Proper Valeo SMF Conversion/Clutch Kit for MKV TDI BRM on boraparts.com

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Hi All,

If anyone is considering installing a Valeo SMF conversion kit in their MKV you can get the proper kit (the correct part number is 52285616 NOT 52255602) on boraparts.com.

http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=514

I spoke with Aaron and he has 6 of these kits available... so first come, first served. I have already put my order in. So, make that 5 available.

This kit is specific to the the MKV TDI BRM engine.

You can verify this on Valeo's website:

http://www.valeoclutches.com/Products/Clutch+Kits/Conversion+Kits/Conversion+Kits/45

and

http://www.valeoclutches.com/productselector

Also, I am curious to know if this is an upgraded clutch kit with more holding power. I can't seem to find the power specs on it. If you have this kit and know that it might have more holding power, could you post some info about it here?

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
It seems that Valeo serves different part numbers for N.A. market.

If anyone is in Europe (or other locations?) and want a Valeo SMF Kit for their Mk5, then the correct number is 835035. Here is a reference for that: http://www.hamar.cz/lang-en/spojky/433-spojkova-sada-valeo-835035-4-kit-3276428350356.html

In the site mentioned you can see photos, check part numbers by flywheel/OEM p/n (click "More info") or by vehicle (click "Other use").

PS: theinternot, where did you bought your first kit?

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
I see your kit was Made in Spain. Mine is too.

I think the number(s) you have on the box is not Valeo itself; it probably got rebranded somewhere in the process. I doubt Valeo stamp such markings as 'flywheel/clutch' or 'SMF Conv Kit VW Beetle'. I can see the real Valeo number behind the labels: 826317. Can you see it? Also, I'm pretty sure there are real (European) vehicle specifications hiding on the box, behind all those labels.

Not sure if I'll be happier if I know the difference exists and why it exists. One site lists the "US" p/n while the official Valeo catalog (I used a french version when I needed to get a kit, paper version) for my VW seemed to provide 6 digit p/n. I guess it is just for separating Europe and NA markets, probably?

Also, when you'll get your new (the correct one) clutch kit, check your Valeo box and see if you'll be able to find the 835035 number on the box, probably behind the labels too :D

EDIT: seems you got this version: http://www.hamar.cz/clutches/202-clutch-kit-valeo-826317.html

Last edited:

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Hey hid3,

I think you are 100% correct.

I just removed the post suggesting that the part number you were showing was only a portion of the EAN (EU version of the UPC) and not the actual Valeo part number.

I went to look at the label on my box yet again and noticed there are 3 overlapping product labels:

- RED = original packing label. I think the part number is 826317. Which is this kit on the website you provided:
http://www.hamar.cz/clutches/202-clutch-kit-valeo-826317-3276428263175.html. If you click on the "other use" tab you can confirm that this kit is not MKV compatible.

- BLUE = new US packing label, with 52255602.

- YELLOW = this is either a label that placed by the online vendor's distributor or the online vendor for internal tracking. This has the "Ref Only" number 06A 105 265. This number matches the number displayed on the MJM product page. It might be internal to their system.

Thanks hid3! That was a great link!!

It seems that Valeo serves different part numbers for N.A. market.

If anyone is in Europe (or other locations?) and want a Valeo SMF Kit for their Mk5, then the correct number is 835035. Here is a reference for that: http://www.hamar.cz/lang-en/spojky/433-spojkova-sada-valeo-835035-4-kit-3276428350356.html

In the site mentioned you can see photos, check part numbers by flywheel/OEM p/n (click "More info") or by vehicle (click "Other use").

PS: theinternot, where did you bought your first kit?

Last edited:

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
We were writing the same thing, at the same time! :D

I will definitely check to see if it is 835035. I'm sure you're correct on this.

Thanks!

I see your kit was Made in Spain. Mine is too.

I think the number(s) you have on the box is not Valeo itself; it probably got rebranded somewhere in the process. I doubt Valeo stamp such markings as 'flywheel/clutch' or 'SMF Conv Kit VW Beetle'. I can see the real Valeo number behind the labels: 826317. Can you see it? Also, I'm pretty sure there are real (European) vehicle specifications hiding on the box, behind all those labels.

Not sure if I'll be happier if I know the difference exists and why it exists. One site lists the "US" p/n while the official Valeo catalog (I used a french version when I needed to get a kit, paper version) for my VW seemed to provide 6 digit p/n. I guess it is just for separating Europe and NA markets, probably?

Also, when you'll get your new (the correct one) clutch kit, check your Valeo box and see if you'll be able to find the 835035 number on the box, probably behind the labels too :D

EDIT: seems you got this version: http://www.hamar.cz/clutches/202-clutch-kit-valeo-826317.html

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
No problem!
Nice we now know how to figure out & check if the kit is correct :)

Hope you'll enjoy your proper kit. Don't forget to change the one-time bolts (transmission mounts and etc). Also, I'd sugegst changin the transmission fluid.

I have my Valeo kit already a year (about 10k miles, I don't drive much). I can't have been happier. It is super smooth and you hardly can tell it isn't a DMF. *Sometimes* it makes some rattle/grinding/etc but that's hardly noticable and is absolutely normal.

