Heat Only on Driver Side - clogged heater core

Not_Agn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Se TDI
Best advice I can give is to get a meat thermometer and get actual reading @full operating temp traveling down the highway. Mine tested fine in the parking lot/shop. But going down the road it was only 90 degrees on passenger side vents at full heat. 175-180 drivers side.

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
phat02jetta,
Did you just call VW Corp and ask them to help pay for the heater core? I assume since you are out of warranty they must have agreed to pay for this issue. This is interesting to me because they were EXTREMELY difficult to work with during my turbo explosion.

phat02jetta

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black - Passat, 2013, Black
phat02jetta,
Did you just call VW Corp and ask them to help pay for the heater core? I assume since you are out of warranty they must have agreed to pay for this issue. This is interesting to me because they were EXTREMELY difficult to work with during my turbo explosion.
Yes, I called VW corporate, and explained the situation. The response was "You're out of warranty, what do you want us to do about it?". After a bit more discussion it was escalated and the next person was much nicer and very helpful.

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
I'll be getting my core back so ill cut it in half. I'm gonna call VW corp and complain about it going bad however I HIGHLY doubt at 103,000 they will help....Best case is maybe it will spark a recall

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'll be getting my core back so ill cut it in half. I'm gonna call VW corp and complain about it going bad however I HIGHLY doubt at 103,000 they will help....Best case is maybe it will spark a recall
Thank you! Please post detailed pictures of the internal clogging. If you don't have the time or means to cut it open, mail it to me and I'll do it. I'll even pay for shipping.

tyrntlzrdking

Banned
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Took my car in today for no heat on passenger side floor issue.

They replaced the heater core which was clogged. I assumed the problem was solved, only to find I still have no air blowing on passenger side floor.

Should the air be blowing out of the five holes below glove compartment? Are those the vents? I feel no air blowing anywhere on that side. Back tomorrow. :mad:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yeah you should have air there when it is set to floor. Sounds like a stuck damper - perhaps they didn't get something hooked up when they had the dash apart for the core replacement.

tyrntlzrdking

Banned
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Yeah you should have air there when it is set to floor. Sounds like a stuck damper - perhaps they didn't get something hooked up when they had the dash apart for the core replacement.
Now told I need a new air distribution box. On order.

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
VeeDubTDI

Send me your address and when I pickup the car tomorrow or Friday i'll mail you the parts. With how work looks coming up ill be lucky to sleep let alone have garage time to saw the core in half.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
VeeDubTDI

Send me your address and when I pickup the car tomorrow or Friday i'll mail you the parts. With how work looks coming up ill be lucky to sleep let alone have garage time to saw the core in half.
PM sent. I'll get it cut open and take some nice high resolutions of whatever we find inside.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Now told I need a new air distribution box. On order.
Amazing. It's probably some simple little thing, and they're going to replace the entire box. This is why VW service is so expensive - they replace an entire box of parts when a single part inside of it fails.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Amazing. It's probably some simple little thing, and they're going to replace the entire box. This is why VW service is so expensive - they replace an entire box of parts when a single part inside of it fails.
Or when their tech breaks it taking it apart. Thankfully he is still under warranty.

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Took my car in today for no heat on passenger side floor issue.

They replaced the heater core which was clogged. I assumed the problem was solved, only to find I still have no air blowing on passenger side floor.

Should the air be blowing out of the five holes below glove compartment? Are those the vents? I feel no air blowing anywhere on that side. Back tomorrow. :mad:
Next time they might want to try testing what they replace to see if it actually fixed the problem.

Still waiting on the heater core to be replaced in mine.

portablezombie

TDI
2011 Golf
Confirming another heater core issue on my 2011 Golf TDI. It started blowing cold air on the passenger side sometime in the autumn. the dealer is quoting me $800 to replace.

In addition, I have a problem with the heater only blowing cold air unless the manual control is cranked all the way to the highest setting. Literally one click cooler, and I get ice cold air.

Thank God for the heated seats or it would be a miserable two hour round trip commute every day.

A car that is less than four years old should not have all the problems I have with this car.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Damn. This morning, my 2014 NMS passenger-side footwell refused to heat above tepid, after 30minutes of running in 31 ambient temp, with the Climatronic set on HI. (We've not had enough cold weather to evaluate the heating capabilities)

Dealer is aware of the heater core issue. VWoA is requiring that they flush the cooling system first. I need to find out if they actually visually inspect the coolant that is flushed, or if it just goes into a previously used/soiled container.

I would be very happy if this issue is resolved by flushing, as opposed to R&R the heater core.

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Has anybody heard of any success with the flushing? I have a 2012 that is far out of warranty and there are no heater cores available anywhere. I will try the flushing if it seems that there is a chance of success.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Having it done at the dealer on Thursday. I'll post the results.

Still awaiting VeeDubTDIs planned heater core cutting. I don't think he's got it in hand yet. This should tell us something.

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
I am still waiting for the heater core replacement and have spent a good bit of time driving in the frigid weather at night so I have been experimenting to try to get any extra btu i can squeeze out of the vents. It seems if I put the control in recirculation mode and have the setting at halfway between defrost and feet the car heats up the best. You will probably have to peridically take it out of recirc mode to clear the fogging of the windows but it seems to keep the car marginally warmer this way.

Thought I'd share this in case somebody else is in the same predicament.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
I am still waiting for the heater core replacement and have spent a good bit of time driving in the frigid weather at night so I have been experimenting to try to get any extra btu i can squeeze out of the vents. It seems if I put the control in recirculation mode and have the setting at halfway between defrost and feet the car heats up the best. You will probably have to peridically take it out of recirc mode to clear the fogging of the windows but it seems to keep the car marginally warmer this way.

Thought I'd share this in case somebody else is in the same predicament.

Also try running the fan on lower setting, so its drawing less cold air.
This might help from overwhelming the electric heater.

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
"Doesn't the electric heater stop functioning after the car comes up to operating temp?"

You would think that it would, but there are enough other design flaws that it makes you scratch your head and wonder if VW got all the remedial class German engineers we hear such great things about.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Hehe, so true. There is a trigger to turn off the electric heat but I can't remember if it is an in dash sensor or engine temp sensor.

I do know that even with the heater core working, it can be more efficient if you run a slower airflow across it. Adding high flow of -20 air takes a lot of heat to warm it and actually is like running an extra radiator an makes engine warm slower. Sometimes less is more.:p

This works great in the summer down south if your car(especially old cars) starts to overheat, select hot and turn fan to high and it will help car from boiling over(of course you get a bit warmer inside the car):eek:

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
I do know that even with the heater core working, it can be more efficient if you run a slower airflow across it. Adding high flow of -20 air takes a lot of heat to warm it and actually is like running an extra radiator an makes engine warm slower. Sometimes less is more.:p

This works great in the summer down south if your car(especially old cars) starts to overheat, select hot and turn fan to high and it will help car from boiling over(of course you get a bit warmer inside the car):eek:
Since the air setting is on re-circ it should not be pulling in outside air to blow across the heater core (unless i misunderstand how they implement that). I suspect at least that part is working because of the windows fogging up before too long. and yes, any fan setting above 3 seems to be to fast, it appears warmer at fan speed of 3.

I have used the trick you mention in summer to avoid overheating one of my old vehicles....looks like it wouldn't work with the blocked heater core in this vw though since it isn't allowing coolant flow through it.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Sorry, I missed you were on recirc, that helps warm much faster but fogging is usually just a matter of time.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Doesn't the electric heater stop functioning after the car comes up to operating temp?
The electric heater turns off once the coolant temperature reaches ~170F. That can take a while when it's this cold out... it'll still be running by the time I finish my 8 mile drive to work. Reducing the fan speed or the temperature setting below a certain point will also turn it off.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Damn again. New heater core for me. I've asked the tech (Autobahn VW, Ft. Worth) to make a good side-by-side comparison of the OEM "A" compared to the OEM replacement "B" version, to see if there are any obvious differences in tubing diameter.
I will also ask WHICH coolant they'll put back in, for future reference.
As expected, they will NOT allow the core to be cut open for inspection.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Not sure how the tubes are laid out, but can they peak in the inlet/outlet with bore scope and see if it's debris or sludge or design issue?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Herkguy: I've asked for that as well, but we all know the drill. Any manufacturer can get pretty tight-lipped and secretive about warranty repairs, etc., especially since they know I'm an active member of the dreaded TDIClub!!!