Got the fix and now have P2457

add1son

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Just an update on my issue: I got a call from the customer care rep and he indicated that they will be replacing the heater core on my vehicle free of charge as a "goodwill gesture". Will update again after I get a chance to get the work done.

I am driving my bosses vehicle now as my cabin smelled of coolant and I didn't want to continue driving it with the unaddressed issue.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Good news on the "goodwill gesture" wonder if others will be as lucky.

A little coolant in the cabin never hurt anyone ;)

Also the NMS Passats had issues with clogged heater cores.

I personally think the operating temps the coolant sees possibly due to the EGR is too high and is breaking down and that's the "rust" you see in systems, but thats just my hunch.

add1son

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Got the car back today, CEL gone, no cost to me. VW dealer was very pleasant to deal with through the ordeal.

Driving today was the normal post-emissions experience. I'm putting a few hundred miles on over the next few days, hopefully no more issues to report. Thanks for the help.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like N2UADTDI should call up VW Customer Care

so2315

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Add me to the post fix P2457 problem. I did notice the heater core last winter was not putting out heat like it did when new. Had a local mechanic do a backflush and a ton of gunk came out which gave me marginally more heat.
Car has 160,000 miles on it, fix was done less than 5,000 miles ago.
I have never had any issues with this car before the fix, but since the fix I have had 3 separate check engine lights come on.
1.) po472 exhaust pressure sensor. Replaced myself, the one behind the oil fill cap.
2.) p2015 Intake manifold flap. Bought the dieselgeek mod for this
3.) P2457 EGR fault. Debating on having dealer fix heater core or take to local shop and see if that clears out.

I am leaning on working over Volkswagen since the previous OBD programming did not detect this fault, and now I see plenty of others are getting this post fix.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Add me to the post fix P2457 problem. I did notice the heater core last winter was not putting out heat like it did when new. Had a local mechanic do a backflush and a ton of gunk came out which gave me marginally more heat.
Car has 160,000 miles on it, fix was done less than 5,000 miles ago.
I have never had any issues with this car before the fix, but since the fix I have had 3 separate check engine lights come on.
1.) po472 exhaust pressure sensor. Replaced myself, the one behind the oil fill cap.
2.) p2015 Intake manifold flap. Bought the dieselgeek mod for this
3.) P2457 EGR fault. Debating on having dealer fix heater core or take to local shop and see if that clears out.

I am leaning on working over Volkswagen since the previous OBD programming did not detect this fault, and now I see plenty of others are getting this post fix.
if you had the fix, I would take it to the dealer and let them fix it all under the warranty.

schumacher62

TDI
2003 wagon, 2009 sedan
ive been so convinced im turning mine in for the buy-back ive not kept most of the mailings from vwoa. with this extended emissions warranty and my new rear nox failure (not yet repaired, engine light on) is the replacement of my nox sensor covered at no charge?

also, where online can i access this extended warranty? thanks in advance.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
ive been so convinced im turning mine in for the buy-back ive not kept most of the mailings from vwoa. with this extended emissions warranty and my new rear nox failure (not yet repaired, engine light on) is the replacement of my nox sensor covered at no charge?

any extended warranty only applies after you have declined the buy back, and had the fix completed.

if you have done neither, you would be responsible for repair of any defect which causes an MIL before the fix, or could sell back as long as it drives into the dealer under its own power.

so2315

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
The dealer won't even attempt to start the emission fix until all CEL are off, and that will be your responsibility to get that repaired. That's what I was told.

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, 2017 GSW TSI
I have a manual 2013 (no fix yet), and got the P2457 after the dealer had to replace the A/C condenser.

What is VERY odd is since they replaced the A/C condenser, my electric fan run for about 30 seconds after the car shuts off. It didn't do this before they had the car.

Does anyone else have their electric fan run after they shut off the car?

DesertDog

TDI
2014 Jetta
I have a manual 2013 (no fix yet), and got the P2457 after the dealer had to replace the A/C condenser.

What is VERY odd is since they replaced the A/C condenser, my electric fan run for about 30 seconds after the car shuts off. It didn't do this before they had the car.

Does anyone else have their electric fan run after they shut off the car?
Odd, I had the fix done 9/17 and the AC failed 10/3. Fixed the AC, new compressor etc. 10/10 and got the P2457 code today 10/12.I have the 2014 Jetta TDI.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To replace the condensor/compressor they may have to disconnect some coolant hoses and place the front clip in the "service" position. If that's the case, maybe the drain refill, stirred up enough gunk to clog the core.

