2008 Fest! COlumbus, Cinci, Dayton?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
2008 Fest! Columbus, Cinci, Dayton?

How about it guys, I think we have enough people in the area on columbustdidrivers and cincitdi groups that we could probably put together one heck of a TDIfest for 2008...
Dayton Airforce Museum, Cosi In Columbus, Louisville Slugger Factory in KY, Rock & ROll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Theres the Fort Rapids indoor Waterpark attached to a highrise Holiday INN like 2 minutes from my house, would probably LOVE to get a big group in with lots of children for the weekend.
Who's In the mood to help with the planning!
Aaron

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
It takes a bit more than talk.......

Ok, so this is a thread in response to many who have inquired as to what is needed to submit an accepted proposal. Those who have organized Fests from previous year, please feel free to post information as to what it took to get your proposal submitted. This is a thread that is meant to encourage others around the nation/world to organize a Fest in their area.

First step: Organize a group of people in your area.
You need a group of people who are dedicated to pulling off this organization, as it is a lot of hard work. People who are willing to give up a few of their weekends to run around and get venues, scope out the area, have frequent meetings.
Next, you need to set up formal meeing times when you can sit down to discuss the fest. This means setting up SEVERAL meetings between the end of the previous fest and the deadline for submitting the proposal (the end of october - giving your 2 months to organize yourself, unless you start earlier than that! ;) )
Once you have everyone collected you'll need to discuss the city/town/area that you are proposing for the fest and organize what information you'll need for the proposal. this is where it gets tricky, as everyone will have idea's as to what they want to DO at the fest. This is not the time for this discussion. Try to keep on track and discuss hotels, parks, other venues where the fest can be held. Then distribute the research work evenly among the group members.

Things you'll need to know about your proposed Fest area:
VENUE! (can't have a fest without a Venue).
- Cost of the venue - if it's a hotel, what are the room rates, food/menu rates, meeting/conference space costs, etc.
if it's in an outdoor space other than a hotel: area rental costs, place to hold the banquet, outdoor wrenching restrictions (environmental laws?)
Things to do around the area: Parks, malls, tourist attractions, places to eat,etc.
- International considerations - passports required, taxes, Currency exchanges, vendor issues (if the fest is going to be over a border other than the US - ie Canada, or wherever else).

Basic Agenda:
- What are you planning on doing with several hundred people for 3 days
- Friday - registrations, evening meet-n-greet usually - what will be your
menu, activity of choice, etc.
- Saturday all day - registrations, activities (tech sessions, vendors, area actvities, etc), food (breakfast, lunch, OR dinner... pick one), activity saturday night?
- Sunday - food (usually the banquet sunday night), Show n shine, other activities, banquet, wrenching, etc.

What are the qualifications of your group members:
WHO ARE THEY?!?! who exactly is going to be in your group. If you have group members that are planning a fest from one location that is different than the actual fest location - Do you have Area Volunteers!?!? :confused: Who are they?
Who has experience organizing large scale events? does their career choice allow them to volunteer for such a dedicated process? In other words, they have the drive, but do they have the time?
Who will be your group "leader" or primary contact/liason?

This is just some information that folks will need to know if they are planning on organizing a fest proposal. Once you submit a proposal, in an organized, informative format - the work gets more abumndant from there. But with the righ crew of volunteers, and everyone pitching in to help, it can go VERY smoothly!

To previuos fest organizers, please feel free to pitch in other information. If you have your previous proposal and would like to link it on the page, i'm sure it would be a great help to future fest organizers, to see what others have done. We need to learn from one another! Maybe this will encourage others to volunteer, rather than compete or stand asside for someone else to do it! Let's help to make Fests in furture years easier and more fun for everyone! :D

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Tough choices in ohio

I have relatives/friends in both - Cincinnati seems to be more connected via interstates but Columbus is not far behind.

Cleveland is farther north but has a lot to offer including the lake. Cleveland might be a bit colder given the lake and time of year (labor day) - Cincinnati would be warmer.

Cincinnati - 1
Columbus/Cleveland - tough #2

I'll take any of the above !!!

Last edited:

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Kentucky - the bourbon trail! :eek: :D The parts I have been on are a beautiful drive..great place for a little cruise!

