SMASHED!!!

grnmtnjj

Veteran Member
TDI
Retired a 2000 Jetta with 241kmi. Now own a 2012 JSW in Toffee Brown.
So, I had to go from about 60 down to 0 in the "fast" lane, driving home the other night. I was able to stop before hitting the car in front of me. As I stopped, looked up, watched some guy plow right into my rear. Luckily, when I stopped, I swerved slightly into the breakdown lane. When the impact happened, I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I ended up avoiding the car a couple of feet in front of me and rolled into the breakdown lane.

Now for the "good" part...the CHP estimated the guy was going about 40-45mph. He was in some sort of 2dr (integra, mx-6??). His front was completely smashed, radiator or a/c leaking, etc. I believe his airbag saved his life. My 2000 Jetta GLS TDI took most of the damage. My seat was pushed all the way back, and the back was thrown all the way down. My front winshield was cracked on the passenger side. My sunroof, which was open in the vent position, would not close because it was about 2" back of where it should have been.

So it look like the car took most of the damage, and did what it was supposed to do: absorb the impact.

My question, then, is what all do I need to look out for (or have the adjuster/bodyshop check out)? (This is the second time I've been rear-ended in this car. The first time, was lower speed (10-15mph), approx $1600 damage.) Obviously all of the visible damage, including the seat, moonroof, windshield. I'm really worried about the frame. Should I have the fuel tank and the engine checked out, too, since everything else moved on impact?

Thanks for the help.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Look for purchasing a new ride. They'll probably total it.

grnmtnjj

Veteran Member
TDI
They are bringing it to a shop this morning to look at the frame. I've been quite pushy that they do so. I'm just worried that they won't want to total it. So far, on the exterior, not including the roof and windshield, they are talking about only $3-4K damage. The car is probably worth $13-14K.

Smithers

Veteran Member
Originally posted by grnmtnjj:
They are bringing it to a shop this morning to look at the frame. I've been quite pushy that they do so. I'm just worried that they won't want to total it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Who are "they"? The other driver's insurance company?

Get your own company to go do an estimate on the car, or get a body shop you trust to go look at it. $3-$4,000 doesn't sound even remotely close based on your description. Have any pics?

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Are you saying your seat failed to stay upright? That sounds like that could be dangerous for both driver and passanger sitting behind driver. I thought that was a big no no in seat design.

VR6nTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now. Former: 00 Jetta, 01 NB
If the insurance company ends up paying out less by selling the car as a wreck, you will be shopping for a new TDI.

From your description, I think the car is totalled. If your insurance doesn't total it...I would either sell it right after its been repaired or ask for a cash settlement and sell it yourself. I would not trust riding in that car.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
If you got hit by someone going that fast, your car is junk. Don't let anyone tell you they can "fix" it.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You haven't described the visible damage to the rear so I can only guess that the bumper, rear lights, deck lid, and bumper supports need to be replaced at a minimum. Trunk floor may need to be straightened out or part of it replaced. Fuel tank may be OK if no leaks found. Need to verify the entire tank and filler, not just rear. Drivers seat and seat belt needs to be replaced - not repaired. Description of the sunroof suggests body bending in the middle. (How well do the doors operate?) Although they may be able to straighten it, it is weakened. Motor and transmission mounts should be replaced, even if they look good. You've also got to look for damage to fuel lines, and anything else under the hood if the engine possibly moved.

Plus add paint and labor. Easily at $9K if all this is true, though I'm only guessing at costs. I don't know what your insurance company's "total" limit for percentage of value of the car.

I'm also happy that you weren't totaled.

grnmtnjj

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the info. I will post what I learn from the adjusters. Right now, it's State Farm's (my insurance) adjuster doing the work.

I guess I didn't think of that one about the seat. I was thinking that it absorbed a lot of MY impact. Thank god there was no-one sitting behind me, or they would have no legs.

VR6nTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Brioscooter:

Sometimes a car that suffered minor damage (not in this case) in an accident will be written off. Its because writing if off can sometimes mean less payout.

