Key gets stuck in ignition...anyone else?

cshecks

TDI
2011 Graphite Blue TDI
So, I seem to have a 1975 jalopy stuck inside of my 2011 TDI. For some strange reason, unpredictably, my god damn (GD) key will get stuck in my ignition. The car will be off, in park, w/ our w/out ebrake on and the GD key will not F'ing come out of the ignition. Sometimes this happens 3x in a day and other times it will be 2 months in between events. Anyway, it pisses me off to no end and am having it looked at in a week. It's been happening since I got the car. I kind of just hoped it would get better, thought it might be because of the 'newness' of the VW........boy was I wrong. Went to go get coffee last thursday and the F'ing key would not come out of the ignition after 20 minutes of wiggling the steering wheel, restarting the car, moving forward, back, back, forward, not a GD thing seemed to work. Anyway, anyone else experience this VW loveliness?

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos
'12 JSW TDi Nav, Pano AND KESSY. Get dressed in the am and put my "key" in my pocket and it stays there til I come back home. Works like a charm. At first it was different/unusual. Now it feels like the way things should be. Kind of confusing when I get in the wife's car and have to use a "real" key.:D

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
Dealer needs to replace the key or the steering column interlock.

Most likely the interlock, seen it before.

If it happens again the best thing to do is move it back into netural and see if it comes out, you should still be able to depress the brake and put it into park after the key is out.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
If your steering wheel is all the way in either direction the key won't turn until you force the steering wheel just a bit more in that same direction and turn key at same time. I don't know if that same "all the way" positioning of the steering wheel makes the key hard to take out. But, you might try it.

w0by

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/premium sound
2013 Jetta TDI

My key got stuck in my car a few times, I took it to VW and they replaced something...now a year later it's starting to feel funny again when I turn the key. Thank goodness it's under warranty still, I hope this doesn't happen yearly. Funny thing is when I took it to the dealer the tech was like "wow, I can't get the key out" lmao.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
We see a lot of Jettas with that problem. 99% it is easy to get back out with a little trick - turn key towards start, in one quick motion turn back passed "run" to the off position. No amount of jiggling in the run position seems to get the key unstuck. It appears to be the plastic tab breaks inside the lock cylinder.

Jason