HVAC issue, Constant heat

braco

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hi I have an issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with. My 2000 Jetta has recently developed an issue where there is constantly heat coming out of the vents. The blower control still works and I can control the volume of air coming out but cannot completely stop the heat. It is still uncomfortably warm even with the outside temp being 40-50 degrees. This leads me to believe that my issue has to do with the mixing control.
Has anyone had issues with this or have any insight about what to do about it. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks, Caleb
P.S. I did try and search but came up with limited results.

skatanic

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf 450k
IMO its more of a blender door than a valve. The control for the heater pullers a cable attached to it, and sometimes the attach point falls out.

I find it easiest to to reach it from the passenger side, on the left part of the floor. Try to stick your hand under there and turn the heat control back and forth while feeling for movement. One you feel it check to see if it is off.

Best to get in there and feel around, it's a little difficult to explain on here. I have to put mine back in about twice a year, only takes a minute or 2 now.

skatanic

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf 450k
Let me know how it goes. You make need to stick a finger in the hole that the cable attached to to reseat the door inside. good luck

braco

TDI
2000 Jetta
So I can feel and see the controls for the hot/cool blender as well as the air direction control and they look good. Is the 0-4 blower control mechanical too or is that electric?

skatanic

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf 450k
That's electrical, and it wouldn't affect this anyway.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=222830

check that thread out, they have some pictures of it when its popped out.

It really can only be that blend door some way or another. It is the only part that control whether or not the heat comes through. You can remove some of the plastic to get a better look at it

braco

TDI
2000 Jetta
Thanks for the help, its much appreciated. I think I may have figured the issue out. By manually moving the arm that the cable attaches to I noticed that I was able to move it about 3/4 inch farther towards the cold setting than the cable would push it. I think that the cable housing has slipped backwards a bit in its clamp therefore the cable runs out of extension before the arm is pushed all the way to the cool setting.

Does that sound reasonable?

skatanic

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf 450k
I've never really looked at the other end of the cable, but sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I think you're have to disassemble the lower dash

braco

TDI
2000 Jetta
Its the end of the housing where the cable comes out to activate the arm. Its visible from the drivers side removable trim piece. I haven't had time to mess with the clip and move the housing back as its almost finals week. So I just pushed the arm with my finger to cold because its getting warmer out now. Thanks again for the help.

Caleb

skatanic

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf 450k
Glad you got it on cold. First time this happened to me was in July and the heat was absolutely brutal.

Good luck on your finals man.