"VW Jetta TDI Sets New World Record: 58.82 MPG"

tdimid

TDI
none
"Hyper-miling couple going for trans-continental mileage record" in '09 TDI

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/0...e-going-for-trans-continental-mileage-record/

COUPLE SETS OUT TO BREAK GUINNESS WORLD RECORD FOR LOWEST FUEL CONSUMPTION ACROSS THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES
2009 Jetta TDI clean diesel selected as vehicle of choice
HERNDON, Va.-Two of the world's most fuel-efficient drivers, John and Helen Taylor, will embark today on the "Taylors' Diesel Inspiration" tour-an attempt to break the current world record for lowest fuel consumption on a drive across the 48 contiguous United States. To help meet this goal, the Taylors will be behind the wheel of an all-new, 50-state-compliant clean diesel Volkswagen Jetta TDI employing simple "FuelStretch" fuel-saving driving tips they developed with Shell.

The Taylors are an Australian husband and wife team who set a Guinness World Record for driving around the globe on 24 tanks of fuel behind the wheel of a Volkswagen Golf in 2006, and as always, Guinness World Records rules and regulations will be strictly adhered to on this challenge. Approximately 12 official check-in and refueling stops across the country are included throughout the duration of the drive, which is slated to conclude September 26 in W. Va. The current world record for the lowest fuel consumption on a nationwide drive is 51.8 miles per gallon.

"It will be a great challenge and adventure to drive through the 48 U.S. mainland states," said Helen Taylor. "We want to educate the American public that by choosing the right car, using the right fuel and adopting fuel-saving driving techniques, everyone in the U.S. can save money, fuel and reduce carbon emissions."

Kicking off their more than 8,000-mile drive at a Shell station in Chantilly, Va. followed by a "flag-off" ceremony at the Volkswagen of America, Inc. headquarters in nearby Herndon, Va., the Taylors are setting out on this challenge in their vehicle of choice-Volkswagen's all-new clean diesel Jetta TDI-powered by the fuel of their choice-Shell Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel.

"We're thrilled that the Taylors have chosen our all-new clean diesel Jetta TDI in their attempt at setting a new Guinness World Record for lowest fuel consumption," said Stefan Jacoby, CEO/President, Volkswagen of America, Inc. "We believe our Jetta TDIs truly offer a no- compromise alternative fuel driving experience that provides our customers the best of both worlds-excellent fuel efficiency combined with a dynamic driving experience. We're excited to see the tremendous fuel efficiency that the Taylors will get as they set a new world record. We wish the Taylors the best of luck and a safe journey," added Jacoby. It's just good clean diesel fun.

Volkswagen has more than 30 years of experience selling diesel passenger cars in the United States, and they're the first manufacturer to market with an affordable 50-state compliant clean diesel passenger vehicle that meets the strictest emission standards of California and the world.

The Environmental Protection Agency estimates the Jetta TDI at an economical 29 miles per gallon city and 40 miles per gallon highway. Volkswagen went a step further to evaluate the real-world fuel economy of the Jetta TDI.

Leading third-party certifier, AMCI, tested the Jetta TDI and found it performed 24 percent better in real world conditions, achieving 38 miles per gallon in the city and 44 miles per gallon on the highway.* Using fuel-saving driving techniques and vehicle maintenance tips from Shell, the Taylors hope to push their fuel efficiency even further.

The couple will drive on a counter-clockwise route including stops in Va., Vt., Ohio, Iowa, S.D., Mont., Nev., Calif., Colo., Okla., Ill., La. and W. Va. Some of the fuel-maximizing tactics the Taylors will employ on the road include actions such as avoiding idling and higher speeds, minimizing vehicle drag and performing regular vehicle maintenance.

"With everyone focused on stretching their fuel dollars, the Taylors' world record-breaking attempt will demonstrate to American drivers that a little modification to vehicle maintenance and driving habits can help maximize fuel economy," said Jens Mueller-Belau, U.S. Retail Fuels Marketing, Shell Oil Products U.S. "Like the Taylors, we have a passion for fuel economy, and we're glad both Shell fuel and "FuelStretch" tips will power this exciting event."

The Taylors have made a 26-year career out of driving economically and conducting workshops globally on fuel-efficient driving techniques. Along the way, they have collected 36 world fuel economy world records from drives around the globe in Australia, Asia, South Africa, Europe, the Middle East and North America.

