www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old October 10th, 2017, 08:55   #586
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woza View Post
Hey All how many of you have been told by VW USA that you have to take the buy back. I was told that yesterday by a clerk at VW USA resolutions.

My 2009 TDI CR DSG has been at the dealer for 6 weeks due to when they did the CPU flash the mechanic got an ERROR. VW USA told the dealer to park the Jetta in their yard. I stirred the pot with Doug the VW USA rep to get things moving. That is when Laura from VW USA called me yesterday and told me that there is no fix for the 2009 and I have no option but to take the buy back.

MEH to me this is VW USA BULLEYING me into the buy back when I asked for the fix. The Jetta has 120k on the clock and has been serviced buy the dealers in my area.

Anybody else on the forum being held hostage by the ****** coporate VW USA. The dealer has to toe the line and they gave me a loaner.
There is a thread dedicated to this issue here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481237

I have copied your post into that thread. Please continue discussion of this specific topic in that thread.

Thanks!

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; October 10th, 2017 at 09:34.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 07:05   #587
Petra's cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra's cousin View Post
They're finally rolling out the Gen 1 fixes up in Canada, I booked my car in last Monday for the fix. 2011 Golf Wagon (same as the JSW), ~135 000 km right now and I've owned it for a little over a year. My experience has been ~40 imperial MPG in the summer, 35 in the winter (summer works out to about 7.2-7.4 l/100km or 32 MPG using the smaller US gallon size) for my mixed city driving and my only long trip at lower speeds last summer was around 50 imperial MPG (or just cracking under 5.0 l/100km or 47 mpg) prior to the fix.

Observations so far:

1) took the tech under 4 hours to do the work (dropped before 10am, called before 2 pm)
2) no real mileage observations yet, I think the trip computer showed ~7.4 l/100km in the few hundred km after the fix, I'll get long highway data this weekend to compare to the 5.0 l/100km from last year
3) seems to be lots of off or light throttle shuddering (random in traffic, but I think I've also noticed it on the short highway stints I do in town, but all clustered around 2000 RPM) that wasn't there before except randomly as the car warmed up and sometimes when the DPF was regenerating

In Canada, if you bought your car after the September announcement from VW that they were cheating, your only option is the fix and half the restitution amount. My cheque showed up today (1 week) after the repair was completed.

John
Highway data from last weekend - heading west (the downhill way) I had an indicated 5.7 l/100km (5.0 l/100km on the actual trip plus 200km of city driving), hand calc'd the actual to be 6.2 l/100km. On the way back/east, indicated 5.2 l/100km, hand calc'd actual to be 5.5 l/100km (all highway driving). Since I bought the car in the summer of 2016, its been within 1 l/100km or dead on. I'll watch it a few more tanks in the city then will probably adjust the factor for the fuel computer.

John
Petra's cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 09:32   #588
ksing44
Veteran Member

Quote:
...Observations so far:
3) seems to be lots of off or light throttle shuddering (random in traffic, but I think I've also noticed it on the short highway stints I do in town, but all clustered around 2000 RPM) that wasn't there before except randomly as the car warmed up and sometimes when the DPF was regenerating...
I think the more frequent shuddering might be from more frequent NOx regenerating cycles or other types of fuel injection events controlled by the ECU. I seem to have much more frequent short bursts of higher EGT after the fix. When those EGT bursts occur, there are also typically some subtle but noticeable changes in power delivery.
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP!

Flickr slideshow

Last edited by ksing44; October 11th, 2017 at 09:39.
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:46   #589
Petra's cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing44 View Post
I think the more frequent shuddering might be from more frequent NOx regenerating cycles or other types of fuel injection events controlled by the ECU. I seem to have much more frequent short bursts of higher EGT after the fix. When those EGT bursts occur, there are also typically some subtle but noticeable changes in power delivery.
I was thinking something similar - just picked up a cable from Rosstech, so I'm going to try to figure out what to log to see if I can pick up which output is spiking (or alternatively, which device is overshooting its control input). My other thought was to pull the exhaust flap to see if its plugged up again (it was replaced last September, not sure if they replaced it again during the fix), if it is it could be causing control issues.

John
Petra's cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:14   #590
ksing44
Veteran Member

Quote:
I was thinking something similar - just picked up a cable from Rosstech, so I'm going to try to figure out what to log to see if I can pick up which output is spiking (or alternatively, which device is overshooting its control input). My other thought was to pull the exhaust flap to see if its plugged up again (it was replaced last September, not sure if they replaced it again during the fix), if it is it could be causing control issues.
John
It would great if you figure out what's happening! It is what it is, but it would be nice to know.

I'm sure I remember that the exhaust flap was supposed to be replaced with the fix. I had just been getting mine lubricated, but I think it's the new version now.
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP!

Flickr slideshow
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:53   #591
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I thought the exhaust flap was a separate recall but I could be confused.
Old October 12th, 2017, 09:07   #592
ksing44
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
I thought the exhaust flap was a separate recall but I could be confused.
I think it was a warranty extension, not a recall, but the warranty was only until 120K miles. After that you were on your own, except I think it was being upgraded with the fix if you didn't already have the new version.

Flickr slideshow
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:46   #593
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

It from both regen of DPF or Nox. If you had polar FIS you would know which one it is.
MonsterTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote