Clicking noise, interior, driver's side

Felcom

TDI
2011 Golf TDI - DSG
2011 Golf TDI

So this noise is driving me a little crazy. It's a very faint clicking noise like a small piece of metal is lightly tapping on the inside of the trim.

It seems to be coming from the driver's side column underneath where the seat belt comes out, about bicep level, where the black part of the trim starts.

It doesn't seem like a loose-part "rattle". It seems like some part is trying to perform a function, but failing and trying again.

Some info to help:

• Happens while driving (almost 100% of the time, I believe)
  • Not constant or always present
  • Possibly tied to acceleration?
  • No warning lights / accidents / problems with seat belt
  • Once heard, cannot be unheard :mad:
  • Could possibly be the rear driver-side door as well (hard to pinpoint the noise while not crashing my car)
I had my 6k mile checkup yesterday and I had them take the assembly of that area apart and reassemble as I know that can sometimes fix weird noises. Of course, they didn't hear anything and of course, the noise returned as I was driving away from the dealership.

Would love to hear some suggestions as to what I should check.

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
If it's faint, and occasional it could be relays under the left side of the dash which cycle for such things as the Electric cabin, mirror and front nozzle heaters. Faint sounds are often perceived as coming from somewhere other than their origination points

Has it been below 40°F in your location lately?

If so, that's what I'm betting on. Try some tests with heat on and off to see if the noise is more frequent.

If that's it, then you'll just have to go crazy, as it is normal.

P.

fujii13

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW
Good luck getting the dealer to find the issue. I had to take mine there for three times in a month just to get the whistling to go away.

Tabou

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon Highline - 6MT
Hi, I have that click too. But from the sound, I beleive it is a relay that is going on/off. I don't recall hearing it in the summer.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
How about that annoying buzzing sound at low speed coming from the passenger side overhead light?

Felcom

TDI
2011 Golf TDI - DSG
Would the relays be going off if I didn't have the heat on? I live in Orlando, FL and while I sometimes turn the heat on in the mornings, generally it's off and I have it set to cool. Or maybe the temperature doesn't matter?

Either way I'm glad it seems that nothing is broken. As long as I know the noise is supposed to be there, I can probably get used to it. :cool:

Spoiled

TDI
tdi coming soon
It is the heater grid relay, 100% normal in the cold.
I had a similar problem years ago in my passat. I described the ticking to the dealer as sounding like something powering up, then powering down. Had about a 10 - 20 second interval between events. It turned out it to be the passenger seat heater. The dealership was able to fix it by replacing the relay.
Do you have side view mirrors that have a heating feature? Maybe they are set to the "on" position and you are hearing a relay cycling to power the heating element for the sideview mirror? I'm not sure what the feature looks like in the JSW, but in the passat the position for turning the mirror heaters on, is labeled with wavy lines. Just a thought triggered by Oilhammers theory
(edit) and I see now PaulGiz also mentioned the mirrors.

Last edited:

superbutta808

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6sp MT
Even with counter balancing, the 2.0CR TDI vibrates quite a bit more than your average high octane 4 banger. I've got all sorts of dash rattles and whistling around door seals. There's a unique combination of road surface composition, engine RPM, Temperature and vehicle speed that causes these things to resonate under very unique conditions. It was irritating at first. Now I just turn up the volume so all that sh*t disappears.

Tweak3D

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I fixed the rear liscense plate rattle by cutting the screws down and adding rubber stops to keep it from moving.

Overhead rattel was fixed by applying felt to the area where the console and its trim meet.

Door rattles were narrowed down to the leatherette trim rubbing against the plastic. I stuffed some felt between the two pieces where to noise was coming from to reduce the play and this took care of that noise.

Passenger vent rattle was fixed by removing the vent and applying very small amounts of grease to the main left/right vent adjuster as it was ticking over bumps and on acceleration.

Passenger seat belt recepticle rattle was fixed by placing a folded wad of felt between the seat and the belt recepticle as it was only rattle when allowed to move freely.

Trunk cover rattle was fixed my applying foam pads between the rear cover pull out thingy and the car itself. It doesn't move at all anymore, but still comes in and out easily.

Only noise issues I have to fix now is a drivers side door seal which hisses and squeals every now and again. I also get some excess road noise from the bad OEM tires which I hope to replace soon.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
There are no relays that I know of in the door jamb/B-pillar. The aux heat, rear defrost relays, and other relays under the dash sound exactly like that: like they're under the dash.

My '10 has made a strange clicking sound in the door jamb, off & on since new. I occasionally hear it from the pass door as well as the driver's side. I've heard it with the engine running parked, driving down the road, and parked with the engine off & key out of the ignition. To me it sounds like it's the weather stripping for the door. I've heard it on hot days and in the cold. I don't want the dealer to touch it because quite often once plastic things are taken apart, they never go back together quite the same.

