Ontario Goverment's Plan for TDIs

Pablo556

TDI
Golf 2001 Golf 86
I just read that the Ontario government wants to take TDIs off the road if we don't get the Dieselgate recall done.
Nice to see the government is out to screw us.
VW hasn't even outlined what is going to be involved in the recall in North America.
Why not go after the coal rollers also.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Yeah I saw this as well.

What I want to see is a comparison of the environmental impact of a TDI with its emissions (not meeting standards doesn't mean the standards are realistic) compared with the environmental benefit of a) less fuel production required (lower MPG) and b) less refinement required in fuel production (diesel vs gas)

Then they can try to tell me they want to pull my car off the road...

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Yeah I saw this as well.

What I want to see is a comparison of the environmental impact of a TDI with its emissions (not meeting standards doesn't mean the standards are realistic) compared with the environmental benefit of a) less fuel production required (lower MPG) and b) less refinement required in fuel production (diesel vs gas)

Then they can try to tell me they want to pull my car off the road...
this NEEDS a 'like' button. :)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Some of the small 4 cylinder gas engines are pretty close for fuel consumption of a TDI. VW cheated so they need to pay for it and that's the bottom line. The government is right by forcing the owners to get the emission issue resolved. They don't need to prove the owner anything in this case. You should be pissed at VW not the government.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I just read that the Ontario government wants to take TDIs off the road if we don't get the Dieselgate recall done.
Nice to see the government is out to screw us.
VW hasn't even outlined what is going to be involved in the recall in North America.
Why not go after the coal rollers also.
Has no effect on OLDER cars, from 09 and up !

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Some of the small 4 cylinder gas engines are pretty close for fuel consumption of a TDI. VW cheated so they need to pay for it and that's the bottom line. The government is right by forcing the owners to get the emission issue resolved. They don't need to prove the owner anything in this case. You should be pissed at VW not the government.
agreed. but we still ought to pissed at the government, for allowing it to go on for so long (of course our government can and does please ignorant - which they are), and lots of other things besides!
:D

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the government is imposing an impossible standard to meet for diesels, and not giving credit of the other environmental benefits around less crude oil production and less refinement required for a TDI, then damn right I'll be pissed at the government if they will try and force me to apply an update that will reduce my fuel consumption or performance. Especially if I am still polluting less than pick-up trucks and SUVs. So I want proof that I am really the biggest polluter on the road in terms of newer passenger vehicles.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Or even old cars. They let old cars stay on the road that pollute way more. They better not try to keep me off of it!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the government is imposing an impossible standard to meet for diesels, and not giving credit of the other environmental benefits around less crude oil production and less refinement required for a TDI, then damn right I'll be pissed at the government if they will try and force me to apply an update that will reduce my fuel consumption or performance. Especially if I am still polluting less than pick-up trucks and SUVs. So I want proof that I am really the biggest polluter on the road in terms of newer passenger vehicles.
The standards are not impossible, VW choose to get around them by cheating. They could have used existing technologies to pass but they didn't. If you don't like the fact that the government wants to make sure your car adheres to the existing regulations then sign up for the class action lawsuit and get your reimbursement from VW. In this case it's not relevant who poluttes more and how little effect the TDIs have in the global scale.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I have been told this, I am hope it is true but I have a hard time finding a close to equivalent car that meets mileage, space/comfort and price point. What seems to come up most are hybrids and those have a premium associated. I know this because my other car is a hybrid.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oh my, I hope that a Prius is not an option. I could not do that. :-D
not sure, but a "MY other car is a Ducati" sticker on the back of a Prius just lacks some lustre

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
oh my, I hope that a Prius is not an option. I could not do that. :-D
not sure, but a "MY other car is a Ducati" sticker on the back of a Prius just lacks some lustre

I really don't understand the hate for the prius. I see them more and more and the styling of the newer one's isn't bad.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The standards are not impossible, VW choose to get around them by cheating.
Well if it is true what the researcher in the UK found, that Mercedes, Mazda, Ford, and one other manufacturer's diesels also don't meet the standard, then maybe there is something wrong with the standard?

TOPH R

Veteran Member
TDI
Stupid GMC 2500HD non diesel :(
Nothing gas and 4 cylinder is remotely close to a tdi in fuel economy period.

Maybe a little 1.4 litre turd, driven at 100km/h

But NOTHING with 140hp and 240 tq, and certainly not capable of good fuel mileage when driven hard.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Funny, so they want me to park my 2014? I guess my MK3 '99 is still sitting in the driveway, that will be much better for the environment. Who are they trying to punish here?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Here is the article..this would really suck..I was thinking about upgrading from my 05 to an 09 and doing a tune..not anymore. :mad:

http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...ould-be-forced-off-road-without-clean-up.html
The Drive Clean computers are effectively very basic OBDII readers. I highly doubt they will get upgraded to support verification of ECU software versions - that would require manufacturer-specific functionality.

I suppose the government might require VW to provide the VIN numbers of all affected vehicles and to update the database when the emissions recall is completed on each car, but coding that into the MTO systems would not be a trivial undertaking either.

It will be interesting to see how the minister implements his promise to "ensure the province’s emissions standards are met" ;)

Simon

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
35,000 out of 11,000,000 and they will spend tons of money forcing the owners to have the recall whatever it may be performed.

Worst case Vw will engineer ad blue retrofit hack. I suspect an exhaust on a 09 will be quite rusty already and I the fix might take two years to develop and implement.

What a disaster

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well if it is true what the researcher in the UK found, that Mercedes, Mazda, Ford, and one other manufacturer's diesels also don't meet the standard, then maybe there is something wrong with the standard?
Or they all cheated because it was the cheapest solution.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Prius or Moped ... or

I really don't understand the hate for the prius. I see them more and more and the styling of the newer one's isn't bad.
it's Thursday, #nofilterday. I put Prius in with moped and fat girlfriend...but I do agree, the style of the new one isn't bad, but what I said before still stands...:D

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
What seems to come up most are hybrids and those have a premium associated. I know this because my other car is a hybrid.
Well Hybrids suck when it comes to a car fully loaded down with two generous sized people and all their luggage driving through mountains.
A friend had a Toyota hybrid and got rid of it for a Diesel Jetta.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
They look OK and they are practical and economical and reliable. No argument there.

But ... Have you driven one? I have - and hated it.

Video-game steering (pinkie-finger light), video-game instruments, they have a "dead" feel to all of the controls, the suspension is limp and the low-rolling-resistance tires don't have much grip (and the driver has no clue what they are doing due to the dead, overassisted steering). Acceleration is actually OK by the numbers but they feel lifeless and numb.

Toyota have said that the new (2016) Prius is going to have better driving dynamics ... but they hit it with the ugly stick named Mirai.

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Tornado Red Jetta Wagon GLS (sold); 2014 GSW Wolfsburg Edition CPO TDI
They look OK and they are practical and economical and reliable. No argument there.
But ... Have you driven one? I have - and hated it.
Video-game steering (pinkie-finger light), video-game instruments, they have a "dead" feel to all of the controls, the suspension is limp and the low-rolling-resistance tires don't have much grip (and the driver has no clue what they are doing due to the dead, overassisted steering). Acceleration is actually OK by the numbers but they feel lifeless and numb.
Toyota have said that the new (2016) Prius is going to have better driving dynamics ... but they hit it with the ugly stick named Mirai.
Yeah the new Prius coming out is some kind of ugly.

Check out the C-Max. I haven't driven one but they're much more powerful than a Prius and all the reviews I've seen say that they drive quite well. Like a normal car.