mk2 questions

wdkingery

TDI
mk2..?
vnt-15 on a 1985 jetta na diesel

i'm about to attempt to install a vnt-15 on a manifold into a 1.6l diesel na 1985 jetta.
so far i have collected a 1986 gasser fox intake, the vnt/manifold.. and used motor mount because it appears mine will be in the way.

does anyone have anything they could tell me that might be helpful?

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Sorry bud but no, I'am curious as to how it all turns out though, I expect you'll be leading the way on this one though lol, need lots of pics and updates.:)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The VNT 15 is "controlled" by a computer! You have no way of doing that with the 1.6 engine!........sensors galore, communication with a special Injection Pump, etc. It will not work as you might hope/think!

Sorry, but you need to be looking for another way to Turbo Charge the 1.6!

wdkingery

TDI
mk2..?
hahahah

on the old 1985 NA diesel, we have a cold start lever, and my cold start is borked (plus it's going to be 103 tomorrow here in virginia, USA.. cold start?) so i'm going to attach the cold start to the vane adjustment rod and use my "computer" to adjust ;)

well, it will be next week i will have compiled the rest of the parts needed (assumin this guy hooks me up with a downpipe) and i'll get to snappin shots let you know how it goes.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, my prediction is that you will blow that little 1.6 to smithereens!........you'll need a third hand to operate the level......LOL!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
There are a couple good fully-mechanical VNT vane controller designs out there that are being used successfully on MK2s.... a quick glance thru the FAQ section at vwdiesel.net will set you on the right path.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I think you emailed me about motormount clearance issues but neglected to tell me that you were using the VNT on a 1.6L block. The clearancing of the bracket with a 1.9L TDI's VNT-15 isn't that bad and will hold up well to just daily driving habits but with a 1.6L block (10mm shorter) I'd hazard to say that you have no choice but to build or buy a custom steel bracket.

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
Do you know if your motor has oil squirters? Not all the na 1.6s did, that motor may not like boost.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1.6 with VNT 15

There are a couple good fully-mechanical VNT vane controller designs out there that are being used successfully on MK2s.... a quick glance thru the FAQ section at vwdiesel.net will set you on the right path.
Gees! That's good to know! So, I with draw my first comments! I have one Complete 1.6 Turbo engine and a full short block 1.6 Turbo engine! I have plans for these engines....a mechanical VNT 15 would be a good starting place!