Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Saw tonight that gas was up to 3.05, diesel was at 2.99. About time we paid less than gassers. The only thing that makes it sweeter was getting 49.3 today in suburban, non highway errand running.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Yeah but that's just because of the pipeline problem. Once that goes away I guess the trend will be back to normal.

I guess I'm too far away (540 miles) to see any effects of the pipeline. Diesel was actually down today, with petrol holding steady.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
from the Associated Press:
"One of our guys said it looked like the Beverly Hillbillies in the opening scene when the crude is bubbling up from the ground," Romeoville Fire Chief Kent Adams told the Chicago Tribune. "This is a pretty good sized leak."

Adams said about 50 gallons of crude per minute were leaking from the pipeline before it was contained. He said the leak was stopped about 40 minutes after it was first reported. Officials with Enbridge Energy said in a news release that the line was "shut down within minutes."

50 gallons a minute is not that bad, and should not take much longer to repair. So do not expect any long-lasting impact on prices.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
Just went up here in SC from $2.69 to $2.75:mad: but still better than most:)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

Oil near 1-month highs on expected U.S. stock drop
Published September 14, 2010 | Reuters

Oil was steady on Tuesday near one-month highs above $77 ahead of inventory reports expected to show crude stock draws as the shutdown of the biggest Canada-U.S. pipeline enters a fifth day.
(snip)
Total U.S. crude inventories probably fell by 2.3 million barrels last week, their second straight weekly drop, after the shutdown of Enbridge's Line 6A cut imports, a Reuters poll showed ahead of weekly supply reports on Tuesday and Wednesday.

"No resumption in the Enbridge pipeline could be supportive for more days," said Ken Hasegawa, a commodity derivatives manager at Japan's Newedge brokerage. "Depending on how long the line is down, the market will try to break through $80 this week."

Crude stockpiles at Cushing, Oklahoma, the pricing point for the U.S. benchmark, have remained high for most of the summer, despite a series of drops in the past few weeks.

And the country's total petroleum inventories climbed to a new peak of 1,143,500,000 barrels in the week to Sept. 3, the highest since at least 1990, when the government began issuing weekly data.

"We can expect some decrease in stocks in some regions, but still no fears of a shortage," Newedge's Hasegawa said. "There is plenty of surplus."

Enbridge's Line 6A feeds right into the heart of the Midwest's oil network. The closure is affecting refineries in the region and storage at Cushing, where inventories fell more than 200,000 barrels to 35.54 million in the week to Sept. 3.

On Monday, there was still no estimate of when the troubled duct would resume shipments.

The Enbridge outage has the potential to reduce flows to Cushing by about 300,000 barrels per day (bpd), according to J.P. Morgan oil analysts, taking into account the possibility of pumping crude through alternative routes.

Line 6A was shipping 459,000 bpd when it leaked on Thursday, about two-thirds of its 670,000 bpd total capacity.

A small oil spill on Monday forced Enbridge to close a 70,000-bpd pipeline in New York State, just four days after a leak in Illinois forced the shutdown of the bigger line.

This week's inventory reports were expected to show little change in stocks of U.S. products. Distillates, including heating oil and diesel, rose about 300,000 barrels last week after two weeks of drawdowns, the poll showed, while gasoline inventories fell about 400,000 barrels.
[end of excerpted article]

According to the Energy Information Agency, gasoline prices at the pump rose over 10 cents/gallon in the Midwest region last week - mostly because of the pipeline break - while prices dropped in most other parts of the country. Diesel prices were up slightly or down slightly in all regions. Supply issues are localized, while the country and the world have plenty. So currency fluctuations are more likely to affect prices more than supply and demand, over the next few months.

Crude prices at $70-80/barrel are adequate to encourage exploration and the development of new oil fields. Also, high enough to discourage wasteful uses, but low enough not to drag the economy lower than it is already headed.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I paid $2.71 in South Carolina on Sunday. I've noticed that gas has gone up over a dime since Friday.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Spot check around some other Mississippi Delta towns:

Cleveland, MS — $2.699 (-10¢ w/ supermarket card+points)
Greenville, MS — $2.699 (-10¢ w/ supermarket card+points)
Indianola, MS — $2.749
Itta Bena, MS — $2.899

Paid $2.599 at the Kroger in Greenville today.

Sticker on the pump: "May contain up to 5% biodiesel"

That's a new one for me. Is Kroger going green or is this something else?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
So far, around here we go from a low of $2.65 for Brand X cash to $2.85 for BP, and the sign doesn't say it's their premium diesel.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Driving around today, most of the stations I saw had D2 at $2.95-2.99, but there are some in the Kenosha area, specifically at the Hwy 50 and I94 intersection that are at $3.09, with one station at $3.19. One of those stations had a 50-cent spread between RUG and D2. I saw that, and I was like, ***?!? Fortunately, the BP station less than a half mile from my house is still at 2.99, so you can guess where I usually fill up.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
2.97-9 at the stations I passed today. Interesting thing is I filled up at Delta Sonic for 2.99 and their fuel is non bio. The two I checked (Thorntons 2.97, Speedway 2.99) are both bio but apparently they are not passing on the tax savings to customers.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Stopped at another MS Delta Kroger today (Clarksdale) and saw another "may contain up to 5% biodiesel" sticker.

Their price was $2.729.

West Memphis, AR - $2.859 at Kroger
Memphis - anywhere from $2.709 to $2.999.
Senatobia, MS - $2.779

Last edited:

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
Prices have risen pretty dramatically in Orange County. It is very hard to find any stations that sell diesel for less than 3.05 a gallon.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Prices have risen pretty dramatically in Orange County. It is very hard to find any stations that sell diesel for less than 3.05 a gallon.
West Texas Intermediate crude, the benchmark in the US, has risen about $7.50/barrel in the last six trading days; this is due to a slight drop in inventories when an increase was expected, plus a sharp drop in the value of the US dollar.

Unleaded gasoline futures are up about 17-18 cents in that period, while heating futures are up 18-19 cents/gallon. So top up your tanks, neither diesel nor gasoline will get cheaper anytime soon.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh great, and I got a 600 mile round trip to make this weekend. At least I still have four 10¢ discounts at Kroger waiting to be used. ;)

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Details . .

West Texas Intermediate crude, the benchmark in the US, has risen about $7.50/barrel in the last six trading days; this is due to a slight drop in inventories when an increase was expected, plus a sharp drop in the value of the US dollar.
Unleaded gasoline futures are up about 17-18 cents in that period, while heating futures are
up 18-19 cents/gallon. So top up your tanks, neither diesel nor gasoline
will get cheaper anytime soon.
:)

Oil: Price Change Time
Nymex Crude Future 81.57 1.60 15:44
Dated Brent Spot 83.32 1.90 15:49
WTI Cushing Spot 81.58 1.61 14:31

Gold:
1.00 XAU = 1,318.32 USD

USD:
1.00 EUR = 1.37827 USD

So what can we do? Very little I'm afraid!

:D

D