Pancake pipe upgrade?

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I heard a 1.8t stock pancake pipe would probably fit and flow better.

I did some searching on "pancake" and "pancake upgrade", "upgrade pancake" (I really miss the old bolean radio knob to check!)

I have a VNT17 and the stock TDI one seems restrictive.

I don't need a spiffy new chrome one - what do folks here do?

And does stock tire clearance become an issue?

This is for my 01 Golf TDI auto.

Last edited:

noraayrrek

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi
i'm in the process of making some out of some muller piping, ill post up some picks when i'm done if you want?

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
The 1.8t pipe will definitely fit (It is in the exact same location on the 1.8t golf/jetta). I assume the only reason they used the plastic one on the TDI was to save a few dollars. I believe you'll need to work out a different connector on the turbo side though.

noraayrrek

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi
okay got it all welded up, what a pain it is to make the lower pipe work without any silicone fittings :p

ill post up some pics tomorrow

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
The 1.8t pipe will definitely fit (It is in the exact same location on the 1.8t golf/jetta). I assume the only reason they used the plastic one on the TDI was to save a few dollars. I believe you'll need to work out a different connector on the turbo side though.

Someone has a Neuspeed one on sale - metal and under 100 bucks. That's finally what pushed me to investigate this. The dealer/wholesaler that has it listed can't find a TDI listing either so as you'd imagine he won't tell me it'll work on a TDI.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
okay got it all welded up, what a pain it is to make the lower pipe work without any silicone fittings :p

ill post up some pics tomorrow

Great.

Any interest in making another one and shipping to the USA?

I'll be gone fishing for a few days.

noraayrrek

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi
the one i made works but doesn't look very nice so i am going to try something else ill keep you posted

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
Im in the same process...but with my TDI ALH....i want to get one long tube straight from the turbo to the intercooler...

The turbo diamater is 1.5" and the intercooler diamater is 2.5"

I was able to get a 1.5" INNER DIAMATER PVC see through braided plastic tube from home depot..its pretty thick, so i dont think it would be melting (especially if i put it away from the engine as much as possible...but would the oil leaking into it melt it?

But anyhow...i need to figure out how to get the 1.5" ID tube fit into a 2.5" ID....i went to canadian tire, lowes, home depot and rona...noone carries 2.5" ID hoses.

any ideas what i could do?

btw...i;m doing this so that i have one solid flow of air flowing...not a bunch of tubes and clamps connected...like the pankcake pipe (hate it...keeps popping off)

BgRedBrck

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 JETTA
This may help. Reducer. Put the reducer on the inter-cooler and use a small piece of metal stock to attach your 1.5" hose.

I would be worried about the tube deteriorating with the oil and harsh environment of the engine. I would also look at how it bends. I'm thinking the bends are going close down the air flow. It would be like the difference between standard exhaust bends and mandrel bent exhaust.

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
really dont want to go through the trouble of ordering online and all that....anyone know where i can just pick it up in canada? more specifically in the GTA

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
A plumbing "Fernco" fitting?

They come in all kinds of mis-matched sizes, are rubberish, use hose clamp to tighten. Made for plumbing instances just like this or when there are alignment issues and you need a little fudge factor.

Lowes, Home Depot, any decent hardware store or plumbing supply place.

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
I wouldnt suggest anything for Plumbing. They dont stand up to the heat and pressure that the turbo will create. you end up warping them and then they burst. More trouble than its worth. Look around on Ebay for a silicone reducer.

noraayrrek

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi
i used the SOWS (soil or waste stack) plumbing rubber fitting with the tin on the out side on my upper ic pipes seems to be good plus they have to be able to with stand 75*C min according to plumbing code as i reacall, so i figured my upper ic pipes souldn't get much hotter than that ever