I second Tomo's sentiments. There is a lot of work and dedication that goes into planning a Fest. I think Ohio--anywhere--would be a great choice. And each year, there are more TDIFest planning veterans who can provide guidance and support. :)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I was thinking about DC also, but I don't think there are enough people around this area who we could rely on to take responsibility for planning, and I'm not going to subject myself to planning a several-hundred-person event with only a handful of people.

So, with that said, if you guys need help with the planning for Ohio, just let me know. I think it's a good location, as it's fairly central for most of the country (except for those of you on the far west coast :().

Just make sure that whatever location you choose, it has a huge parking lot!

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
I'm with VeeDub on this. I'd love to see it in DC (because then I could easily attend!) but we haven't found many willing to help organize it.

So, anything you need, I'll be glad to help.

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
TDIFest in Ohio would be great, i'm all for it. I would be much more accessable then something on the far east or west.

I would be glad to help out in any way i can. Most of Ohio is within 3-4 hours of me so its relatively close.

We should have a pick&pull outing :)

hec

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS 5-speed Reflex Silver
I would also volunteer to help. I don't have any experience organizing
such an event, so I don't think I should be the lead person.

lildevildee said:
I'm with VeeDub on this. I'd love to see it in DC (because then I could easily attend!) but we haven't found many willing to help organize it.

So, anything you need, I'll be glad to help.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Leo819 said:
Tomo

great post, This should be a sticky!! (hint!) Leave it up for all to see.
I didn't actually write that.......Zippy_car did, I just copied and posted it for the interest of interested groups......;)

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
You mean... Zippy-did-do-dat ????

(ducking and running)

Yuri.

(I must be still tired from the Fest... either that or I got sun-stroke...)

tca32123

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDi, Platinum Grey, Grey Leather, ESP, Monsoon Radio and 2003 Jetta Wagon TDi, Forest Green, slush box for the wife
Cincy or Columbus would be very nice -- have fam/friends in both cities. OH has some nice country scenery as well.

However, can I put a word in for those of us down South? I know that I haven't been able to attend any of the last couple fests (only had my TDI for 3 or so years) due to the great distances required to travel. Believe it or not, there are quite a few TDIs in the South, though I'm not sure of the representation here on the board.

Montreal has to be over 1600 miles, Lake Mills was a 1500 mile drive, New England is about 1500 mile drive --- I'm all for driving the TDI on road trips, but thats about a 3 day trip. 3 days there, couple days at the fest and 3 days back. Thats a lot of PTO to be taken.

Atlanta is a very good location. 3 major interstates running into the city and tons of site seeing opportunities/activities to do to fill in some time.

Just my 2 cents, but it would be great to see a Fest a little further South.

Andy
tca32123

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Read what I posted........
They tried to get a group together in FL last year and dropped it immediatley...
You have to have a committed group of folks.....

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
Absolutely what tomo said, if you post you would like it somewhere here and there, then you have to step up and make it happen, there needs to be a core group of at least 3 that are dedicated to it and many volunteers that will help out. We had 3-4 at Michigan in Grand Rapids and lots of helpers, but the 3-4 each took our sections of responsibility and we became responsible for them, worked together as a team and it came off, but you have to take it by the horns, and make it happen, just get it done. Make your group the winner, and we will travel to be a part of it.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
The Ripster said:
Absolutely what tomo said, if you post you would like it somewhere here and there, then you have to step up and make it happen, there needs to be a core group of at least 3 that are dedicated to it and many volunteers that will help out. We had 3-4 at Michigan in Grand Rapids and lots of helpers, but the 3-4 each took our sections of responsibility and we became responsible for them, worked together as a team and it came off, but you have to take it by the horns, and make it happen, just get it done. Make your group the winner, and we will travel to be a part of it.
Thanks for the post up on that, tomo.
Just an FYI for people interested. This year, for montreal, we had 7 Staff members... and we STILL needed more volunteers on the side. without them, the staff would be more delirous than the currently are.

Planning a Fest is LOTS OF WORK. not trying to scare anyone, just telling the truth. make sure if you put a bid in, that you and your group are willing to work really hard for the next 10 months until it's over! it's a commitment.

