I'll bet you'll have fun with this problem, help plz.

Kross

I have a '99 VW Golf Tdi - 90bhp. When I press the button to lower the drivers side window, it tries to wind up, not down. To lower the drivers side window I have to press the passengers window button down (on the drivers switch panel). To raise the drivers window I have to use the passengers switch again, which can do one of two things, the centrel locking locks or the electric mirrors will move.
I took the car to the main dealer and they told me I need a new convenience unit, this didn't fix the problem and they charged me £180 (they are still trying to get that but thats another story). They told me that I needed a new switching panel, wiring loom and window motor. This is all b******t because I have had an automotive electrician do a contunity check and everything is fine.
To me the problems do point to the convienence unit, can I buy one myself and fit it, or does it need to be coded to the vechile by the main dealer? I do have vagcom software if I can do it myself.
Thanks.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
To me, it's one of 2 things: the central convenience unit or the window switch circuit board in the driver's door arm rest. Go to a junk yard and get yourself the window switch unit. If that's not it, then pursue the covenience unit venue.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Just because it's a really wacky electrical problem...

Have you checked for coolant migration? Unplug the coolant sensor, and check for pink in the connector. If there is any, you'll need all of the wiring replaced.

I know one person on here ended up with coolant migration all the way to their TAIL LIGHTS!

Kross

Thanks for the quick answers.
I have tried changing the drivers armrest switch panel several times now, so next step is the convenience unit. Can I change this myself or does it need to be done by a main dealer?
Coolant migration?!?! you serious? I'll think I'll check that one later, sounds likea can of worms.

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta
bhtooefr said:
Just because it's a really wacky electrical problem...

Have you checked for coolant migration? Unplug the coolant sensor, and check for pink in the connector. If there is any, you'll need all of the wiring replaced.

I know one person on here ended up with coolant migration all the way to their TAIL LIGHTS!
:eek:

Ive been having electrical problems lately, I know what Im checking when I get home.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
BTW, ask compu_85 about coolant migration.

He had it to his instrument panel, and it was a very expensive fix that he worked out of the stealer for free under warranty, IIRC.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
This doesn't sound like coolant migration. Never hurts to check for it though. Running a search on coolant migration will get you a lot of info.

What I would do is take your vag-com, connect to the central convienence comptuer, and see what switches it thinks are being pressed. You can view this in the measureing blocks. I wonder if the wires are frayed and shorting where they enter the door?

-J

Kross

compu_85 said:
This doesn't sound like coolant migration. Never hurts to check for it though. Running a search on coolant migration will get you a lot of info.

What I would do is take your vag-com, connect to the central convienence comptuer, and see what switches it thinks are being pressed. You can view this in the measureing blocks. I wonder if the wires are frayed and shorting where they enter the door?

-J
The contunity check that was carried out would have picked up the earthed or frayed wires, although, one other thing that happens is that the headlights dim when the windows don't work as advertised...classic symptom of a bad earth.