MN Chat Thread

waydeki

TDI
none
who's black golf tdi did i see in minneapolis?

i saw a sweet black 4dr golf tdi that said GO TDI on the rear emblem. it was in front of leaning tower of pizza. had some mods. who's ride is it?

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
I've been spotted

Darn and I debadged her and still you found me.:D

Speaking of I35, I spend way too much time driving on freeway.
We are going to replace the brakes later today, 147+ on the odometer.

Last saturday attended a GTG Picnic up in Duluth.
I read about at the last minute. Was a great day except for the wind coming off the lake. It was put on by a bunch of gassers up in there, but they indicate all are welcome. Even had a couple of Saabs and some ricers. Later in day they went on a drive up to Gooseberry Falls. Couple of nice looking ones there. But not a single beetle was in attendance.

b100koczur

TDI
2001 TDI Jetta 5sp. Green Diamond Tires
Didn't hear about the GTG up here. I live in an information cave. When I got up that morning it was 50 at my house, and when I got to Oakdale (One day trip for work) it was already 80. I thought I'd melt. I keep noticeing in the summer so many more TDI cars passing through Duluth and up the shore. Anyway folks, come on up and enjoy our air conditioned city.

Hart

TDI
Mk5 GTI BMP
Yeah Duluth was fun. Been dropping the ball relaying info on another GTG that has been going on in White Bear Lake for the past couple Thursdays that was put together over at vortex, here is the thread on it. Love to see more cars out there for the next couple weeks. Last week we had a couple of people asking good questions and sounding like they where interested in the cars and such, not just mad a bunch of people in VW's came to crash a car show which it felt like the first week. So anyhoo, all in all, got noting to do on a Thursday night and want to mingle with a bunch of fellow vdubbers, even in they are gassers come on down, we usually start showing up in the parking lot on the north side of 4th between banning and cook around 5'ish

Jedi Jetta

TDI
2006.5 Jetta
I'm new to this group and a new owner of a Jetta TDI 2006.5. I've been reading for a while and picking up some helpful hints to keep my TDI running smoothly. I'm due for the first oil change at 5000 miles. I've had the car a little over a month. Yea, I know, I drive alot. I'm in the St. Cloud area, is it OK to take it to Eich for the oil change? I asked them about using the proper oil and they knew all about the 505.01 requirement. I'm not mechanical at all so changing it myself isn't really an option at this point. Thanks in advance for the info.

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
B-100

I was by the new source of B-99 in Northfield, Mn the other night. $2.94/gl. The same $ as D2. Anyone been using from Northfield??

ganseg

TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI
I'm new, too. Should be picking up a 2001 Beetle tomorrow with only 31K - stored winters! Its an Auto, but that will make significant others happier.

Eich is good. They knew how to clean out my friend's intake when he was down on power and didn't charge too much for a timing belt. Sounds good to me.

Last edited:

BurningBio

TDI
1998 Jetta
New to the club

I just bought a 98 Jetta TDI and got the wife a 2000 Beetle TDI. We have been having a blast and getting great mileage to boot!. Are there any MN (or near by) GTGs coming up? We would love to meet up.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Wow, 305 up here in St Cloud for Diesel.

DB hope you are feeling ok after your accident, you and VR.

No GTG's that I'm aware of, but I'm always up for one.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
my clutch went out yesterday... friend helped tow it back to my driveway with a tow dolly. never made any noises, i just accel'd briskly 1st -> 2nd and then... no 3rd... coasted into a driveway where it sat overnight. checked the shift linkage (dg short shifter) seems fine. it'll shift through the gears if the car is turned off, but on it won't go anywhere. just after coasting in, i did manage to get in reverse and it was stuck there for a while - shift lever wouldn't budge, until i tried starting it a couple times and then it popped out. if i start it with clutch in the whole time, 1st gear, it will try starting and lurch forward for a few feet and eventually start, but still feels like it's in neutral... possible problems i've been told are pressure plate, throwout bearing, dmf.... :( a clutch job is realistically beyond my capabilities, especially with just jackstands in a dirt driveway. not sure how many vw savvy places there are up in north mn.... :eek:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
bigtime bummer pod. how many miles on the clutch?

I've done many a clutches - just never so far from home :eek: . Let me know if I can help.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
just turned 38k... 28k with the rc2... clutch never slipped....

