Decision, Decision, or maybe not.

3rs

TDI
2011 Sportwagon, dealer bought back.
My 04 TDi Jetta, automatic is approaching 80,000 miles. Runs perfect, never any problems. I am trying to decide to trade for a new Jetta or keep mine. If I keep it, I will try to make 200,000 miles and junk it. How long do trannys go? How long do engines go? I still get around 50 mpg. I understand the new Jettas are barely getting 40. Cost of the new Jetta is a deterrant, may cause me to look at other cars. Whadda ya thinkl?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
My 04 TDi Jetta, automatic is approaching 80,000 miles. Runs perfect, never any problems. I am trying to decide to trade for a new Jetta or keep mine. If I keep it, I will try to make 200,000 miles and junk it. How long do trannys go? How long do engines go? I still get around 50 mpg. I understand the new Jettas are barely getting 40. Cost of the new Jetta is a deterrant, may cause me to look at other cars.
Welcome to Fred's. I am not sure I follow your thought process. You have a Jetta that contains the "new" PD technology. Why are you considering swapping cars? You would take a horrible beating on re-sale and you already own a car you report being flawless. Where's the logic?

I can only suggest having the transmission serviced soon and keep up with other reqd maintenance, obviously.

Take care.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>I will try to make 200,000 miles and junk it.<<

Why ??

I realize that the PD engine's fairly new on this continent, but previous VW Diesel engines have gone well past 500,000 miles...

As DD says, just maintain it well - make sure it gets the correct 505.01 oil, and it should serve you equally well!! However, try to find a good independent mechanic rather than the dealership to do the major work (timing belt)...

Yuri.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Yeah, the PD is a sweet design and you may be achieving new fuel economy records if you make 50MPGs on every tank. Now that's saying something assuming those are USA MPGs!!

Your car is probably worth more than you think.

3rs

TDI
2011 Sportwagon, dealer bought back.
OOps! Mine is a 2003 Jetta. Brain F___!

IW

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
My 04 TDi Jetta, automatic is approaching 80,000 miles. Runs perfect, never any problems.
Plan on replacing your tranny fluid when you get the TB done, and then every 100k miles thereafter.