Here goes:

Lets say the VW is worth $13000.
Repairs are estimated to be $8000.
Wrecker is willing to pay $6000 for the car.

If the insurance pays the insured $13000, sells the car to the wrecker for $6000, the company's total loss is $7000...cheaper than the repair bill of $8000... its not quite that simple...but that's the basics.

Brioscooter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 and 2005 Golf TDIs
A good point, VR62TDI. I did not take into account the high resale value of totalled cars these days. And a late model VW with an intact front end is worth a fortune as parts!
Hmmm. I wouldn't mind having a few of those parts meself....

VR6nTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
If a wrecker has an equal model car that's been in a front end accident, he may buy this wreck and saw the cars in half...weld the two good halfs and sell it (with a salvage title) to (sometimes an unsuspecting) buyer.

These are potentially very dangerous cars to be riding in!!!!

keypecker

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW traded off 2005 Passat sedan 2.0 TDI
Not to mention.. we have an inflated view as to the worth of our cars,... Edmunds, NADA and KB have a very different view of their worth. try finding a jetta wagon for what edmunds say they are worth. What does your insurance company use as a guide for the value of the vehicle?? you may be driving a new passat TDI sooner than you think... can you say PRE-Order??

keypecker

Mileage Dude

Veteran Member
Most computerized frame straightening machines can pull and bend your TDi into correct measurements. What you don't know is... you'll have a car straight but shocks that are blown, paint that will not match front to back, flat spots on the 4 tires from locking it up, rattles heard interiorly, possible motor mount, tranny mount, window seals and ...a sun roog that will always leak.

The plus side is you'll get a doggie bag of nuts and bolts from the automotive body expert. These nuts and bolts are what he forgot to reinstall after taking apart your total interior pieces.

He too, the automotive repair shop is on a budget and ... not a lot of time to make it right.

*cough*

Your car is totalled no "and-if or butts".

MD

Brioscooter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 and 2005 Golf TDIs
Insurance is a business. Businesses succeed only when they are profitable. Part of staying profiable is keeping costs down. A good way to keep costs down is to fix instead of total cars that are worth much more than the cost of repair would be.
Your future safety and happiness do not count for much when it comes to the bottom line. If they spend $5K to make your car shiny and semi-striaght again, they haven't spent $13K to total it.
Of course, your car may leave 4 tire tracks after you drive through a puddle, which means you are coming back to the other guy's insurance company and you will be mad. More repairs, which cost more.
Did they dump thousands into repairs only to learn that the car should have been totalled? Or did they total a car that wasn't tweaked badly at all? Oops!
This is why good insurance adjusters make good salaries. Those guys can make or break an insurance company.
State Farm is a good company to have on your side. They will go to bat for you if you are getting boned by the other guys. Not only because they seem to be decent sorts, but they don't want to insure a potentially unsafe or badly repaired car afterward.
Your car should be scrapped, from the sound of it. A 40 mph impact is serious. The VW did it's job protecting you AND the other guy by absorbing tons of kinetic energy from the hit. It did a good job of protecting you from injury in the previous accident, correct?
Do the right thing and let the poor VW retire to a salvage yard.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
It might be worth your while to do some online searches for 'best practices' regarding what YOU can do to assure that you get a fair settlement, which in this case should be that this car be classified as a TOTAL LOSS!

Take pictures. Document, document, document.

My $.02, Beetlego

P.S. Thank goodness these cars are so safe. Sounds like you came out okay, but if that seat failed, you better document that too in case your back starts acting up 9 months from now....

[ January 23, 2003, 12:48: Message edited by: BeetleGo ]

Karmann-diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
I would also suggest creating a "Call Log". Document who you talked to, when & what was discussed. I deal with insurance-related issues for work on a fairly regular basis & find this to be very helpful. Many times these people will ignore you or just put your claim into a holding pattern for a while. Track when you talked to them last & keep the heat turned up on them!