www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old Yesterday, 00:43   #2086
hey_allen
Veteran Member

Finished up my timing belt installation that was started over the weekend.
While doing so, I found that the new-to-me 11mm IP from my parts car had a bad pressure regulator/check valve under the output banjo fitting, after chasing around a pump that would NOT prime for a couple of hours. Easily fixed once I learned that the banjo fitting wasn't a simple bolt and replaced with the one from my 10mm pump.

A little timing adjustment to bring it into the middle of the range, and just a tiny bit advanced, followed by a bit of IQ adaptation to bring the values up from 0.0 (!?!) to 1.8-2.0, and it idles nicely.

I can't say just how much the resources here on the forum among other places have helped with this, as a first time timing job on my part.
hey_allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21   #2087
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_allen View Post
Finished up my timing belt installation that was started over the weekend.
While doing so, I found that the new-to-me 11mm IP from my parts car had a bad pressure regulator/check valve under the output banjo fitting, after chasing around a pump that would NOT prime for a couple of hours. Easily fixed once I learned that the banjo fitting wasn't a simple bolt and replaced with the one from my 10mm pump.

A little timing adjustment to bring it into the middle of the range, and just a tiny bit advanced, followed by a bit of IQ adaptation to bring the values up from 0.0 (!?!) to 1.8-2.0, and it idles nicely.

I can't say just how much the resources here on the forum among other places have helped with this, as a first time timing job on my part.
Nice work!

Likely find that you'll want to bump that IQ up a bit. Larger pump means more fuel, and that IQ Is on the low end.

Oh yeah, I removed my rear console to get my big project (replacing rear console with newer style with cup holders; custom dash cup-holder turned into a phone docking station (USB connection); heated seat install; new HU with new front speakers and a rear camera install).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:55   #2088
hey_allen
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Nice work!

Likely find that you'll want to bump that IQ up a bit. Larger pump means more fuel, and that IQ Is on the low end.
I'll have to take a look at the IQ, as I just bumped it up enough that it stabilized the idle.
I noticed today that when cruising on I-5, and on the surface roads approaching it, that I did have a couple of stumbles, may have been related to the IQ adjustment.
Old Yesterday, 12:06   #2089
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
I'll have to take a look at the IQ, as I just bumped it up enough that it stabilized the idle.
I noticed today that when cruising on I-5, and on the surface roads approaching it, that I did have a couple of stumbles, may have been related to the IQ adjustment.
Very unlikely
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:08   #2090
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Stumbles related to low IQ are generally present when dropping off the accelerator. Stumbles during acceleration are likely a bit more complex and cause for concern.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:58   #2091
hey_allen
Veteran Member

Quote:
Stumbles related to low IQ are generally present when dropping off the accelerator. Stumbles during acceleration are likely a bit more complex and cause for concern.
This was a steady cruise, or possibly light deceleration.

That said, I haven't done any datalogging yet, so I have information to base any diagnosis on.

The current setting of 1.8-2.0 IQ was just where it stopped stumbling at idle. As it was just past 10:30 PM, I decided that was enough for the night, and put off installing the larger injectors and the Malone tune for another day.
I'm just glad that the car is back together and driving, rather than having to ride my motorcycle to work in the rain today. 15 miles each way to an appointment yesterday was bad enough, but 35 one way, in morning rush hour didn't sound like fun to me.
Old Yesterday, 18:18   #2092
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Replaced some more old vacuum lines, and removed the N18 valve completely.
Starting to look clean under the hood!
2001 Jetta TDI. Converted to manual, converted to black leather interior with red stiching, PP520s, rc3, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, G60/VR6 clutch, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Sport cluster, Seat Leon Cupra poly bushings, Koni Reds + stock springs, Kenwood head unit w/bluetooth, Longbeach wheels, Euro wooden three-spoke steering wheel.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:35   #2093
underwhelmd
Veteran Member

Not today but recently. Removed this amount of dirt from one inner fender, passenger side, 01 jetta. (utility knife for scale)
Old Yesterday, 22:06   #2094
hey_allen
Veteran Member

I forgot one of the repairs that I took care of while doing the timing belt this weekend.

Since I already had to disconnect the vacuum booster hose, I took the opportunity to inspect the whole hose, and found cracks at both ends of the had plastic tube, where it is pressed over the barbed during and the check valve.

Instead of just putting the broken hose back in and ordering an assembly, or paying an arm and a leg at a local dealer, I repaired the one I had.

I found that 3/8" ID air brakes line makes a good replacement vacuum booster hose, once you hear the ends and push it onto the barbed fittings.

I used one of the engine mount bolts I had left over from the timing belt job to flare the first 3/4"-1" of the tubing before pushing it onto the fittings, and then carefully heated the middle of the length to put a bend in it, so that it would fit in the original location.

All told, it cost me about $5 in hose.

Last edited by hey_allen; Today at 10:06.
Old Today, 10:55   #2095
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Replaced my straight buzzken mid-pipe with a resonator from same. Without the resonator it had a not-very-nice sounding and fairly loud sound. With it, it creates actually a nice buzz to the exhaust and is a little quieter at cruise. I actually like the sound of the exhaust now quite a bit. I'd recommend this option for anyone considering it: 2.5", downpipe, no cat, resonator then muffler.

Also, rechecked the injector fuel lines and hold down clamps, and finally got that little metal clip back onto the connector for the 3rd injector.
2001 Jetta TDI. Converted to manual, converted to black leather interior with red stiching, PP520s, rc3, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, G60/VR6 clutch, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Sport cluster, Seat Leon Cupra poly bushings, Koni Reds + stock springs, Kenwood head unit w/bluetooth, Longbeach wheels, Euro wooden three-spoke steering wheel.

Last edited by Judson; Today at 14:54.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:26   #2096
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
... custom dash cup-holder turned into a phone docking station (USB connection).
Explanation and pictures on this, please, if you have them. I'm always looking for a better way to dock my phone.
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote