Question Regarding: GTI Springs, Eibach Springs or H&R Springs

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon; 2010 Golf Wagon
Hi guys, I am wondering what your opinions are on installing either GTI springs or Eibach/H&R sport springs on my New Beetle. I have read I need to install a aftermarket sway bar with the Sport Springs anyone have views/experience to the contrary? Aside from the lower .5 inches over the GTI springs would I really feel any extra effects from the sport springs? I may do a few track days but this is mostly for daily driving. I think the 1.4 inches up front may be death come winter with my car as it seems low enough already...

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
I have the Eibach installed by the dealer on my Jetta. I also have a RSB. I can't remember how the car handled with out the RSB...just that the day it was installed was a day of drama. I was not expecting the changes or improvement in handling. If I were to do it again, I'd do the RSB first and live with that a while, then maybe change the springs. As for being too low for winter time...well the Jetta has plowed itself home on more than one occassion this last couple of winters.

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi by RSB I take it you mean Rear Sway Bar? If you don't mind my asking which did you install? I was thinking of doing the rear sway bar and front/rear stress bars also. The skidplate has tightened up the front end somewhat and the car doesn't really have too much body lean but I don't have a lot to compare it to. Thanks for the reply and any more to come also.

kack

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 BMP
go with a rear sway bar its a big upgrade as the rear suspension kinda sucks in stock form.
the front suspension is pertty good and the end links should not be an issue with only a mild drop

I have h&r springs and they leave enough clearance along with my steel skid plate that winter is not an issue. I leave the coilovers off in the winter they are far too low.

kei78

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
If your going to be slamming your car more than 2", then your going to need to do ONE of the following...

1. Get end links to give enough clearance to your stock sway bar
2. Remove your front sway bar all together
3. Get an aftermarket front sway like neuspeed, but if you go this route, you should really think of getting the rear sway bar as well.

If you dont, you will eventually kill your drive shafts...trust me, i know...i had to upgrade to raxles stage 2 drive shafts on my 1.8T.

Since your going with a mild drop of about 1.5" or less...youll be fine.

On my TDI, i have KW variant 1's lined up, skid plate waiting to be put on, and a nuespeed front sway ready to go on... although i dont plan on slamming it :p... just trying to source the nuespeed three way adjustable rear and iam good to go!

On my other mk3 golf, i had the FK Cup kit 40/30 kit (i think) very mild since it was my daily driver and no issues for years.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Unless you get some new drop spindles (H2Sport, or TT) your camber is never going to be decent enough not to prematurely wear out your tires...

Gotta pay to play I guess.

kei78

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
The spindles from h2sport wont save your drive axles if your dropped below 2". Since hes only going down at max 1.5" his suspension geometry should still be ok (slightly off). Shine racing also has that same philosophy about handling first before looks and there kits actually give you a reverse rake...

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I have a mixed bag of springs on my Jetta at the moment. (came like this...I swear!)

If I ever change the springs myself, I think I'm going to search out a set of GLIs. To be honest, it depends on your driving style. If you are looking to really drop it, then go aftermarket. I just find the aftermarket kits go hard, so it really changes your ride comfort. I would personally go with a dropped set that VW made for the car, and put a rear sway bar in.

I have an "O-bar" (solid bar similar to the shine bar). If I were to do it again, I might have gone with a different aftermarket one. You have to drill through the axle in order to install this one.

Again, it really depends on what you want to do with the car, and what your comfort level is. If you are looking to do some track stuff or solo events, then look into a proper setup. If this is just for looks, then that's different.

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi guys thanks for the responses. First and foremost this is for performance.. the car is already pretty sweet as far as cornering goes but I am sure it could be better and that is my goal. I wouldn't mind the car a bit lower as it does have a fairly large gap between the wheels and fenders but I don't want to go low enough that I am bottoming out all the time in the winter on my skidplate. I am thinking the GTI/GLI springs may be the best bet since I get a 0.5 inch drop and a slightly firmer ride. This is my daily driver and I already cringe when I hit a pothole I didn't see coming (like the recessed man hole at Eglinton and Laird ;/). The rear sway bar is likely my first install followed by front stress bar. The car does have 255 k on it so tracking it may just bring me more grief to the bank account... speaking of tracking... anyone here indulge? We should see about scheduling a Toronto Meet up at a track some time.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
If I were to do it again, I'd do the RSB first. I really doubt I would drop the car again...run stock ride height. Perhaps different spring rates if they are available. Then, I'd be inclined to seek a car with a stress bar and see if I could have a quick go in that to determine the differences. I was never convinced a stress bar would be of much value, but then on the fall fun run, Vic always managed to stretch it out a bit in the corners, and he had stress bars.

