www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old August 12th, 2017, 19:45   #1
wooba001

TDI(s): 2002 Beetle
Default Starter Motor won't stop, bendix not engaged key removed

Hello All
I didn't see a New beetle section, I may just be blind.

Vehicle: 2002 New Beetle, 1.9L TDI (engine ALH)

I went to start my car and the starter motor ran without engaging the pinion to the fly wheel. I tried turning the key off and the starter continued running. I cycled it on and off a few times, no change then I disconnected the battery terminal. I reconnected the battery and the starter ran again, key out of ignition. I took my wife's car to work instead.

When I came back I removed the battery, sprayed an electronic cleaner on the fuses (weren't really dirty to begin with) and checked through the wiring from battery to starter and ground and couldn't find anything wrong. I put the battery back in and all worked normally.

So the car is presently starting and running. But I didn't really do anything to fix it.

I've glanced through my Bentley manual and couldn't find any reference to a starter relay.

Do you know if this problem could be just the starter motor going on the fritz or if it could be an electrical problem in the car?

Any advice from someone who has dealt with this or thinks they may know what is up would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Wooba001
wooba001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 20:05   #2
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

I had this exact same thing happen to me. I had to replace my starter back in June after an engine mishap. I had it all back together and rather than wait a couple of days for a new Bosch I went to my local auto parts store and purchased a reman. It lasted just about 30 days, and did what you describe. I warrantied it through the parts store and I'm coming up on two months on this starter and so far so good.

So yup your starter is heading out on permanent vacation.
Tdijarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 22:46   #3
wooba001

TDI(s): 2002 Beetle
Default Thank you

I will be be replacing the starter motor to head off that problem.

Wooba
wooba001 is offline   Reply With Quote