Clutch questions

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles
My car is being taken in on Wends to have the back and forth shifter cable replaced and I am wondering if I should have the clutch/flywheel replaced as well. The car is a Jetta with 125,000 miles on it. If lets say I don't have the clutch changed and the clutch fails x months from now, can I easily change this myself?

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
A3s are not that bad to swap...if you have access to a lift. I'd hold off on it until it starts slipping. My Passat's only needed to be changed @ 155,000 with a chip, nozzles & exhaust work on the car. And a heavy right foot. My sister's B4 has about 225k and the original clutch. I'd leave well-enough alone.

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles
I decided to just leave it alone and see what happens. If nothing else when I get my TB changed I will see about changing the clutch to a VR6 one. Unless I change my nozzels to some bigger ones and get a chip...then I would change the clutch at that time. Thanks for the info...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Jon, you could have many good miles left in the clutch. Worry about it when it becomes a problem. I haven't really heard of folks changing clutches as part of a routine maintenance procedure ;)