2010 JSW TDI "Key not in range" problem

jyzhang

TDI
2010 Sportswagon
Last Saturday morning, I got "Key not in range, no key" error and the engine shut itself off right after the ignition started. I tried 3 or 4 times, eventually it gave me an Engine error and won't crank at all.

Strange thing is, I returned to the car in about an hour and it started perfectly fine with no issues. I thought it might be just one of those rare software glitches.

This morning, it started fine again, drove to work. But when I tried to start the car again shortly after I arrived, it gave me the "Key not in range" error again.

Is it simply because the key fob is out of battery, or a software glitch? The key FOB still has its original battery, so I am guessing it could be the battery. But the key fob opens the door perfectly fine. Or could it be simply one of those rare case software glitches? As I was able to start the car with the same key an hour later. Hope I can be lucky again after work today.

I read other threads that had "key not in range" issues and none of them seemed to be conclusive. It seemed the dealer / VW were puzzled with the issues as well.

Any good insight here? The only things that happened to it recently was the TDI emission mod. I am sure there is a software update along with it as well.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jyzhang

TDI
2010 Sportswagon
As an update to the group, I took my 2010 JSW to my mechanics friend yesterday. He scanned the computer and only find a few intermittent error code with engine, transmission and radio.

His recommendation is, it is most likely is due to RFID chips in the key that I use everyday since I bought the vehicle. It is a passive device and don't need any battery. The battery is only for the remote.

I now have all my three keys with me all the time. If next time, the symptom comes up again, I will try different keys to see if it is due to the key, the reader, or software glitch.

kjclow in another thread also posted the following procedure to get through the issue,
turn the key two clicks and wait.
key in=off
1 click=accessories
2 clicks=on - all power
3 clicks=engage starter

Then turn it the third click to start
Thanks again for everyone for sharing the VW TDI information here.