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Finally, correct Valeo kit installed!

Hey hid3,

Indeed, I do.

Aaron got me the kit a day ahead of time!

Bottom line: the kit's are completely different.

All the issues I had with the incorrect kit from MJM have disappeared.

The clutch action is light and smooth as silk. No more popping/clunking when I depress the pedal. Engagement is exactly how it should be.... perfect. No more grinding/whirring noises. It's how it should have been the first time.

Here are some pictures comparing the kits:

Kit #52255602 (wrong kit) on top/#52285616 (correct kit) on bottom

Clutch plate - 52285616 has double coil springs vs. single in wrong kit

Flywheels - 52285616 (right one) has an additional 1/2" rear clearance.
I can fit my finger behind it when it's installed. I could barely fit the tip of a flathead screwdriver behind the flywheel with the incorrect kit.

Hope the info on this thread helps.

Any updates on this?

Last edited:

cdutton

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey theInternot.
Chris again. I just received my new kit from Aaron so down to 4. Ordered it Friday and received monday,so I will probaly install this weekend. I was going to drive the rear up on ramps and have the front on jack stands to try and make as much clearance as possible. will that work or is it needed.
also still looking for flywheel holding tool.
Thanks for all your help!! Chris

thirty3

TDI
1.9tdi
Its sounds like u found no difference in pedal or feel. What is the noise like.

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
That should be plenty of clearance, Chris.

My other suggestion would be to get a ratcheting tie down strap with hooks and a beefy ratchet. This made getting the transmission in and out a fairly simple task... you will still need a jack to balance out the transmission... a transmission jack would be ideal... I was able to get a transmission adaptor for my 3 ton floor jack that worked perfectly from Harbor Freight.

I sent you a PM about the flywheel tool.

Hey theInternot.
Chris again. I just received my new kit from Aaron so down to 4. Ordered it Friday and received monday,so I will probaly install this weekend. I was going to drive the rear up on ramps and have the front on jack stands to try and make as much clearance as possible. will that work or is it needed.
also still looking for flywheel holding tool.
Thanks for all your help!! Chris

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Hey thirty3,

I did find a difference actually. The pedal is much lighter and engages closer to the floor. I actually like this quite a bit since I do have some traffic in my commute from time to time. This will ease the my clutching leg a bit I think.

The sound from the flywheel rubbing is gone. I can't even really tell if there is any gear rattle at idle.

However, I have a new problem now.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3045035#post3045035

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I just re-read this and thought maybe you were asking what the noise sounded like.

At idle it was a swooshing sound like two metal pie tins rubbing together. It would oscillate in and out. It sounded exactly like K.I.T. from the tv show Knight Rider... That is the best way to describe it. When I put the engine under load it would be that sound but way faster and higher pitch.

thirty3

TDI
1.9tdi
It was the idle noise. People who have done the swap to smf say the noise make it sound like a massive tractor.

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
No it wasn't.

I know exactly what idle noise/gear rattle sounds like. I have a Valeo kit installed right now. The correct one.

This sounded nothing like it and was 100x louder than gear rattle. It was rubbing up against the back of the block and/or gasket. I watched it happening while I was underneath the car. That sound disappeared after I installed the correct kit.

I'm pretty sure it was the additional 1/2" clearance the correct kit had.

It was the idle noise. People who have done the swap to smf say the noise make it sound like a massive tractor.

Last edited:

thirty3

TDI
1.9tdi
No sorry I think there is a bit of confusion with what I am asking. You asked what noise...,I said idle noise is what i wanted to know..not idle noise was you problem....i was replying to your question of ''what noise'' I was enquiring about lol.

If you had a perfect dmf setup the car sounds like a diesel.

If you swap that dmf for a perfect smf there will be some idle rattle. I was just asking do you have noticible idle rattle from this kit as other have got from other kits. (making it sound even more tractor like...lol)

I'm sorry never knew you had some other rattle or rubbing nver read the thread I only wanted to know what idle noise there was as thats what put people off the smf setup.

Hope its a bit clearer...lol

Last edited:

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Ohhhhhh! Got it. Sorry for the confusion as well.:)

The gear rattle on this kit is hardly noticeable. The Valeo kits are supposed to be the quietest. I can't compare it to anything else but the original DMF, but it really is very minimal.

I have read that the Sachs kits were really noisy with the lighter flywheels, and that the heavier flywheels seem to quiet things down. And apparently, Sachs has some flywheels that don't make so much noise anymore. The flywheel in this kit was 22lbs. So, that probably has quite a bit to do with the minimal noise.

No sorry I think there is a bit of confusion with what I am asking. You asked what noise...,I said idle noise is what i wanted to know..not idle noise was you problem....i was replying to your question of ''what noise'' I was enquiring about lol.

If you had a perfect dmf setup the car sounds like a diesel.

If you swap that dmf for a perfect smf there will be some idle rattle. I was just asking do you have noticible idle rattle from this kit as other have got from other kits. (making it sound even more tractor like...lol)

I'm sorry never knew you had some other rattle or rubbing nver read the thread I only wanted to know what idle noise there was as thats what put people off the smf setup.

Hope its a bit clearer...lol