Code 19561, valve flap for intake manifold; open or short to ground. I got this check

anoblefox

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon
what does this look like, is it on the intake manifold? What are the wire colors to check. Nothing is disconnected, I need to clear this before our vacation! Please help.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
[/IMG]

It looks like this. The metalic disk shape on top is the diaphragm or vacuum motor for the EGR valve, which moves straight up and down inside. Nothing to see on the outside.
The black operator on the side (the back side when viewed in the car) that moves the horizontal shaft is the intake flapper valve.

You need to follow the vacuum hose off of the intake flapper to the solenoid valve that ports vacuum to it. Probably mounted on your firewall? (Not that familiar with your car - just answered because no one else did.)
The code can mean many things. But in its simplist form it means the ECM did not see the expected current or voltage on the wire coming from the solenoid to the ECU. It expected to see 12 volts, and it did not.
So you could have an open coil on your solenoid,
a wire unplugged or broken,
a high resistance contact or connection.
a wire shorted to ground.
A bad ground on your ECM.

Does your car run?

Dan

anoblefox

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon
Thanks for the reply; It runs fine, this happened just after changing the engine thermostat. I am an electrician so I can test (which device ) if I know what to test and the wire color. From another post from a search it is a purple wire. I have a photo from that post and I will look again tomorrow, today the car has been at the alighnmnet shop.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The power supply is from fuse 34, which also supplies many other important controls. It must be good or you would not be running.

From E29 (connection, in wiring harness engine-where a yellow and black wire brings power from fuse 34) a yellow and black wire brings power to the N239 vacuum relay or solenoid valve, which turns on and off to control vacuum to the intake flapper valve. A lilac and grey wire runs to the ECM, pin 81 of the 121 pin connector (T121/81). The ECM completes the path to ground to turn on N239.

There are 6 yellow and black wires running from the E29 connection to your N75, glow plug relay, N18, and G70(MAF).

If this device is not working you loose the ability to turn off the engine with the key in a runaway condition, such as a turbine or piston ring failure which allows the engine to run on crankase oil. You also will get a funny sounding shutdown - the intake flapper valve normally closes to make the engine pull a big vacuum on the intake during shutdown to make it coast down much more rapidly than it otherwise would.

It will still be fine for normal driving. Many people have removed this valve from their cars. (I do not recommend it.)

I would start out by checking at N239, and verifying you have 12 volts on the yellow and black pin 1 when the engine is running.

If you need to call me check your PM's. I will be available today.

Dan

Last edited:

anoblefox

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon
Dan; Thank You so much! This morning I unplugged the connector and found inside the wireloom the purple wire was completely broken (open circuit) and the yellow was skinned with much bare copper showing. This has been reported on a post here with a photo that is nearly exactly like mine. The real clue for me was when you stated that the engine would shutdown with a different "sound". It has been doing this for several months and it has been driving my motor "gearhead" crazy. I thought the motor mounts were shot. It now shuts down quick & quietly. It was just a freak coincidence that right after I changed the engine thermostat the check engine light appeared. ED
Anyone with a 2003 TDI with high mileage should check for this. Apparently, the hard plastic wire loom rubs the wires and wire insulation due to loom routing and engine movement.

alcub17

TDI
2003 Jetta
I think I have the same problem and my 03 TDI shutsdown a little rough. I got same 19561 code and want to check wiring before replacing anything. Did you replace wire harness or strip wire and crimp new terminals? Do you remember which post include picture of open circuit wiring?

thanks