Big thing is this was noted on two different platforms/engines. Passat has the W2A IC and the Jetta has the A2A.

Also the Passat is known to run coolant high 225-235 and has a slew of known issues with "bad heater cores". I believe, the fans will always run if coolant is higher than 220. I'd wager the 2012 we had bought back had a fair amount of "gunk" in the coolant system as I noticed the fans on way more often than regens.

Just a guess

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
I think mine is just unrelated, it was cold the other day and I have no heat. Looks like it's a plugged heater core and 740GLE is spot-on. :mad:

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
Update: Did some digging and the heater core is covered by a warranty extension (thanks TDI club!!). Called the dealer and they confirmed. Car is currently at the dealer, repair will be covered 100% by VW.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Enjoy the heat, you probably had a failing heater core last winter. Guess the benefits of the extended warranties are starting to shine. If i were anyone's shoes close to deciding about getting the fix, I'd do it ASAP to start the warranty clock (09 DSG bricked ones outstanding).

jobear

TDI
2013 Golf
Same here

I also got the fix and a week later got P2457. Took it in to an independent VW mechanic (not the VW dealer!) and they replaced the heater core - it was under extended warranty. Drove it home, and next time I tried to start it, it would not start. Jumped it and it started right up, then it would not start next time we tried. Either it's a strangely coincidental dead battery or something else going on with the fix. This Golf was PERFECT before the software "fix" and since we got it fixed it's been nothing but trouble and time in shop. Owners! If you're on the fence, get the buyback! VW is dead to me.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I also got the fix and a week later got P2457. Took it in to an independent VW mechanic (not the VW dealer!) and they replaced the heater core - it was under extended warranty. Drove it home, and next time I tried to start it, it would not start. Jumped it and it started right up, then it would not start next time we tried. Either it's a strangely coincidental dead battery or something else going on with the fix. This Golf was PERFECT before the software "fix" and since we got it fixed it's been nothing but trouble and time in shop. Owners! If you're on the fence, get the buyback! VW is dead to me.
There have been many reported battery failures reported in this forum after the 2.0L Gen 1 emissions fix. I just find that a little more than coincidental, but most are content the battery was 3+ years old and would have failed soon anyway. How old was your battery?

Nurse Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen 6-spd. MT
"If i were anyone's shoes close to deciding about getting the fix, I'd do it ASAP to start the warranty clock (09 DSG bricked ones outstanding)."

I have a 2014 JSW manual transmission w/about 47,000 mi on it and am sitting on the fence about "the fix." Would you recommend it to me? I'm an older female who doesn't know squat about working on my own car, and this is the first diesel I've owned.

Nurse Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen 6-spd. MT
Sorry for the bolded text--don't know why that happened and I'm certainly not "yelling" at anyone!

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
actually the REAL important question is: did a new battery stop the dead battery isues? to me the data is inconclusive

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"If i were anyone's shoes close to deciding about getting the fix, I'd do it ASAP to start the warranty clock (09 DSG bricked ones outstanding)."

I have a 2014 JSW manual transmission w/about 47,000 mi on it and am sitting on the fence about "the fix." Would you recommend it to me? I'm an older female who doesn't know squat about working on my own car, and this is the first diesel I've owned.

If I were you, Buyback in 2018. You'd get enough cash to buy a new car with nothing out of pocket.

I'd only do the fix on a low mile '14 if you're in love with the car and couldn't possibly be happy with anything else and plan to hold on to the car for 7+ more years.

If you had 120K+ miles it'd be a different story.

add1son

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
So now that its heater season...

my cabin stinks of antifreeze, and i've gotten a couple of "low coolant level" warning lights.

shouldn't the dealer have changed out the coolant after replacing the heater core?

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
actually the REAL important question is: did a new battery stop the dead battery isues? to me the data is inconclusive
I had to replace my battery and alternator after the EPA fix. I’ve driven well over 10,000 miles already and zero issues with battery or alternator.

spayne

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan TDI, Manual
I had the fix completed on my car the beginning of last week. When I got it back, it ran fine on the way to work buy on the way home I had no heat and the CEL came on with a P2457 code. I found this post that night and took the car back to the dealership first thing the next morning. At the dealership they said it was probably the heater core and it was more than likely already clogged before the fix. I ended up leaving the car with them to check it and let me know what could be done. I got a loaner and immediately called VW Customer Service to start a case. About mid-day the service guy at the dealership called and said that VW would take care of the repair and loaner. He said the mechanic before the fix did check the heater core and it showed to be ok, so that's why they agreed to take care of the repair.

