www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 17th, 2018, 04:14   #1
ihatespeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg city 46 avg, 50 hwy 33 trailer
Default Has anyone gotten a tune after the emmisions fix?

Greetings all,
My 2011 JSW 6mt is in the shop getting the emissions fix now, prior to dropping it off I flashed the ecu with the stock software to avoid any issues with my stage 2 tune. It seems like a bad idea to try and drop the tune right back in, not sure if the checksums would even match up anymore? So has anyone gotten a tune (or major exhaust modifications) after getting the emissions modification? If you think using your VW blood money to mess with your emissions is questionably ethical, I see your point. So if this turns into a flamefest feel free to PM me to keep your name out of the inferno lol
Thanks in advance!
Andrew's 3rd generation (2Micron.com) return fuel filter, and Pure Flow HPFP modification, timing belt guard and the full Malone flashzilla / Buzzken stage2.0 eco treatment (bosal hitch and heavy springs for towing)
ihatespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 05:24   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Isn't there a "staged" fix? In other words, is it wise to opt for a fix and just get the first part?

I think if I were going to take the fix, take the money, I'd also want to have the warranty. Then, once the warranty period is up, mod away.

In my case, I did no fix, no money, deleted/tuned the car, and sold it to a happy new owner. It was hard to give that car up, but ultimately it came down to its pedal deficiency so I let it go.
Old January 17th, 2018, 08:20   #3
TomJD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 worst - 49 avg - 59 best

Brian-when I bought my 15 “new” the first part of the fix was recently completed (hence allowing them to sell the car).

The dealer indicated that I would be notified when part 2 was ready but told me it was up to me to get part 2. That might have been part of the sales pitch, I’m not sure.

Additionally, he handed me new literature that says my dpf should be replaced at 120k and would be covered for free as part of the “fix.”

2000 VW Jetta TDI-3 pedals
TomJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 13:15   #4
Zabel51

Fuel Economy: 5.8 mixed mileage year round

Not sure if i'm in exactly the situation you are in, but I got my 2014 JSW "fixed" and then got a Malone Stage 2 tune one week later. No mods to the stock emission system. I know it may cause problems with the warranty down the road, but I take good care of my TDI and I rationalize that essentially all the tune does is to recover the level of power and torque they have in Europe. The extra torque is very satisfying with no apparent ill affects from the tune.
Zabel51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 06:59   #5
Thunder Chicken

I recently did the ‘VW fix’ on my ‘12 wagon. I had been tuned and deleted before. I reinstalled everything and had the fix done. (Left the computer tuned Btw, and the dealership was still able to do what they needed to do) I then removed everything and re tuned stage 2. Apparently there are some changes the tuner has done to work with whatever VW has changed. I paid a nominal fee to the tuner for this updated mod. I have a Malone tune. However........ I went through quite an ordeal, including getting the wrong tune installed (without a delete) then driving 800 miles with it trying to regen/ limp mode before I got to a place with another tuner dealer to help me out. I now have a weird stumble and what sounds like a louder engine noise at certain RPM/engine loads. I’m slowly eliminating anything that could be causing this and all things point toward the tune, maybe it just needs to be reinstalled, computer glitch or something. Otherwise all is well, car has tons of power, is excellent on fuel. The way the warranty worked in Canada, I’m so close to the mileage threshold of 203k KM that I’m not worried about voiding the warranty with the tune. I drove the car ‘fixed’ for a day and there’s no way it was staying that way. Just the thought of having a dirty ole EGR on there and the funny feelings while in a regen and general lack of power compared to stage 2, made it an easy decision!!
Old January 18th, 2018, 07:51   #6
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I had my leftover never titled '15 tuned after it was fixed by the dealer. Totally worth it. I'd warn against taking the car back to the dealer for warranty work without re-flashing it to stock, but it's unlikely they'll see or pay attention to the counter in the ECU. My car had been re-flashed twice prior to delivery, so I think the flash count isn't that reliable an indicator for the dealer.