Though lowering the car will drop the CG, once again, after 4 years with this car, I'm inclined to think there is some value to having a little longer and compliant suspension to keep the tires planted on the road surface rather hopping and bobbling.

Last edited:

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I had H&R sport springs for over a year. Loved the ride as it was just a little stiffer than stock. They are now on my friends TDI, so now i have Koni Coilovers with adjustable height/dampening. Front(45mm) and rear(60mm) are all the way down. Rear is med, front is soft. I like the ride, but i'm sure it's not for everyone. Front camber is in spec using Ingalls Engineering Camber Kit.

Stock:

H&R's:

Koni's:

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Honestly, the front isn't too bad on the MKIVs. You might notice a SLIGHT difference with a front sway bar, but the rear is where the biggest change will happen. The MKVs are apparently better, but I've never tried one myself.

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi what do you guys think of the shine sway bar? Any other options with similar designs? The shine seems a bit pricey when you consider its minimalist design.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Do you plan on installing the bar yourself, or getting a shop to do it?

First thing I will note, the shine bar is designed for stiff suspension setups. (like the ones they sell) There are a number of VW guys who have run the shine bar on a regular setup and have had it crack. I'm not sure if shine has corrected this issue or not. If you plan to run a more normal suspension setup, you can always look at the O-bar. It's very similar to shine's bar, but is solid instead of hollow.

I installed one of these bars on my MKIII, and have one on my MKIV. It's nice that they are hidden. They are a major major PITA to install. You have to drill through your axle. If you don't have a hoist, I don't recommend doing this job. I did it without a hoist, and my hands were cramped for the next week. Yes, I used cobalt bits, etc. I think I went through a couple of bits trying to get through the axle.

If I would be installing it myself, I think I would rather go with one of the other style bars which clip onto the axle, and get bolted to where the shocks are. Much easier to install.

If you decided to go with the shine or o-bar, there is some annual maintenance of them. As they come, you have to go under the car every year and check the bolts to make sure they are tight (yes, even with nylon nuts). My MKIV had it on when I bought it, and the thing was squeaking like crazy...drove me nuts until I figured out what the problem was. I fixed the issue completely with a new set of bolts, new nuts, lock washers, blue loc-tite, and I put tefflon washers in there. The tefflon washers remove any chance of getting a squeak.

Chris, I see you are in Stouffville...if you want to try and see what the ride is like, let me know...Aurora isn't that far away.

kei78

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I can only comment on the nuespeed RSB...that one wasnt too bad to install, but i did have my dad with me helping... an extra set of hands did help!

No drilling required on the NS RSB...

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok thanks for the heads up.. I was actually mistakenly thinking the shine would be easier to install but you cleared that up :) I will look into the Neuspeed then.. I won't be installing springs/shocks for a while now as I have this new house debt I want to get a handle on first. I figure the Sway bar is a fairly inexpensive upgrade for a good return.

Thanks for the test ride offer.. I may take you up on that ;)

kei78

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
On the NS RSB, there is three different settings, basically low, medium and high...i set it on medium first before moving it over to high... the mk4 suffers from sever understeer anyways, so the bar will bring it back to nuetral. On high, i have heard that some guys actually managing to kick out there back ends depending on your setup. ie, if you remove your front sway completly or if you get a beefier front sway...

Just take it easy when you hit the corners and get used to the way the car reacts once you have it on...

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have a Neuspeed RSB. Very easy to install. The mounts are secured to the axle with wrap around brackets, so no drilling or any modifications required. Simply bolt the mounts to the axle, remove & replace the 2 bottom shock bolts with longer ones and its done. Took me about 20 minutes. I have mine on the medium setting still. I might adjust it just to see the difference once the weather warms up.

BTW, I got mine used on the Vortex for $200. They are over $300 new, so if you are not in a hurry, shop around for a used one for a bit before commiting to a new one.

DieselDrink

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI 1.9L
Chris, I found used 20th AE golf springs for my golf, are those similar to GTI springs for your beetle? It lowered only a little bit, maybe 0.5" and its great. Looks nice, but not too low for winter etc in my opinion.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
If I had a car with no RSB, I'd put one of these easier bars on. The Neuspeed is just one on the market. There's also Eibach and autotech.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Toronto_Vento said:
If I had a car with no RSB, I'd put one of these easier bars on. The Neuspeed is just one on the market. There's also Eibach and autotech.
My Autotech required drilling the axle. That Neuspeed set up looks slick.

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys, looks like there is another toy in that garage (top left of pic). ;) I didn't realize the install was that straight forward... this is definitely next on my list.