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Burpod clutch

I've only replaced a couple of clutches, none on VW yet. Depending on timing, would be willing to come up to Bemidji from Twin Cities and lend a hand, as I'd like to get familiar with the TDI clutch process.

Maybe it can be an excuse for a sort of GTG?????

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
Farmboy said:
I've only replaced a couple of clutches, none on VW yet. Depending on timing, would be willing to come up to Bemidji from Twin Cities and lend a hand, as I'd like to get familiar with the TDI clutch process.
so would i :) but i think i'd need a bit more than a helping hand :eek:

Farmboy said:
Maybe it can be an excuse for a sort of GTG?????
a GTG could be fun, but i'll be house sitting at my parents in the metro area aug 3rd - 21st, so i think it's gonna have to sit for a bit...

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Need me to drag it down with the F350 (with Wet Okoles)? Has DB done a clutch?

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Spamjohnson said:
Wow, 305 up here in St Cloud for Diesel.

No GTG's that I'm aware of, but I'm always up for one.
I wasn't there. DB did my TB in May in North Branch.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
Spamjohnson said:
Need me to drag it down with the F350 (with Wet Okoles)? Has DB done a clutch?
I'm not sure Brad has any inckling of getting into/under an engine for a few months. Or at the most, his own.

Get well soon, speedy recovery.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Spamjohnson said:
Thanks, I am still shopping around for a 2001-2003 Beetle, automatic. I like manuals but I hate constant shifting during the rush hours.

I decided to not take any more offers as I am in a lot of pain. Still hurts a lot after one week. I will start again when I am feeling better and back to normal. First things first, I need a used TDI Bug. Any help is appreciated. Email me if you do as i don't check the boards. The only one I found is in Turtle Lake, WI but I want to have others to compare as well. The insurance still hasn't looked at the Beetle but the agent it convinenent that it is a total lost. So I want a list on hand to buy. Also keep it near Twin Cities area and the outer ring of the metro as my wife has to do all the driving.

wiz99

TDI
2005 VW Jetta GLS TDI - Plantinum w/ Grey Leather
Just came across this thread...

Hello Everyone...Just came across this thread. Been lurking on tdiclub for some time now, gleaming information and occasionally posting. Just crossed 60K with my Jetta and decided I want to learn more about my TDI and especially how to do more of the routine maintenance myself. Came across this thread looking for a Minnesota/Twin Cities TDI club after watching the instructional videos on cincitdi.com. Sounds like there are a number of TDI owners in the area. I have seen a number of TDIs on my commute from Lakeville to Rochester.

If someone was interested/willing to teach, I would definitely be interested in some kind of GTG. Would be nice to meet some of the other TDI owners around town.

wiz99

TDI
2005 VW Jetta GLS TDI - Plantinum w/ Grey Leather
Spamjohnson said:
Hello Wiz, welcome to the group, our guru DeafBug is down right now, but would be my goto guy on learning from. Other that that, you can see the folks who have posted to this thread as members in the area. My goal is GTG this year or next, VR (viking rob) is looking for other folks heading to the fest. Go ahead and post any questions, I know more (or have read more) about A4's as that's what I have, but there is help all around if you need it.
Thanks for the welcome Sam. My Jetta is an A4 too...so I might have to take you up on the offer for answering some questions in the future. :)

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
clutch update - bleached bora got a vr6/g60 clutch out today, thanks to the help of the chat dawgz (cell phone is lost, no long distance on the home phone), should have it by wed/thurs. tire's plus here in bemidji assured me they shouldn't have a problem installing it, so if all goes well i'll have a working tdi & a big bill on my CC, but a car to drive down to my parents on sat to house-sit for 2.5 weeks. i'm going to leave them my bentley and DBWs clutch how-to printout in case they get stumped somehow. /me crosses fingers :)

paix247

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf 4-Door in Shark Blue
I've been saving up some cash to get my Beetle up to date on maintenance... I would probably be up for a GTG before fall.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
GTG- social

Be happy to host another GTG in North Branch, the Central AC is on in the shop. In the middle of a serious build now but it can always be pushed outside for the day. Picnic? Significant others? Live music? or a serious get-er-done work on the cars GTG?

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
dismantling my dinged up bug? I am still on the fence on buying the bug, it will cost me $2,000. That's why I posted the feeler in the ad section.