Boraparts.com 02J 5 -> 6 speed Conversion Kits!

drklawz

TDI
2002 Golf HB, 4dr
price point good

That's what it looked like, an extension bolting on the outside edge of the t-case (where the cover is now). $1100-$1500 is a good price point, considering the overall effect it could have on driveablility for mild to mid-tuned cars.

Again, no miracles, it won't strengthen the drivetrain or take 300+ HP, but bang for the buck I want to keep my SB clutch, LSD, VR6 axles and all the other goodies I already have... and go 125 mph plus :D

Count me in.

Kree

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
I still have a 5th gear reduction that I haven't used yet, any way it can still be used in this kit?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I still have a 5th gear reduction that I haven't used yet, any way it can still be used in this kit?
Yeah we can use it, just send it in and we'll modify it.

TDI fest has me very well occupied at the moment. Let's get through that, get this first one installed, and then we'll plan on taking deposits near the end of September on a first come first served basis. I'm not going to commit to full scale production, but we hope to be able to churn these out around that time.

Thanks all!
-BB

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Aaron; What is your sense, will this kit also work in the A5 platforms 04A 5 speed transmission as used with the BRM?

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Anyone prod Aaron if the fit is fine in the b4?
It should... the b4 uses control arms that are the same length as the MK3, but has a bit more distance between the points at which they attach. this means that if the tire at full lock does not rub the transmission when installed in a MK3 - it will definitely fit the B4.

Would be nice to know for sure though! My MKII needs one of these! :D

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
The issue with the B4 is the lack of room between the trans and the metal wheel well. I spoke with Aaron at fest and was hoping he'd have on there so I could do some measuring, but he didn't have one with him. He said he'd take some measurements and either let know what they are so I can physically measure or he'd measure the clearance himself. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Interested! And a little bumpage for a great, useful product, from a great guy! :>)

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Im glad another one of these popped up, I was kinda disappointed when the other thread (cant think of the OP for the life of me) died out for bolt on 6 speed conversions. I need to get a working backup car so I can have my trans out for a few days to completely refurb, and upgrade when I do something like this

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
We've decided to have our 1st kit go in JetPuf's car. We're coordinating with Oldpoopie for the install. Plan is to get plenty of pics and have a howto CD to go with it. Things are progressing nicely :).
-BB

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I can't wait to see the outcome. This moved up in the list of things I plan on doing. This and a clutch are likely next since I need the clutch before anymore power is added. Any chance of a deal on a clutch kit with a 6th gear kit since I see several doing both at one time.

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Or what about an LSD and 6th kit? :D Thats my plan. Full rebuild, get the gears atleast cryo treated and possibly go with the non brass (cant think of the material, not metal at all) blocker rings for the synchronizers.

BleachedBora

TDI
We don't make much on Peloquins, we mostly have them as a service and keep the price down because we know how good they are to have.

Same with clutches, for example I have a $10 markup (yes, that is correct) on our stage II clutch kit. This is factoring in average shipping costs as well as credit card fees.

If someone wanted to get a clutch and a Peloquin with this kit, and send in a check to save me credit card fees then I'd be willing to put together a package deal, no problem. We do this on a case by case basis, so give me a call. :)

Cheers,
-BB

MiksTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Galactic Blue
Can you explain any/little bit on what modification you have to do on the 5th gear? I still have my stock 5th in a bag. I am guessing you are either sending a modified 5 gear w/the kit or people will take off their old 5th gear/or upgraded 5th and send it in for you to modify to make the new 6th possible to add on to the shafts.

I am very interested in this kit & I think we all appreciate the work you have put into it so far.:)

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
And I have some questions for you - are there bearings supporting the end of each shaft out there in the new aluminum housing past 6th gear? Can we get a pic of 5th and 6th gears installed without the cover on? and maybe on of the inside of the cover?
Since the pinion gear is part of the output shaft - I imagine that the kits will need to be made to match the existing R&P ratio. What R&P ratios are expected to be supported?

I will definitely need one of these for the Golf! :)

And thanks for putting in the effort on this! I'm glad someone had the
to do this! :D

therealvrt

TDI
none
interested in this for my vr turbo. would like to see pics and info on how this mounted to existing stacks and what gears (5-6) can be used. Also curious on how the ends are tied together, i am having problems with stacks spreading apart and killing my 3rd and 4th gears
thanks

Whitbread

TDI
Several
interested in this for my vr turbo. would like to see pics and info on how this mounted to existing stacks and what gears (5-6) can be used. Also curious on how the ends are tied together, i am having problems with stacks spreading apart and killing my 3rd and 4th gears
thanks
If you're having spreading issues, it's time for a 02m swap. The only way to keep them from spreading with very high power is to install one of these http://www.aptuning.com/index.php?p...tegory_id=697&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14 which makes you lose 5th gear. Fix the forks and toss a lsd in the 02m and you'd be golden.

Good work on this Aaron! I think this would be great for lower hp guys :).

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
With all the guys who are into serious modifications on this site, I'm surprised I haven't seen even one sequential gearbox! 02J and 02M can both be fitted with straight-cut gears and shifted sequentially, (which is quite a lot faster).

With a tall 1st gear and closer 2-4/2-6 gear sequential setup, guys would be taking a second off their 1/4mi times.

Sorry Aaron, not trying to take away from your conversion... you have by far the most practical solution for an 02J! Sequential transmissions and straight cut gears are generally poor for a road car.

Last edited:

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Whitbread, where do you consider the breakpoint between low hp/tq and high hp/tq to be?
Somewhere around ~250hp and ~400tq would be my hypothesis on where you might be wiser to go to a 02m over an 02J. So basically maybe 1 or 2% of tdi's out there haha. As I said earlier, I think this is a great product for the masses. Quiafe makes a similar kit for gasser 02j's, but of course the ratios are all wrong for us.

With all the guys who are into serious modifications on this site, I'm surprised I haven't seen even one sequential gearbox! 02J and 02M can both be fitted with straight-cut gears and shifted sequentially, (which is quite a lot faster).

With a tall 1st gear and closer 2-4/2-6 gear sequential setup, guys would be taking a second off their 1/4mi times.

Sorry Aaron, not trying to take away from your conversion... you have by far the most practical solution for an 02J! Sequential transmissions and straight cut gears are generally poor for a road car.
Ditto! A seqential dog box would the cats meow. SQS Racing in Germany makes a setup for the 02M in TDI ratio, but it's almost $4K if I remember right :(.

Last edited:

BleachedBora

TDI
Fascinating, if I understood my guy correctly he can make straight cut gears of any ratio all day long....Time to do some digging.... :)
-BB