Mini Bixenons in my New Beetle!

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
You know it's not bad. Pull belly pain, remove serp belt, remove AC compressor, remove right radiator fan, cut out piece of card board that will go against radiator where fan was, disconnect battery, remove alt wiring, tie back radiator hoses to make room for alt, remove alt bolts, give alt a twist and move towards driver side of car, tilt 90degrees and down she comes. For me the hardest part was removing those 3 stupid little bolts that hold the fan on.
Have fun James!

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
James I know you have kept track, how many hours do you have in this retro? Really fo love mine. They have worked perfectly.

Last edited:

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Last I heard, James was about to embark on an alternator replacement...that was the last I heard. 'You still there James?

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Good question...I sent him an email a couple of weeks ago and have yet to
receive a reply. I hope he's okay.

Broukanádrž

TDI
2003 Beetle,Platinum Grey
Any word on a kit yet for the bi-Xenons I have a set of FXR-IV waiting patiently for a possible fix to make me have awesome headlights like yours...

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
I know this thread is ancient but I just now got around to doing an actual retrofit rather than the plug and play oem automotive lighting kit I put in one of my 2001 bugs.
I wanted to see about finding something that fell within the footprint of the stock halogen projector so I could retain the oem high beam. What I found was the Morimoto mini h1 7.0 and was able to mount it within the halogen carrier/adjuster. Just got around to testing the electrical and had success. Now I have to finalize the wiring and the routine thereof and mount the units and aim.

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Just did a drive about after final installation and aim. The results are on par with the oem HID I had installed in my 2001 bug back 6 years ago but since I had retained the stock hi beam in addition to the bi-xenon of the h1 mini v7.0 in this latest install, it surpasses it easily so much so that I ordered another kit for my last 2003 bug.

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
I know this is a really, really old thread, but the kit I installed 10 years ago (post 397) is back on fleabay. I bit pricey but one can make an offer. Bought two more kits. Would much rather do this than retro fit the halogen unit.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
If I had a bug...

But anyway, since this pup is actually mounted, and not depending on a 'screws in where the headlight bulb goes', I would recommend the shorter, but *STELLAR 4TL-R projector. It is a D2S bulb, a side pull shield dropper solenoid, and OMG, a very fine pattern. Light it up with a 45W Hylux A0050 ballast and hang on... :)
cheers,
Douglas