pano roof > sunshade replacement

loujet

Veteran Member
Hi all, after a dumb mistake, I must replace the sunshade of my '11 sportwagen pano roof...

Did a lot of research here and on the other forum without any success, even the Bentley does not mention anything.

Any hint or help will be super appreciated! thx!

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
what exactly are you asking for? i didn't read any details.

loujet

Veteran Member
well, mainly advice as to where to start from, do removing the rear glass portion of the pano roof would be enough to slip new sunshade into the "roll holder", will there be enough room to slip the flat metal wire into the guide tracks or will I need to remove the headliner and replace from below...

loujet

Veteran Member
yep, part 11 is the one I need to change, actually, already have it on hand, it comes along with a metal "roll holder" but I am sure this metal part does not have to be changed, there must be a way to insert that roll of sunshade material into the already present "roll holder". Hard to explain...!

loujet

Veteran Member
not in pain yet, just seeking some advice on the how to!! I sure someone who took this apart will chime in.

I have to change the sunshade because of an operator error... very not a VW defect!

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
not in pain yet, just seeking some advice on the how to!! I sure someone who took this apart will chime in.

I have to change the sunshade because of an operator error... very not a VW defect!

Even operator error will be covered under warranty if you are under 36000 miles.Give it a try if you are under the mileage.

Donald

BITRBO

TDI
'09 JSW DSG
Bumping this old thread so see if anyone out there has done this before... My pano shade has always been sagging a bit on the pass side, and a dumbass coworker messed with it the other day and now it's completely loose all along that side. I'm assuming there is a track that the edge slides in? With clips maybe? Do I have to take the entire headliner down or just a portion?

How do I fix this??

TIA

jahlov420

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen MANUAL! DPF-Delete @ stage 2
i had mine replaced. there are two kinds of sunshades. a black one and a cornskin one. i ordered my part on ebay for around $240 and paided a local collision center about 200 to replace it. all in all it was about $440 to fix it. the dealer was quoting around $800. i don't have the part number sorry. try that route.

fastball

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Golf Wagon, DSG, panoramic sunroof, Weathertech mats, Curt hitch
After some binding issues with my pano roof, my dealer replaced the whole thing.
While the binding issue has seemingly been resolved, I'm still not entirely happy with it - as it seem to chatter and rattle a bit while going over (not so) rough pavement. But only when it's closed...when it's open, everything is great.

BITRBO

TDI
'09 JSW DSG
i had mine replaced. there are two kinds of sunshades. a black one and a cornskin one. i ordered my part on ebay for around $240 and paided a local collision center about 200 to replace it. all in all it was about $440 to fix it. the dealer was quoting around $800. i don't have the part number sorry. try that route.
Thanks, but I was hoping to avoid replacement if possible, as the shade is actually in great condition. It just came off the pass-side track is all.

After some binding issues with my pano roof, my dealer replaced the whole thing.
While the binding issue has seemingly been resolved, I'm still not entirely happy with it - as it seem to chatter and rattle a bit while going over (not so) rough pavement. But only when it's closed...when it's open, everything is great.
we may be talking about two different things ;)

Martyna

TDI
Jetta
Any success storied on the shade issues?

Mine (on a 2009 Jetta Wagon) got loose on one side - you could see that the glue dried up, and lost hold of the track. I guess the southern sun fried it, as the remains were dry and crumbly... Anyway, my helpful 3 year old thought he would help the process and pulled on the shade, which just came completely out the driver side track, and half the back.

Dealership said I can have it glued back in... by an upholstery shop. Replacing the whole thing was priced at $750... Well, a guy at one of the shops I stopped at removed the shade for me: touched the other side trying to figure out where it's held, and it fell into to car... So we slid the front strap out (works like a bikini top on a Jeep).

I'm left with a piece of fabric (nothing wrong with it), a little bit of a funny looking metal spring sticking out of the back of the whole system (where I guess the roller sits), and not sure where to go next.

(1) Have anyone glued their shade back in? (2) If I order the replacement (~$250 shade element only) - can the rest (track, springs), be reused? (3) How do I / the upholsterer get to it? Taking the glass out? Do we need to touch the headliner?

I went by a window tinting shop, and having a really dark tint out in place (the 5% light through) will cost me under a $100, and the tint would help not fry my kids in the 100 degree weather... But that kind of defeats a purpose of having a pano roof...

Thank you for any suggestions...

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
....dumb-ass coworkers would appear to be an occupational hazard........

ez

bens993

TDI
2011 JSW
Any success storied on the shade issues?

Mine (on a 2009 Jetta Wagon) got loose on one side - you could see that the glue dried up, and lost hold of the track. I guess the southern sun fried it, as the remains were dry and crumbly... Anyway, my helpful 3 year old thought he would help the process and pulled on the shade, which just came completely out the driver side track, and half the back.

Dealership said I can have it glued back in... by an upholstery shop. Replacing the whole thing was priced at $750... Well, a guy at one of the shops I stopped at removed the shade for me: touched the other side trying to figure out where it's held, and it fell into to car... So we slid the front strap out (works like a bikini top on a Jeep).

I'm left with a piece of fabric (nothing wrong with it), a little bit of a funny looking metal spring sticking out of the back of the whole system (where I guess the roller sits), and not sure where to go next.

(1) Have anyone glued their shade back in? (2) If I order the replacement (~$250 shade element only) - can the rest (track, springs), be reused? (3) How do I / the upholsterer get to it? Taking the glass out? Do we need to touch the headliner?

I went by a window tinting shop, and having a really dark tint out in place (the 5% light through) will cost me under a $100, and the tint would help not fry my kids in the 100 degree weather... But that kind of defeats a purpose of having a pano roof...

Thank you for any suggestions...
just look online. Get the part number and google it. The whole assembly is --If you have the grey one its under 200 on eBay. Jim Ellis vw in atlanta has the tan corn silk one online for 249.00. I had my local dealer match it. Have not dropped the headliner yet.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Any updates to what happened in replacing this?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If the OP does fix it, he should make sure it is fully closed, then take out the fuse and never open it again.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I ended up just tearing it out and not messing with it. Car gets warmer right now, but I have so many projects on my plate, this is no longer a priority. Lesson learned - don't ever buy a vehicle with a sunroof again.

andykurz

TDI
shopping
You could probably add tint to the sunroof to help reduce heat - certainly would be easier than replacing the shade which isn't that effective anyway.

These sunroofs are great when they work though! I am not sure if it helps, but I try to "exercise" mine once or twice a month in the winter so it is less likely to get stuck. Could be a waste of time but it is pretty easy.