Rough Idle Problem with Auto trans, ALH and mods

FirstOrbit84

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 2-Door Golf TDI
Hi guys, I've been lurking the forum for several years since I got my car in '05 and have recently been contributing a little more.

Lately, I began noticing a rough idle problem with my '02 Golf TDI Automatic, when I put the car into Park from gear, i.e. go from D->N->R->P. Basically, as soon as I get it into park from reverse, the RPMs just suddenly drop to 860-863, according to my ScanGauge, about 40-45 RPMs below normal idle which is 901-904. The problem is intermittent, but it's been happening more and more, mostly when the car is warmed up. Once it happens once during a trip, if I put it back into reverse then to park immediately after it happens the first time, it will almost always happen again. But if I just go and keep driving around and then park, it will only happen randomly.

However the engine doesn't just drop rpms, it also sounds very strange. I don't know how else to describe it, but it chugs really hard and slowly, almost like its going to cut out altogether. What other parameter should I be looking for on my ScanGauge to find out what this is? I had a Vag-COM but it was an old serial one that wouldn't work with my Mac and I returned to get a USB one, so I should have one shortly for more diagnosis.

The latest mod that I have is the EVRY mod with a 1k ohm resistor between pins 2 and 3 on the fuel pump harness. The thread on how to do the EVRY mod said that if you go low enough in resistance it will comprimise the idle. I didn't have this problem before, when I first installed it, but the resistor is going to be the first thing to come out. I don't know what else I should try. My other mods are listed in my sig. Please help.

FirstOrbit84

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 2-Door Golf TDI
Update: I just got my Vag-Com up and running, and here's some results:

2 Faults Found:
17946 - Fuel Shutoff Solenoid (N109): Open or Short to Ground
P1538 - 35-00 - -
17055 - Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Circuit (Q10) Electrical Fault
P0671 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I'm sure the glow plug problem is a glow plug harness, and I already have a new one ready to go, so that's not what I'm worried about.

I read up a little on the 17946 code, and it's not throwing a CEL or coming up with any other codes, so I don't suspect a bad ECM or any of the worst case scenarios, maybe just a loose or faulty wire somewhere. Maybe it's the EVRY mod throwing that code, I still haven't removed it to check, but now that I've got a Vag-Com it will be the first thing I do. I've still got good power and I suspect that I've been driving with this fault for a while now.

The idle problem is still intermittent, and doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I've found that if I put it into neutral for a couple seconds before going into R->P it will happen much less often. Also, I forgot to mention above that the idle problem only lasts a 3-5 seconds at most after putting into park and then it will go back to normal, or if I blip the throttle it will usually stabilize right away. Off to more trouble shooting! :p