Any of the above locations are great, just make sure you have a very reliable team together, as well as having all the footwork done to show Fred and the TDIClub community that you really want this to happen in your area.

Start now. I need to start saving money for my plane ticket next year! :cool:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Here's something I've suggested in chat, and I'm just going to toss it out there as an idea...

How about doing it AT an ALMS race? Of course, I don't know the schedule for the 2008 season yet... but if it parallels the 2007 season, for Labor Day weekend, that would be Belle Isle, so Detroit.

Anyway, on the topic of an Ohio Fest, if breaking the labor day weekend tradition wouldn't be frowned on too much, I hear that Mid-Ohio works pretty closely with car clubs. And, I know they offer parade laps for up to 50 cars for every club. Could be a very interesting dynamic, with the main event being Audi TDIs hopefully kicking ass, and all of that. Also, it reduces some event planning, because the main event would already be planned for us. ;)

Anyway, an Ohio Fest would make me have no more excuses to not go to Fest, too. ;)

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
From my last trip to Ohio to see Glenn (MoGolf) I believe you have a strong group down there, and spread around the state, you just need an organizer to get you all together, I personally would take home some buckeye T-shirts or a hat or two.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
Brian what was the cost to use the Mid Michigan Motorplex do you remember? I think everyone enjoyed that.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think a Fest in conjunction with an ALMS race would be fantastic. However, I don't know how many people would be willing to spend the extra cash to get into the race. Attending a Fest is already expensive, as one has to pay for fuel there and back, and ~$100/night for a hotel room.

Having said that, I'd be all for it! I still haven't seen the R10s in person. :(

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Car club admission to the race would be $90 for the entire weekend, including infield parking (in fact, they would give us a reserved area just for TDIClub members,) paddock pass, and pit pass. I think the only thing that DOESN'T have is camping.

Alternately, it would be below $45 for just the one day that the race is - and you get quite a few races on that day. (I'm including a paddock pass in that, because really, you want one.)

So, you could plan your events around just one day at the track for everyone, with the option of some events at the track...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It would be nice to have infield parking for the day of the ALMS, so that we could do other stuff for the rest of the weekend. I wouldn't want to spend the entire Fest at a race track.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I do not think this would fly.
I personally have no interest is this sort of event and I feel most fest goers would not either.......The fest is about people getting together and enjoying the company

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
tomo366 said:
I do not think this would fly.
I personally have no interest is this sort of event and I feel most fest goers would not either.......The fest is about about people getting together and enjoying the company
I think this is the sort of thing to do at a regular GTG, but not necessarily a Fest.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
I do not remember who had the Red Golf but no one could beat him in the Quarter Mile, was it Oil Burner?

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
Bookworm, the cost was just your entry fee, they were having an open day, and they allowed us to have a section on our own, which really worked out, as we had 12-15 or so that would run down the lane, against each other or by themselves depending, working against the clock, and the lights. It was either 10 or 20$, was a pretty good deal and for that money, some just went out and tried it. I believe we were the entertainment for the real racers there. :)

We had other events there also the show and shine was there, along with displays and wrenching was going on, so we had several events going on the large parking lot, the race down the track was just one
of the events held at the track, so we included all types of what people like to do, in one place.

Last edited:

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Cincinnati would be great. Every year on the day before Labor Day Cinti hosts the largest fireworks display in the country down on the riverfront. Best thing for out of towners is to stay in Kentucky, because you can hit the beltway (I-275) and avoid downtown traffic altogether. I've been going back every year since I moved, and it's well worth the drive for me.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
tca32123 said:
Just my 2 cents, but it would be great to see a Fest a little further South.
I agree I live in Florida. Atlanta would be great or even here in Panama City Beach, FL. We have bike week twice a year, annual triathlon and more.

Has anyone taken a census of where all the TDI folks are? Are we evenly dispersed or is there consentrations?

Sadly I have never been able to attend a fest. Either to far away or conflict with family schedule (weddings and such)… Maybe pick say 3 locations to have fests and rotate between them or something. Or maybe mini-fests and then have big fests at regular locations…

How many have attended in the past?

There is a mention of VWoA never coming? What sponsors or vendors do show?

I like the idea of having it in DC 2009 when they move there but why give them the advertisement when they don’t support us….?