Early Lease Termination Inspection Question

ry8ue

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
From your neighbor up north, once our settlement is in place.. I am planning on an early lease termination for my 2015 Golf TDI. I have placed a deposit on a Golf R.
Originally when I purchased the TDI, I was planning to keep the car so I did not opt for the lease return damages insurance. I was speaking to the sales manager and my rep regarding the current condition of my car, they mentioned that a third-party company called Data Scan is the normal company that evaluates a lease return's condition. Based on their experience, they estimated I would be due anywhere from $0-500 (scratch on front wheel well + scratch swirls on bumper from dogs jumping in the trunk) in addition, I have a small windshield crack that I am going to look into getting filled - otherwise I would be looking at another $400 potentially. All in all, I am thinking worse case $1000. Kind of sucks, given my car is in pristine condition other than these 3 issues.
They mentioned that I can have Data Scan perform a review of the cars damages at any time, however I have read that Rice Point the actual company performing the TDI program in the local VW will be the ones to inspect my return? should the program mimic the US.
I was just wondering how everyone else made out with their Early Lease Termination option with the inspection if they did not have the return damages insurance?
Thanks

alexvtr

TDI
2014 TDI
As far as I know, these details remain to be announced for the Canadian settlement.
All information you'll get are opinions / guesstimates.
I'm in the same boat as you so I know how it sucks to be still in the dark at this point.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>All in all, I am thinking worse case $1000. Kind of sucks, given my car is in pristine condition other than these 3 issues.
<snip>
We leased- twice. And I learned at the end of the second one that there's little option if they decide to get nit-picky on the turned-in car. I "negotiated" with them a bit, but then after they made a $300 "adjustment" it became clear that if I didn't just agree to the other $600 they wanted from me, they would just take a giant steaming dump all over my credit rating. And I checked, and there was nothing I could do about it. So I signed off on it, walked away, and we haven't leased since, nor shall we ever.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
My two Canadian neighbours; I'm in the same boat as you also. However, I did purchase the damage waiver as I wasn't sure if was going to keep the car or not . As far as I know it covers a hefty amount of damage I believe up to $10,000... I haven't heard or read anything about who will be doing the inspections for VW. Last time I called the info line the lady wasn't very helpful , when I asked about early lease termination ... She said" that any information will be made when there's announcement on the settlement ". But like op(Alex) said in Canada we're still awaiting a decision from last Friday's memorandum ... Yes it does suck. This is my first time leasing and will probably be my last. Like Rico567 says there's not much you can do when it comes to turn in time , especially when they got u by the cajones.... Just my $.02