Via their Web site, the Taylors will be sharing their personal experiences on the road. For more information and regular reports from the road, visit www.fuelacademy.com. For a complete list of fuel-saving driving tips, visit http://www.shell.com/us/fuelstretch.
Link to Webcast of Volkswagen headquarters kick-off event: http://easylink.playstream.com/winlive/netcaster1.wvx

Link to information on the Taylors' 2006 Guinness World Record for Fuel Efficiency:
http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/aboutshell/media_center/news_and_press_releases/archive/2006/fuel_challenge_record.html
*29 city / 40 highway EPA estimates; 38 city / 44 highway real-world fuel economy based on AMCI testing. Actual mileage may vary. For more information on Volkswagen, go to www.vw.com.

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)
I AGREE- LET's GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My '02 Jetta averages 55 HWY! We should organize a record setting caravan! Heck VW just moved their US headquarters here in VA. With all of us that knock the socks off of that 51.8 we could make some REAL NEWS!

gnatman1102

TDI
2009 Jetta DSG, 2010 Golf DSG
My '09 TDI Loyal indicated 48.9 mpg average for the 30-mile trip to work this morning in mixed driving.:)

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
Yea, why bother using a less efficent TDI when an older TDI would've smashed the record? Maybe they're being paid for the 2009 TDI attempt?

bluengreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat, 2009 Jetta, had 1985
Nice PR move, but what does it matter when they aren't producing or selling the car. Dieselution is to deliver. Instead of delivering a TDI to a Guinness World Book hypermiler, they should start delivering to hyper-po'd order holders. So-what happens if a record is set? More people will order who can't or won't get a car, that will help the cause like an acid facial at a plastic surgeons office.

ChuChu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Wow, September sure is a popular time for breaking records. There's another team doing a coast-to-coast run in a modified Jetta just four days ahead of these guys except they're going from NYC to LA non-stop on a single tank. http://www.willierun.com/

I made a post about this a few weeks ago but for some reason it never showed up.

bum944

TDI
Jetta Sportwagon
bluengreen said:
Nice PR move, but what does it matter when they aren't producing or selling the car. Dieselution is to deliver. Instead of delivering a TDI to a Guinness World Book hypermiler, they should start delivering to hyper-po'd order holders. So-what happens if a record is set? More people will order who can't or won't get a car, that will help the cause like an acid facial at a plastic surgeons office.
Good points, really doens't make sense to stage a PR move and not deliver product. I'm sure Mercedes and BMW won't mind!

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
At least one AZ dealer has several new TDIs available now with more coming. Apparently many have backed out from the waiting list. :confused:

LarryR

TDI
75 914
Thats pretty cool. I have been resisting the boost and even coasting when possible with my dsg and I am pretty much 40 - 41 mpg consistently on my 50 mile one way to work. It is downhill a lot of the way to work and I average 42-43 and on the way back I get 38-39. As stated before I have a very heavily trafficed stop and go commute.

I love the car 800 miles and 2 weeks later :) I did not drive into the office a few of those days that is why the descrepancy in commute vs total accumulated miles.

A

azbioguy

Yep...I spoke to one of the salesmen...people ordered their cars at MSRP. Now the ones who are backing out their cars are selling for $2,000 - $4,000 over MSRP once they show up on the lot.

Kabin said:
At least one AZ dealer has several new TDIs available now with more coming. Apparently many have backed out from the waiting list. :confused:

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
azbioguy said:
Yep...I spoke to one of the salesmen...people ordered their cars at MSRP. Now the ones who are backing out their cars are selling for $2,000 - $4,000 over MSRP once they show up on the lot.
So why are these people backing out of their orders? If firm orders are walking away from these cars, I wonder how well they'll really sell at $2k - $4k over.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
BRUSSELS BELGIAN said:
51.8 miles per gallon is the record? I'll beat that in a B5.5 Passat!:eek: Lug Nut...when do we leave to set the record?
This couple from Oz currently holds the world record for city to city, unrefueled driving distance of just a shade over 1400 miles.
That's right. We have among out members several who have broken the Guinness distance record already.
I have a full copy of the regulations Guinness needs to have their stamp of approval if anyone is interested. To be eligible for Guinness recognition the vehicle has to be unaltered from its as delivered condition, and be less than 6 months old. B4V are no longer eligible due to Guinness's "currently available" clause :(.

But think what a kick in the teeth it would be to have 12 year old technology, running cleaner, renewable biodiesel, tag along for the entire trip using less fuel, producing lower emissions, getting further range, and being annoyingly in the background of every promotional picture taken.
A 30 mile drive, or 500, or coast to coast, are easy in comparison to touching each of the 48 contiguous states and keeping the average up that high.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Lug_Nut said:
But think what a kick in the teeth it would be to have 12 year old technology, running cleaner, renewable biodiesel, tag along for the entire trip using less fuel, producing lower emissions, getting further range, and being annoyingly in the background of every promotional picture taken.
You think so? Cleaner and fewer emissions out of a B4 than a Tier 2 Bin 5 Jetta?