Felcom

TDI
2011 Golf TDI - DSG
There are no relays that I know of in the door jamb/B-pillar. The aux heat, rear defrost relays, and other relays under the dash sound exactly like that: like they're under the dash.

My '10 has made a strange clicking sound in the door jamb, off & on since new. I occasionally hear it from the pass door as well as the driver's side. I've heard it with the engine running parked, driving down the road, and parked with the engine off & key out of the ignition. To me it sounds like it's the weather stripping for the door. I've heard it on hot days and in the cold. I don't want the dealer to touch it because quite often once plastic things are taken apart, they never go back together quite the same.
So yesterday I decided to investigate further, and similar to you, it does actually sound like the noise is originating from the door jamb. I think we might be hearing the same thing.

I'm not really sure what I should do about it. It's not a big deal, but I'd prefer it not be there (obviously).

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
So yesterday I decided to investigate further, and similar to you, it does actually sound like the noise is originating from the door jamb. I think we might be hearing the same thing.

I'm not really sure what I should do about it. It's not a big deal, but I'd prefer it not be there (obviously).
I've learned to tune it out, but there are times when it drives me up the wall. I'm thinking some Turtle Wax in the door jamb or silicone on the gasket might be worth a try.

bsalbrig

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
Mine has the noise in the door jamb...both sides; it and my father's golf have done it since new. It is not a relay but it does sound like one. I would love to learn what it is to fix it but I am unmotivated to pull my door panels off at this point.

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
How about that annoying buzzing sound at low speed coming from the passenger side overhead light?
This is also a feature, not a bug.:D
I have it too, exactly at 1600-1650rpm. Drove me nuts. Arggh. Now it's unplugged and in my console; saving it as a science project for the dealer at my 20K service. :D

Last edited:

Kirbstomp

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have the same too from both sides. What I've done when I couldn't stand it was lightly punch it gently and it does go away. Barbaric as it sounds I seem to fix many things with this method, car related or not. If someone wants to try this to I'd like to know if you get the same results. Thought I may have been the only one.

Msrushing

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I'm currently fighting this same issue.
I have found that if you leave the car in the sun for several hours and then drive you hear the clicking noise from the exact spot as the OP pointed out in his picture. (my car is even red also)
If you open the door and squeeze the top corner of the door you will hear it creak and make that same sound. When the car is cold or right out of the garage you will not be able to squeeze the top corner and make that sound. Everything will appear as normal until the car heats up. After driving for a while it goes away as the door cools down after not being in direct sunlight.

I will post what my dealer comes up with for a fix.

Msrushing

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
After a couple trips to the dealership the tech was finally able to hear the ticking sound from the drivers door. They removed the black strip from the door pillar and put some anti rattle pads under it. This seems to have resolved the issue.
Good luck to anyone fighting this problem!

Bob Sacamano

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
i have a similar problem. The dealer told me it could be the locking mechanism of the seatbelt.

I still think that it is due to loose striker plates.

the dealer has not been helpful

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
I dunno if it is the same noise or not, but I have noticed a ticking noise in the pillar since new....the odd thing is it is a pretty consistent rythem akin to water dripping down or something. Seems to be most prevelent when it is hot out. I know it isnt water of course...but I've never heard such a consistant tick....tick....tick...tick from a standard rattle. It wouldnt surprise me if it was some sort of relay or something.

Msrushing

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Squeeze the top corner of your door when you hear the noise. You will be able to make the door squeek by just squeezing it a little. When it cools off you wont be able to make the same sound. Have the dealer remove the black plastic on the door between the drivers window and the back window and add anti noise pads under it. Its been a week for me now and the noise is totally gone.

duderino

TDI
MKVI Golf TDI
I had the same annoying ticking sound coming from both sides of my car and fixed em both by adding a little dry graphite lubricant to the latch mechanism on the door! I guess the latches were sticking a little and when the door moves relative to the body the striker forces the latch to move a little and voila, a little tick sound. ...didn't sound like it was coming from there inside the car, but lubing that up on both sides fixed the problem permanently! Hope that helps someone :)

shadowblue746

TDI
Golf 1.6TDI
I have the clicking metalic click but only in the cold weather and also the overhead console light buzz-but only in the warm weather.

jonb2565

TDI
Jetta
Finally I know I'm not going CRAZY!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with clicks in my left ear from the driver's side door. It's hard to pinpoint the exact location of the clicks but I purchased teflon lubricant that's safe for rubber and applied it to the underside of the driver's side door seals. I suspect this is the cause of the clicks. Try it and see if this stops the noise. Let me know how you make out.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
Spray silicone with the little red spray attachment might be able to reach the parts and decrease the friction noise without hurting anything. Won't cost much or hurt anything to try at least.

You comedians calling these noises "features" are pretty funny and shows a good attitude.

Last edited: