Questions about buying New 05 Jetta TDI |Calgary|

Silverfire

TDI
06 TDI jetta,06 Touareg,90 jetta
Hi
I just found these forums and there awsome
I am in the market for a new jetta and want some advise on how i can get the best deal out of the dealerships.
I Live in Calgary but I dont need to buy from the city if theres better deals elsewhere.
I want a 05 Jetta TDI fully loaded with leather and alloys
Listed price is $30,800 in Calgary
Does anyone know how much room to move VW has on there models? Should i wait a little longer (July) till the 06 TDI's start arriving to see if the 05's will be cheaper? Is it better to lease these days or buy? I dont plan on keeping the car for more then 100,000km
I currently drive a 2000 jetta 1.8t and have owned 2 jetta's and 3 golf's so far and have loved them all.
Thx for any input

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Just out of curiousity, why aren't you planning on keeping the car past 100,000km? If you're into the car for a short-term, you may be better off leasing, that way you're not paying for the whole car and losing the depreciation, rather you'd be paying for the "part" of the car you're going to use. When I was shopping around for my car, I did my legwork at the local dealership, taking test-drives, comparing option packages, etc. Once I knew what I wanted, I e-mailed 5 different dealerships within a few hour's drive nd told them the car/color/options I wanted and asked them to e-mail me back their bottom-line, pre-tax price and each of the 5 quotes was less than the local dealership, the best (and the one I bought from!) was $3200 less! When the local dealership heard about this, they offered to match the price but I just laughed at them and told them they need to get with the time and realize that they're not the only game around! Funny thing is I take my car to the local dealership for all the servicing and buy most of my parts through them too!

Good luck.

Lorne M

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI Wagon, Stonehenge Grey
Howdy Silverfire;

Being your close neighbour, I can appreciate the frustration you feeI. I went through the process of buying a new Passat TDI S/W less than 2 months ago and concluded that ALL the dealers in Calgary and most of the rest of the dealers in Alberta, BC, and Sask were just too darned well fed. Business is just too good for them. Most laughed at the idea of any discount from MSRP and a few actually "offered" higher than MSRP.... with a straight face, no less.

In spite of being guided by a couple of friends "in the business" and even using the services of a "broker" I finally made my own deal for a (better) acceptable price. I even considered buying south of 49 and importing but the hassle factor negated the small savings I could have realized. My new vehicle will be available approx. April 20.

If you PM me I would be happy to discuss my detailed experiences and provide you with suggestions which I am sure, WILL short -cut the process and get you a better price.

Silverfire

TDI
Just out of curiousity, why aren't you planning on keeping the car past 100,000km?
Well I am the type of person that always needs new things after a few years so i know that i will want to trade up in a few yrs down the road. Currently i have had my 2000 jetta for 2 yrs and its time for somthing new

Thx for the suggestions

Stampfan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Beetle GLS TDI
The lease/buy decision has more to do with 1) how long you wish to keep the car, 2) the number of KM you'll put on the car, 3) finance and incentive rates for both, 4) what's acceptable for you, how much you're willing to put down, etc.

Certainly bargain with the 3 dealerships in town as they are close and available and see where you get. I'd be surprised if an out-of-town dealership would be that much cheaper than one of the three locally to make it worth the trouble. Probably your fourth dealership you'd be looking at would be Red Deer as they're only an hour north.

Another consideration will be the styling - the new Jettas have changed and the new model won't have the TDI for a few months. So now your decision is: do you want an old model TDI or a new one?

Lotsa decisions to make. Let us know how you do.

codepoet

TDI
Golf GL 2002 - Black
My father bought a new Golf TDI just last November. I got the 'dealer price' from: Car Cost Canada

Using that, I told my dad to just offer $1000 below MSRP, he walked in, wrote a cheque for $1300 below MSRP, told the guy to take it or leave it. They hummed and hawed then finally took the offer. I think it was only about 500-700 above dealer price according to carcostcanada, and hearing all the stories, I didn't think they'd take the offer, but they did. He bought at the South Centre Fine Cars location.

Richard.

Silverfire

TDI
Re: Questions about buying New 05 Jetta TDI |Calga

Ok so many diferent decisions!

Big Thx to Lorne M all your info for me was very helpful

I think i am going to try the car cost canada thing and see how that works out. With car cost canada do they give you a ammount that you should be able to get the car for or do they only give the dealship cost? If they only give the dealership cost what is a reasonable ammount to throw at them over that cost?
Or might be trying a broker also to see what they could find for me.
Thx

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

Here's yet another option. If you're going to finance the car in some way (lease or buy) look for the best interest rate (ask the dealer for the lease rate on the lease, they have to tell you by law in Canada, I think) and compare it to the rate you'll get on a loan. Manufacturers often offer incentives to move cars at the end of the model year and sometimes the lease rate is better than the loan rate. If so, simply make sure you know the end of term buyout and plan to purchase the car at the end of the lease term. I've done this twice and it's worked out well. Little or no money down, lower payments, and a cherry used car that you know the exact history of at the end of the lease.

Silverfire

TDI

VW lease and finance rates are both at 4.9% right now. My line of credit is at 6.8% right now and personal loan that i have the 2000 jetta on is at 6% so i would more then likely use the VW finacing.
If there lease and buy rates are the same would it not be better to lease now(pay less monthly) since i probably wont be keeping the car for a long time but if i decide to keep it and buy it out it would be a decent price.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

No reason not to. With a lease you're financing the depreciation. Add up the total of lease payments plus buyout and compare that to the total of loan payments plus down payment and see where you come out. There's also a time value of money calculation you could do here but that's more complex than I can handle.

My .02 is make the payments manageable now and save for the buyout.

Silverfire

TDI

Ya the payments for a lease would be 100$ less and that will help us out since were also buying a new house so were gona have the damn mortgage payments to worry about also.
For leases how many yrs will they make you sign for and are they breakable?

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg

As far as I know, you should be able to lease from 1 - 5 years. If you decide to get out of the lease, you'll need to see what penalties there are. You may be able to sell the car yourself and buy the lease out, or surrender the car after a certain period of time. VW will let you know the details. As for the mortgage, from what I understand, you're better off leasing a vehicle than financing a purchase of a vehicle when it comes to getting approved for a mortgage. Something to do with the fact that it's considered an expense, but not an asset. Not quite sure of the exact details, but again, I'm sure your bank will tell you. Good luck.

PS. When it comes time for you to buy your car, make sure that you go in near the end of the month as every dealership gets rated by their financial activity for the month, as well as year end. They'll tell you otherwise, but it's true. The more the dealership makes, the higher priority they get for things like inventory allotment and new-vehicle selection. And don't be afraid to get up and walk away if you feel you're being jerked around. Just say "You're wasting your time and mine. Call me when you're ready to be reasonable" and then leave. They'll call back, guaranteed! And then you're in control of the negotiations again.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora

Leases these days are usually in the 3-4 year range. As Ed stated, if you want to get out of the lease, you will either need to find someone to take it over, or you will have to break it which means a penalty.

How much room do the dealers have to negotiate? Depends on the dealer. Just so you know, almost 50% of VW sales for Golfs and Jettas were TDIs last year. They are trying to get rid of the gas models, but the TDIs they hold on to. I don't know what the situation is like in Calgary, but in Toronto, the 06's are already on display at the dealers.

Stampfan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Beetle GLS TDI

Biggest thing with the lease is to figure out how many KM you put on in a year. If the lease allows 15,000KM, and you put on 30,000KM, you might as well just take a limo or taxi instead because you're paying for each additional KM, often 40 cents or more. If you're high mileage, you would almost certainly be better off buying.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Is it better to lease these days or buy? I dont plan on keeping the car for more then 100,000km
I currently drive a 2000 jetta 1.8t and have owned 2 jetta's and 3 golf's so far and have loved them all.
The TDIs are perfect for people who drive a lot of miles. Leases are not good for people who drive a lot of miles. Buy a TDI -- or lease something else.

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
Check Vanee Motors in Lethbridge. I phoned province wide when buying my 03 Golf TDI and Vanee was $1000 cheaper than anywhere else in the province. I think that this dealer is not as well fed as Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer dealers. The dealers at Southcenter and Northland in Calgary as well as Southgate and Norden in Edmonton all told me that it was impossible that they were giving me that price. On my drive back home with my new car I took the time to visit those dealers and show them that the deal was not impossible. I also mentioned to prospective customers in the aformentioned dealerships that they should check Vanee as they are cheaper. Good luck.

Silverfire

TDI

Ok i am going to check Lethbridge out and see what they have for pricing.
What would people think about getting a 2004 with lower km's instead of buying brand new? Trouble is that there isnt very many used TDI's out there.
Does Medicine Hat have a VW dealership? Im driving through there today so would stop and check if they have one.
thx

Stampfan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Beetle GLS TDI

Medicine Hat also has a branch of Vanee Motors I believe.

Puebla

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 TDI GT25, PP520'S, FMIC, STAGE 5 SOFTWARE
Why would you buy an 05, if you can buy a 04 with the 90hp engine?

The 04's with the 90 hp option have had all the bugs worked out of them, and plus if you plan on doing any modifications, non-PD parts cost less. You can get 04 VW A4 GLS $1000 below invoice. Why pay more for less?

Silverfire

TDI

Stopped in at the Medicine Hat VW dealership and took me 5 mins to get pissed off at there manager and walked out....Damn i hate sales people.
Found a used 2004 Jetta GLS TDI with 27000km asking $28500 that is nice but just wondering what the price is I should pay for a used 2004? Looked up the black book value and the 2004 jetta tdi gls is $19509-$21288 so thats what they would be getting for a trade in value corect? + taxes off?
So many differnt decicions but the more and more i see the gas prices going up makes me want to get me a TDI fast.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon

A little correction to Hazw8st... the "old" engines were stopped at the end of the 2003 model year... the 2004's have the PD (Pumpe Düse = Fuel Injector Pump) engines... new animal...

Black book... Blue book... Red book... I get confused...

What's this you talk about taxes ?? I thought they don't believe in those in Alberta ???

Keep on looking... but keep in mind that if you join the TDI world, you'll probably be picking up a hobby as well... taking care of the vehicle is the only way to keep from wanting to kill somebody at the dealerships... Oh, I see you already got P.O. at someone there... a whole 5 minutes it took you?? Actually, my salesman was a DOLL !! It's just the folks up the food chain at the dealership that almost drove me to violence...

Good luck !!!!

Yuri. (feeling unusually curmudgeonly tonight... maybe because my computer just froze about 4 times...)

Silverfire

TDI

Ya i forgot about the no taxes thing in Alberta since i came from Sask i was used to paying it on any used car.

So I am still trying to find a 2004 TDI jetta around Calgary area but there just isnt very many of them since everyone wants to keeps theres

Silverfire

TDI

nope bought one last thursday but thanks anyways

verbalnoncents

Veteran Member
TDI
Sport Edition 2004

Hey Silverfire.. check your msg box because I sent you a msg... I might have a TDI for you