NEW 28F6/T9 Glow plug recall for 04-05 TDI

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
DIY glowplug recall completed

Does anyone know whether a tuner like Malone can flash the appropriate changes for a new set of glow plugs?

I'm considering getting a tune anyway... can I take care of this at the same time, or do the glow plugs needs to be swapped and the ECU flashed by the dealer before any tuning occurs?
After some initial hesitation, I finally took the plunge and installed the new 7V glow plugs, and matching control module. The most difficult part of the job was dislodging the wiper arms to access the relay beneath the windshield lower trim panel.

The parts were sourced from Roselandtech.ca, and the ECU updates were taken care of by Mark Malone at MaloneTuning.

Although we are currently enjoying daytime high temps approaching 30C, there was still a noticeable improvement in startup performance.

I can hardly wait for a frosty morning to test the cold-start performance, but the car has never started this easily/quickly in the 4 years I have owned it, so I am optimistic that there will be a significant improvement.

The Stage 1.5 tune applied by Malone also helps to put a smile on my face!

dadeamann

TDI
2004 GL Sportwagon
ok i bought my 2004 bew jetta wagon. checked for recalls and found the 28f6 recall was still open. i also have somewhat hard starting in fairly warm temps accompanied by lots of smoke and a rough idle for about 30 seconds. other than that it runs great. i also just replaced the cam (it was starting rough before and after the cam). now i took it to the dealer and they did the recall service. changed the 5V GP to the 7V steal sheathed GP and replaced the GP module. after the work was done i saw no difference in starting. i checked the plugs and the new 09 GP were installed but i put a meter on the harness and for the first 3 seconds or so its around 10V then goes down to 5V.

Was the update not done??? should it be right at 7V? i would assume so. ***

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
ok i bought my 2004 bew jetta wagon. checked for recalls and found the 28f6 recall was still open. i also have somewhat hard starting in fairly warm temps accompanied by lots of smoke and a rough idle for about 30 seconds. other than that it runs great. i also just replaced the cam (it was starting rough before and after the cam). now i took it to the dealer and they did the recall service. changed the 5V GP to the 7V steal sheathed GP and replaced the GP module. after the work was done i saw no difference in starting. i checked the plugs and the new 09 GP were installed but i put a meter on the harness and for the first 3 seconds or so its around 10V then goes down to 5V.
rough start like that the first two places I would look are at the unit injectors to see if they are opening too soon & for too long due to wear....

second I would run a compression check to see if one or more of the cylinders are running too low compared to baseline.....

On a car where you are sure now the glow plugs are doing their jobs these are best, really only place to look next to fix rough cold starts....

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Can someone help me out? Is vw still doing this recall/tsb? Contacted the dealership and they said this has expired.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Pretty sure that's true. They stopped selling replacement glow plugs at a discount some time ago, probably close to two years ago. And customers have told us the recall is no longer available.

sean240z

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS
After some initial hesitation, I finally took the plunge and installed the new 7V glow plugs, and matching control module. The most difficult part of the job was dislodging the wiper arms to access the relay beneath the windshield lower trim panel.

The parts were sourced from Roselandtech.ca, and the ECU updates were taken care of by Mark Malone at MaloneTuning.

Although we are currently enjoying daytime high temps approaching 30C, there was still a noticeable improvement in startup performance.

I can hardly wait for a frosty morning to test the cold-start performance, but the car has never started this easily/quickly in the 4 years I have owned it, so I am optimistic that there will be a significant improvement.

The Stage 1.5 tune applied by Malone also helps to put a smile on my face!
HPsenicka, I've had some difficulty starting my Mk4 BEW when cold soaked at temps below -12degC and I am considering installing the N10591609 glow plugs, Glow Plug Relay (038907281D) and Mahone Stage 1.5 tune.
Can you confirm that the above parts were the glow plugs and controller you installed? I was also wondering how you find starting your car with the above mods, when it has cold soaked?

Cheers,
Sean

jqian6

TDI
2005 Volkswagen Jetta TDI (BEW)
what glow plugs do I have and what do I need?

sorry to dredge this thread up.
I have a 2005 Jetta TDI with BEW engine. The glow plugs were replaced around 2009 by TSB 28E6/R8. I don't recall anything related to glow plugs were done after then. So I assume I have 5v metal ones in there now.

Recently I have a CIL, code scanning indicates glow plugs #3 and #4 were burnt. So that got confused now which glow plugs I should have.

I think 5v metal one has part # N10591607. And a later recall (something around 2011 with TSB 28F6/T9) replaced them with 7v ceramic ones covered by metal and part # is N10591609.

I just called dealer parts team. And one gentleman there told me I have two possibilities in my car, either N10591607 or N10591608. He has to pulled one out to see what it is and replace it with the same.

So now my question is:
1). what exactly the part number of glow plugs my car currently has there?
2). what is N10591608?
3). Can I get N10591609 and refresh the ECM to fit 7v?

Thanks.

rkovacs

TDI
Black 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon
You will need the pull the plug out and read the number off it, really the only way to tell. It could be 5V or 7V depending on the programing of the computer. You will need a deep socket 10mm.
The last flash was for the 7V and I don't know if the dealer will do it for free any longer since the recall was so long ago.

Ryan

jqian6

TDI
2005 Volkswagen Jetta TDI (BEW)
You will need the pull the plug out and read the number off it, really the only way to tell. It could be 5V or 7V depending on the programing of the computer. You will need a deep socket 10mm.
The last flash was for the 7V and I don't know if the dealer will do it for free any longer since the recall was so long ago.
Ryan
Thanks for the info.
I did a bit research and figured that is supposed to be N10591607 in my car. But as you said I will have to pull it out to check the number on it before I put an order.
The N10591608 is a one with metal house covering ceramic tip, and intended for BRM engine.
I don't really care if 7v can be placed in. In any case, I will have to bear the cost so it's better to do it myself. I just need to watch lots of videos about how to do it since I still have plenty of time before winter is coming (sounds like Game of Throne :D)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Before you pull any out maybe to an amperage test on each one.
They should all be in the same range.
If they are then it may be the wire harness that's bad.

When I changed my plugs I sprayed with PB Blaster while cold & hot after driving it.
They came out very easily.
I do not remember the exact tightening and loosening torque specs but I did not exceed either.

Maybe someone here has it.