LOL at "annoyingly in the background of every promotional picture taken"... it would be like the movie Duel... a B4 waiting patiently at the side of the road, while the Jetta fills up at the fuel station...

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/DSG, black on black
h
jvance said:
So why are these people backing out of their orders? If firm orders are walking away from these cars, I wonder how well they'll really sell at $2k - $4k over.
They won't, for long. An artificial demand has been created for and by "early adopters." Once those are cleared out (happening already as there is lot stock in Dallas, Houston, and other population centers), the 2009 TDI will be no different than any other car. Go to the dealer, pick your car from stock, cut your best deal, and drive away. That's good news for those who ignore the frenzy (apparently there's not much of one) and wait a little while.

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
tdibigd said:
They won't, for long. An artificial demand has been created for and by "early adopters." Once those are cleared out (happening already as there is lot stock in Dallas, Houston, and other population centers), the 2009 TDI will be no different than any other car. Go to the dealer, pick your car from stock, cut your best deal, and drive away. That's good news for those who ignore the frenzy (apparently there's not much of one) and wait a little while.
That tactic isn't going to work for me. There are several sedans sitting on the lot of our only local dealer, and they will continue to sit at $5K over. They don't care that they don't sell their allotment quickly. They know they're only getting 2 a month from VW, so they're milking each one for everything they can. When VW stopped producing the Diesel Edition, they snapped up every one they could from other dealerships within 500 miles and sat them on the lot with a huge ADM and no negotiating. I think they sold their last one this Spring.

Whatever I buy, I'm going to have to fly out to get it. If that's the case, I might as well order it exactly how I want it. I could wait 6 months and buy it at $500 over invoice, but that will be within a couple hundred dollars, or even over, the MSRP I'm paying right now, since a price hike is on the horizon.

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/DSG, black on black
jvance said:
That tactic isn't going to work for me. There are several sedans sitting on the lot of our only local dealer, and they will continue to sit at $5K over. They don't care that they don't sell their allotment quickly. They know they're only getting 2 a month from VW, so they're milking each one for everything they can. When VW stopped producing the Diesel Edition, they snapped up every one they could from other dealerships within 500 miles and sat them on the lot with a huge ADM and no negotiating. I think they sold their last one this Spring.

Whatever I buy, I'm going to have to fly out to get it. If that's the case, I might as well order it exactly how I want it. I could wait 6 months and buy it at $500 over invoice, but that will be within a couple hundred dollars, or even over, the MSRP I'm paying right now, since a price hike is on the horizon.
I doubt the $5K over will apply for very much longer. The demand won't be sufficient to support that. I don't believe the demand will be sufficient to support current MSRP for long, either. If there's cars sitting on the lot @ current MSRP in various metros right now, then any price hike isn't going to help them move faster...my opinion, we'll see what happens. So far that's the way it's shaping up in Texas, as I suspected.

Have you thought about picking one up in the DFW area? Seem to be plenty here. You can fly out on Southwest for $100 and have a nice long "bonding session" on the way home.

bum944

TDI
Jetta Sportwagon
Pretty good start....

Mathematics

Results first fuelling stop, Shell Concord New Hampshire, for the VW Jetta TDI.

Using the Shell Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel.

Miles driven: 681.1 1096 kms

59.15 US mpg 71.03 IMP mpg 3.97 L/100km

There was more than quarter of a tank of Shell Diesel left!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
fitzski said:
You think so? Cleaner and fewer emissions out of a B4 than a Tier 2 Bin 5 Jetta?
A B4 fueled by B100 (75% lower fossil CO2 than petrodiesel)? Absolutely, as long as all emissions are considered, not just the EPA regulated ones.

jjski78

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, looking at a 96 Passat and hopefully getting the wife an '09 Jetta in spring '09
My local dealer already has a blue TDI sitting on the lot unsold. I'm sure the dealers charging over MSRP will quickly change their tune. When I worked for Honda, we were selling the S2K for about $8000 over MSRP. All of them sold for about 2 months, then they started sitting on the lot. The thrill was gone. They let them sit for two more months until they put them back at MSRP and started to deal. Luckily I'm not going to be buying a new TDI until the spring, so we should have no problem dealing for the car. Every hyped new model goes through this. I've seen it with the S2K, the Prowler (Can we say $15k markup??!!), and even the PT Loser when it first came out ($6k markup! Due to popular demand.)

