98 Jetta a/c mystery

Luggin

TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Hello all, here’s the story.
So I finally got my ac pump clutch to engage by bypassing the temperature switch wire coming off the radiator hose. The pump doesn’t make any odd noise and I could here the solenoid click and see the pulley spin when I turn the ac on. Still blows hot air. I refilled with r-134a on the low side to 35 psi (might be wrong) and was still blowing warm. Tried 45 psi and still nothing. I don’t have a high pressure gauge. Blend door works as should. I’ve been thinking the compressor might be shot, but I still need to do some investigation. Thoughts? TIA

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Need to know the high side. TXV or RCV could be bad... worst case scenario would be the compressor.

45 on the low, is likely too much. I usually stay between 30-35, when topping off.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you need a proper set of gauges. going off pressures is risky. never use those box store gimmicks with the gauge on it. Report back once you get a harbor freight gauge set and calibrate your gauges and take some readings.