Oil changes after 100,000 miles

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I have a JSW with a standard transmission and a Malone 2.0 tune. It now has 100,000 miles. It burns no oil, does not leak and I've had absolutely no problems with the car. I follow the VW recommendation for oil and filter change every 10,000 miles. I use fully synthetic 5wt-40 oil.

My question is: at 100,000 miles should I begin changing oil more often or go to an oil for high mileage engines. I love this little beast and want it to last forever, so I would appreciate any information on experience with high mileage VW TDI engines.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just continue on with the usual 10K OCI's. "High mileage" oils are nothing more than marketing nonsense. The marketing seems to claim that the product will swell seals and gaskets some to keep older engines from leaking oil. Pure nonsense. If you had a seal or gasket that leaks, you should just replace it.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I've only seen that "high mileage" marketing on passenger
car oils mostly intended for gasoline engines. Mobil1 high mileage comes to mind. If those oils have any diesel ratings at all they're probably extremely outdated like CF.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
My car is close to 500,000 km (over 300,000 miles) and I have never used any HIGH MILEAGE Oils. Just use the "right" Oil for your engine.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
What your average cruising speed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks TDI smile. And do you still change oil and filter at 10,000 mile (16,000 KM) intervals?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I would say most likely. 10K mile OCI's are actually conservative. The 3K and 4K mile OCI's are left over from the 70's and earlier then synthetic oils were not available yet except for Amsoil. I don't buy Amsoil because of their snakeoil marketing, but ya, they were the first seller of synthetic oil which had it's roots in military aircraft oil of which the technology was stolen from the military by Amsoil's founder.

These days, every oil manufacturer produces synthetic oil, so the advantage Amsoil once had are long gone.

Last edited:

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Rattler. And I appreciate the info on Amsoil. I know a couple people who swear by it, but I've never been a fan.

As an aside, I live in a rural area on 5 acres and have killed up to 9 of your relatives in one year. I believe in live and let live, however, it gets very expensive when they bite one of my dogs or cats, so they gotta go if I find them.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Huh? Non of my relatives have been killed by a mouth breathing ignorant redneck.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I caught two this year, oops last year, both under a foot. One curled up by the front walk the other next to the garage door. I wonder if they were siblings. Took them down to the wash and let them go.

I figger if dogs and cats are that stupid it's better to let Darwin's theory play out.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Don't change a thing...
100k special oil is marketing...and then mostly for GASOLINE CARS...
the main thing these "special" high mileage oils have is an agent that swells gaskets... hoping to stop or slow leaks.
The issue...the stuff is like CRACK for you engine...
Stop using it, and the gaskets SHRINK MORE that before it was used... making leaks, worse, or even STARTING LEAKS....
The chemicals that swells gaskets need to be used in increasing amounts overtime.....
And if you ever want to use this stuff, you can add it separately... besides, does anybody even sell "special" 100,000+ mile oil for our engines?

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Zippy, thanks for the info. I'll continue to go with an oil and filter change at 10,000 mile intervals. As a precautionary measure I've got my VW at the local garage to have the brake fluid, anti- freeze, fuel filter, and timing belt changed. I've had exactly no problems with the car and want to keep it that way.

KLXD, you're obviously not a pet owner. There's a reason why many expensive hunting dogs get snake avoidance training. Obviously they're not as bright as you. My humane rescue canine saved me from getting bit. It was after dark and I was outside walking on my patio. I didn't have a flashlight and the rattlesnake did not warn me of it's location. It was about 3 ft from me when my dog rushed past me and attacked the snake that she could see, and I didn't. She managed to kill the snake, but got bit in the process. It was a $1,300 vet bill to make sure she recovered, but well worth the money.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I'm more averse to rodents than reptiles - never had a viper try to get into the house!
So learn when and where to be on the trail and leash when necessary, train if you can.
Close encounters can be avoided without killing a needed member of the food chain.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Here in Washington State they have a yearly event in a town called Ward called the rattlesnake roundup were they go out and kill as many rattlesnakes as they can. I really hate rattlesnakes, but to just go out and kill them is so wrong. Right or wrong they are part of the food chain.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
547,000 miles just changing the oil and filter every 10,000 miles. Same old Mobil diesel synthetic except for whatever the dealer used the first two 5,000 mile fills.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
547,000 miles just changing the oil and filter every 10,000 miles. Same old Mobil diesel synthetic except for whatever the dealer used the first two 5,000 mile fills.
Damn, that's impressive. Has the head ever had to come off? Says a lot about following the manufacturers maintenance schedule.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
My Golf has 410k and counting, oil and filter every 20k.
I have heard of people pulling the head ar 400K miles and they posted pictures showing the factory cross hatches on the cylinder walls still visible.

410K miles is impressive considering 20K OCI's. At your present mileage, you saved $4,000 to $5,000 over people that have the ridiculous idea oil and filters needs to be changed at 3K to 4K miles.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
New I feel your pain. I retired in 2000 and can't even imagine the pain of having another job.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Rattler, I just noticed your adjusted cam to crank timing. I haven't seen anything on that, can you tell me what that involves and the advantage to it?

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, in doing some internet research I found where there is a very long thread on this subject. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to fully understand it, but think I kinda sorta get the idea.

And it makes sense, because I just had my timing belt replaced and since then the engine feels different, like the power curve has changed just a little bit, and the cam to crank timing would account for that difference. Not a great difference, but I can definitely feel a difference.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Thanks TDI smile. And do you still change oil and filter at 10,000 mile (16,000 KM) intervals?
Right on. I change between 15,000 km and 20,000 km (10,0000 and 13,000 miles)