Brad's TDI 1, Brad 0

Bradtholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I'm really not that bad at working on cars, I swear! This TDI has been impossible for me to do all but the simplest things... gah. Here's how my attempt at replacing my injector washer went:

Snapped off inside the head. Grrr! I tightened it down finger tight, set my torque wrench to 20 ft-lbs and gave it a few turns. Then snap. :mad: I tried the "20 ft-lbs" on my wheel lugs, which had been previously set to 90 ft-lbs. It kept tightening them. I should've noticed I was tightening it too much, but too late now.

Anyways, just had to vent. Hopefully Reto at Lorne Park doesn't curse me too much.... and hopefully he'll fix it!!

flodiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
My question is what kind of torque wrench you using? The ones I am using at work are supposed to be calibrated once a year. Nevertheless, I would like to know what brand you using... just to stay away.:eek:

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Which is why when I pulled mine and started torquing and one didn't feel right. I went down to the store and got Grade 12.9 HEX head. Easier to fit a hex head in there plus it's grade 12.9 :)

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Best way to limit the torque is to use the socket on one of those screw driver handles. Try at full effort and you wont be able to break anything and should be able to acheive 20 to 25 ft/lbs.

No risk to the bolts :) hard on your hands.

I like the older torque wrenches with the bar indicator. The new ones are all over the map as far as the spring in them.

Bradtholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I think replacing all these bolts next time I have the injectors out will be the way to go. I'm kind of glad the bolt failed before stripping the threads... although the fix would've been easier.

The real count is probably Brad's TDI 42, Brad 0... but who's counting. :)

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I never torque those things down to spec. That is my worse fear when doing nozzles is snapping one of those suckers off in the head. I tighten it down, give it a tad bit more and that's it. Worst thing that is going to happen is that I'll have a leak and I'll have to open up the hood again to tighten it some more.

redlinedave

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta wagon
What size is the bolt you up grade to a 12.9?Im doing my injectors when it warms up and that looks like a good idea.Im guessing its a 8mmx1.25 but how long?

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Dammmit...Tech tool tip No. 104...always release the spring tension on your torque wrench after using it...A little lube on your torque wrench from time to time also keeps things free and moving. Tools with moving parts like cars, need a little maintenace from time to time. And at certified repair shops, yearly calibration is required.

That sucks brad....small drill, and an easy out I guess. Fussy work.

good luck

Craig

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
redlinedave said:
What size is the bolt you up grade to a 12.9?Im doing my injectors when it warms up and that looks like a good idea.Im guessing its a 8mmx1.25 but how long?
Same length. I forget. I was tightening and it just had that 'feel' of it over torquing. I hopped in my borrowed car and went straight down to the hardware store. Thankfully they're fairly well stocked. Got an identical length and size and matched threads and it had a nice shiny 12.9 stamped into it. I suppose if I had a show engine I could have gone with stainless too.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
VDubbing said:
what is grade 12.9??
Junior College ??? Repeated last year of high-school ????

Sorry to hear of this Brad...

Be careful if you replace the bolt with a 12.9 grade one... the threads in the head aren't that robust...

Yuri.

tochtli83

Banned
TDI
2003 TDi
Has no one noticed that the original post, he said he torqued it to 20 FT/LBS? The proper spec is 20 n/m, not 20 ft/lbs. It may seem like a slight difference, but I once tried to torque a strech bolt to 16 n/m, and the book called for 10 n/m. I snapped the bolt off in the block. Luckily, I got it out with an easy out.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
There is a bit of a difference when you use a factor of:

1.356 ft/lbs = 1 n/m

If the spec calls for 20 n/m then 27 ft/lbs should be the correct conversion. I think Brad was on his way to 90 ft/lbs then the bolt broke.

I have often confused my injector retaining bolts with my lugbolts! Sorry Brad just funning with you.

The busted piece should come out easy because it probably didn't bottom out in the hole. All you need is a small drill bit and an easy-out.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
One more simple suggestion: Try a left handed drill bit if you can find one. Often this is enough to get the broken piece out. Calibrate torque wrench? Where can you get this done? I have three that I would like to cal, but don't know where to send them.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
PB_NB said:
There is a bit of a difference when you use a factor of:

1.356 ft/lbs = 1 n/m

If the spec calls for 20 n/m then 27 ft/lbs should be the correct conversion. I think Brad was on his way to 90 ft/lbs then the bolt broke.
Where are you getting your math at?

Torque is a Newton-meter not newton/meter.

1 newton = 0.224808943 pounds force
1 meter = 3.2808399 feet

20 Newton-meter * 3.28 feet / ( 1 meter ) * (0.2248 lbf/1 newton) = 14.7 foot - pound force.

No wonder so many people break things.

If you get confused on the conversion, google will do it for you

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
DS, your right and according to google (most trusted source in the universe), I wasn't paying attention to math and got it backwards.

Thanks for not saying "good luck" :)

Bradtholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
PB_NB said:
Not quite - I tried what the torque wrench said was 20 ft-lbs on my wheel lugs (which were at 90 ft-lbs) and I could keep tightening them.

Hmm, I missed the 20 N-m spec, thought it was 20 ft-lbs.

I did release the tension on the wrench after I used it last. First one I've had fail on me...

Ah well. Lesson learned anyways.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
My princess auto torque wrench has been good so far...snap on trucks can provide calibration for you. I am sure there are other outfits that do it also.(if someone is really concerned I can find out at work where they send thier stuff) I compared mine to one I use at work which is calibrated annually. It was well within tolerances.

Take it back to them Brad, they will replace it....Even if some of the princess auto stuff is junk, they have great service when things fail.

Craig