GideanYates

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 Golf TDI (RIP) 2011 Golf Highline Wagon TDI
The rules of supply and demand will always prevail over the long run so the only way VW will get higher prices for their TDI's is if they keep supply tight or demand drastically increases. On the demand side I can't see this happening. To Joe/Jane public VW is a brand that has reliablity issues when compared to Honda and Toyota or is expensive relative it's competition.....products like the Jetta TDI are upmarket when compared to what folks typically compare them to (ie. a Jetta is way more $$ than a Civic or Corolla).

So as long as WW is aiming to be a niche player their strategy might work but it ain't gonna move volume.

Given Toyotas solid hybrid units sales and the future hybid and plug in models on the horizon from automakers that have a decent market share in the States I can't see diesels faring well in that kind of environment.

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
GideanYates said:
Given Toyotas solid hybrid units sales and the future hybid and plug in models on the horizon from automakers that have a decent market share in the States I can't see diesels faring well in that kind of environment.
Looking at what is available out there and for what price, I don't understand this statement. If VW should have no trouble selling as many TDIs as it brings here. Right now there is no advertising for the TDI because they can't deliver the volume. Just look at the advertising from Chevy. The new Malibu is rated at 33mpg and that is considered "class leading". That Malibu costs about the same as a TDI Jetta and they are selling tons of them. If VW advertised the Jetta TDI the same way Chevy advertises the Malibu they would have no trouble selling as many as they could bring here. We always hear about how scared people are of diesels because of the diesels from the 80's, but just as many people are scared of hybrids because of the "high voltage" and "costly battery replacement". All VW needs to do is spread a little FUD in its diesel advertising scaring people away from hybrids.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
jvance said:
I doubt they will. Probably just testing the artificial demand bubble.

bluengreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat, 2009 Jetta, had 1985
For the ordered and ignored crowd this may be the best justice. The bandito gets no sale and VW can't or won't move additional pieces until it goes out the door. Meanwhile - you can bet your brass someone else is waiting for and already would be driving that car. Blue was my 1st choice in F'in January. Good deal - all loose, congrats captain marketing genius.
Here's the big tip - VWoA, try filling your o-r-d-e-r-s. Here's the thing about an order its a customer saying I am presold and ready to buy. How many VW anythings would VWoA sell if their suppliers viewed orders as they do -optional or last. Yeah - there would be nothin in da haus...
jjski78 said:
My local dealer already has a blue TDI sitting on the lot unsold. I'm sure the dealers charging over MSRP will quickly change their tune. When I worked for Honda, we were selling the S2K for about $8000 over MSRP. All of them sold for about 2 months, then they started sitting on the lot. The thrill was gone. They let them sit for two more months until they put them back at MSRP and started to deal. Luckily I'm not going to be buying a new TDI until the spring, so we should have no problem dealing for the car. Every hyped new model goes through this. I've seen it with the S2K, the Prowler (Can we say $15k markup??!!), and even the PT Loser when it first came out ($6k markup! Due to popular demand.)

steveditt

Screwed by Hudson Valley VW

I backed out of an order after being on Hudson Valley N.Y. list for over two years for a sedan without a deposit and 3 months for a wagon with a deposit. Someone posted that he was lucky to find a wagon a Hudson Valley just by calling around to local dealers, Hudson Valley told him they had called all the folks on the list but no one was interested in red so come on in and he was lucky enough to purchase the car. Hudson Valley never called me and were able to sell the car at a price ? and still had the rest of us waiting on the list . They wanted to know where I got my information from I must be mistaken When requesting my deposit back I had the post and pictures of the guy standing in front of the dealership with his new car and then they said did you want a manual of auto that's when I told them your a joke ! I've owned VW all diesels since 81 and this has been the worst .:mad:

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT
I don't know that diesels will EVER take off here like in Europe......for one thing they have MANY different car companies that make them for that market.......here we have VW and I guess Mercedes........the Mercedes are expensive-and the VW's are basically coming in limited numbers......

and lets face it-VW dealers in the US on average SUCK.......there are a few good ones but outnumbered at least 10 to 1 (maybe 20 to 1) by bad ones.......even if they DID supply good numbers of vehicles (and MARKETed them well)........people would soon sour on them........

I think they are GREAT vehicles-but without all the TDI "gurus" around I probably wouldn't have them (and both mine are TDI's).......the dealers just don't have good diesel mechanics-and thats kinda understandable if they are only getting (and selling) a couple of new diesel vehicles a month......

I haven't been to a VW dealer for service since my 2001 was still new and under warranty........just occasionally to get parts (and only if I can't get the part anywhere else).........

How many of us would still be sticking with TDIs if we had to rely on dealers for service??? Without Fred's and the experts/GTGs etc. a lot of us would be (unfortunately) driving Toyotas and Hondas.......which is what a lot of America is doing..........