I've only had the car back for a day and all seems to be good. I did notice the car sound a little louder, almost like I'm in one gear lower than I am but the rpms are normal. The car also takes a lot longer to heat up. I went to the store just a minute ago and it took almost 10 minutes to get to 190. It's about 40 degrees outside here now.

2009 Jetta TDI, Manual
272,500 miles
All original

spayne

TDI
I've had the car back about a week now and noticed the heat in the cabin is fluctuating, mostly in the range of very little. Testing with a thermometer in the middle vent (heat all the way on) it will flex from 65 to 90 degree... Right after having the emmision fix the P2457 came up and the dealership ended up replacing the heater core and coolant tank. It seems like there is another clog somewhere in the coolant system that is restricting flow.

I'm going to call the dealer in the morning.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You have an infrared temp prob? measure the coolant hoses going in and out of the core from the firewall with the car up to normal operating temp, fans on 1 and heat maxed.

On a proper core, in temps should be ~190 out temps should be ~150, or about 40 degrees delta. Dealers maybe trying to flush rather than exchange cores as a way to make more money from VWoA.

Also check the access panel where the cabin filter is located, if it's not seated flow out the vents will be dramatically reduced.

spayne

TDI
Thanks 740GLE for the things to check.

I called the dealer the other morning and spoke witb the same service guy but wasn't able to make it to the dealership until this morning. Yesterday it continued to flex in temp and ended up throwing a P2457 CEL. So this morning cranked it up and no more code and heat at 140 at the vent. Dropped it off and they called me a few hours later saying the EGR Cooler is blocked. They are going to replace it and if they can find the part it will be ready tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well. I'll post in a few days on how it's running.

dborja

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE - Night Blue Metallic
I got the CEL less than 5,000 miles after the fix. 'Pulled the codes and got P2457 and a strange "Engine 08215". I brought it back to the dealer and they diagnosed a bad heater core and plumbing - all covered by the extended emissions warranty. Hopefully, that will be it WRT "after-effects"...

Teamzarz

TDI
2009 JSW
On Feb 2nd I took the car to Fields VW of Daytona Beach for my emissions modification. I had a CEL for p2015 which I explained in great detail the cause and fix and I inquired as to whether this would deny me the modification at that time.
Dealer was sure it wouldn't be a problem, I wasn't even back home in the loaner when they called to tell me they couldn't do the fix because of the CEL.

Told them its a bad design on the flapper motor and I could fix it myself for $60. The only approved fix per VW was to replace the entire manifold at $950 parts and labor. Because the dealership already submitted the fix to happen on that day they told me I could not do my $60 manifold fix because the manifold serial is recorded and if I brought the car back with no CEL but the same manifold VW still wouldn't approve my emissions fix.

After 10 days and many phone calls to VWoA, VW graciously covered the manifold replacement so I could get my emissions modification. Thanks VW.

Drove the "fixed" car for about 6 or 7 days to and from work which is roughly 12 miles round trip. Then the the car threw a p2457 for poor EGR performance. Also found an unused 8mm spline drive bolt in my rain tray under my windshield wipers just bouncing around.
Took it back to Fields after I called and informed them of the issue. Service manager said "please bring it in so we can take a look at it, make sure it's not a warranty issue or something that happened during the repair". I brought their bolt back, told them what the code was and that given the research I had done since the EGR coolant jacket is directly connected to heater core usually this code is indicative of a clogged heater core on these cars"

They called me back after I had a loaner Tiguan for two days to say, "It's the heater core it will be 600 dollars parts and labor". I said "No thanks I'll just take the car back, if this isn't covered I'll just fix the heater core myself as its not incredibly difficult"

To which they replied, "OK, well we'll just charge you the 99 dollar diagnostic fee since we had your car for two days, we thought it was the EGR but we went deeper and found it was the heater core. I asked the tech he said the EGR isn't connected to the heater core"

:rolleyes:

Needless to say I called VWoA again....

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I wonder why the heater core is clogging after the fix?