I don't intend to take the car back for the Stage 2 fix. On the '15 it mostly consists of replacing components that may be near the end of their service life to ensure the car is compliant for the entire emissions warranty period. Given I don't drive this car a lot (5K miles since April) I doubt I'll have enough miles on it during the Stage 2 fix period to bring it back. Regardless, I won't do it.
Old January 19th, 2018, 10:15   #7
740GLE
Veteran Member

Lots of talk about '15s in this thread, I wasn't aware they made Mk6 in 2015

From what it sounds like if you took your Gen 2, that had a stage 2 stored in a flash loader and had the emissions fix, you can't toss back on the original stage 2 tune, you have to get a modified stage 2 tune.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 10:28   #8
ihatespeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg city 46 avg, 50 hwy 33 trailer

Thank you for all the replies! I took it in, they replaced one of the catalytic converters (nox I think, its the bigger one) with a unit that looked stock, and said they did something with a flap in the air box, I looked under the hood, nothing was evident, Ill look better later, not sure what they were talking about. so far it feels the same as sock, Ill be getting the tune update so I can put my stage 2 back in, it really is a noticeable change in driving behavior.

The Dealer mentioned my car had alot more miles than average for the fix at 142k, but it didn't stop VW from coughing up ~4300.00 in blood money, not bad considering I bought this car two years and 30k ago for 8600.. Just got a EFT notice from JP Morgan.
Andrew's 3rd generation (2Micron.com) return fuel filter, and Pure Flow HPFP modification, timing belt guard and the full Malone flashzilla / Buzzken stage2.0 eco treatment (bosal hitch and heavy springs for towing)
ihatespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 15:01   #9
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJD View Post
Brian-when I bought my 15 “new” the first part of the fix was recently completed (hence allowing them to sell the car).

The dealer indicated that I would be notified when part 2 was ready but told me it was up to me to get part 2. That might have been part of the sales pitch, I’m not sure.

Additionally, he handed me new literature that says my dpf should be replaced at 120k and would be covered for free as part of the “fix.”
The extended warantee requires follow up "2nd" fix when ready. At least that is what I was told.

The extended emissions system warantee guaranteed by the agreement with the EPA/Federal court is so good, I might do it. But I will drag my feet until I can be sure it won't be a BIG mistake. We'll see.

YES, mine is a '15. Sorry to muck up this MK6 discussion. It sounds like MK6 is not subject to the 2nd "fix". I miss my MK6. Was just thinking about that third pedal this morning.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257

Last edited by dubStrom; January 19th, 2018 at 17:33.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 16:16   #10
diesel#2
Veteran Member

my $500 dealer credit applied towards Kerma pre announcement of any fix. once fix announced and once scheduled, i set back to stock and then followed the same procedure as I did on the first install. Within 24 hours I had my car back.

I didn't do the DSG upgrade and appreciated the DSG-retune done by the dealership.

on other cars i've had an upsolute, a rocketchip and .... I think i'll stick w/ Kerma for the next one if/when needed
diesel#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 06:32   #11
Diesl
Veteran Member

Can a moderator move the posts referring to 2015 TDIs, 2nd fixes etc. to the correct forum, or delete them, please? They only create confusion in a 2010-2014 forum, where no such things exist.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 23:13   #12
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

I want to get the Mod to get rid of codes.

Just had my 23U3 GEN 1 Emission Mod and 24CV Snow Flap & O2 sensor done. It was a bit of ordeal, two trips to dealer and two to independent shop. I went to dealer and knew it had codes (P0638 and P2101), they said no can do, but we will try and fix it for $140 an hour. Long story but I took car back from dealer and tried to fix it. In the end, I cleared the P2101 but the P0638 was still there. I dropped it off at the dealer. I cleared the codes and crossed my fingers. The codes stayed away long enough for the dealer to do the modification.

gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 17:40   #13
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

So, question for the group... I suspect a mouse chewed through the wiring going to the rear 02 sensor (by physically inspecting the harness, and the MIL code) about a year ago. Haven't gotten around to dealing with it and wonder if the emissions fix will cover this?

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2018, 16:01   #14
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Why should they? Not that they might not fix it but it isn't anything they did or was defective.
Old February 27th, 2018, 09:01   #15
Diesl
Veteran Member

According to the booklet that we all (the people who got the fix, that is) were sent, the extended VW warranty after the emissions modification covers everything that throws a check engine light, except for transmission related issues. Reason being that the court wants these modified VW's to keep meeting the agreed upon emissions criteria until the end of the warranty period.
With an O2 or temperature sensor missing, that can't be assured.
If that means that VW has to fix some things that aren't their fault in order to guarantee meeting the emissions agreement, so be it. Small potatoes compared to the $18 billion settlement.