Getting ready to pull the trigger

Dantrona

TDI
2012 CW Golf
Hey everyone, getting ready to get a '11 Jetta TDI w/ Nav in Candy White. I was curious what accessories you would suggest I get straight away. I think I want some Monster Mats unless you have a better suggestion.

Thanks for the help.

wreck111

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Porsche 991S 2014 2011 A3 TDI
I would by the Golf, more fun and made in Germany. Plus you can get xenons and paddle shifters. Also better rear end, and we all know rear ends are important!

wreck111

Veteran Member
TDI
Drive both real hard and look at fit and finish. Mexican made vs German. The Golf is as close to an Audi as you can get. The Jetta close to a Corolla.. Sorry, here comes the flames..Hope I did not hurt anyones feelings. I like the looks of the Jetta Wagon better than the Golf but got the Golf because of the way it drove and how the seats felt.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I don't think the new Jetta has much of anything in common with a Corolla. The new Jetta is a very sharp looking car and is still German engineered. The quality standards employed at the plant in Mexico are the same as the standards at the German assembly plants. The inspection and testing is also the same.

wreck111

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think the new Jetta has much of anything in common with a Corolla. The new Jetta is a very sharp looking car and is still German engineered. The quality standards employed at the plant in Mexico are the same as the standards at the German assembly plants. The inspection and testing is also the same.
Front glass is insulated in the golf also the trim around the Golf for the window sealing is better as well as the soft touch dash and independent rear. Brakes are better on the TDI vs 2.5 golf. Quality wise, no way Golf. The Germans know detail, in Mexico the tequila gets to them. Yes German standards but second would construction and labor. Just wait on the new Passat. The Golf is VW's leader in Europe not the Jetta. The Jetta is for American's not to say it's not a nice car but Fit, finish is better in the Golf. Even the gauges are different in the Golf.. Sorry but my thoughts. I even think the TDI Golf drives better than my A3 or at least the seat feel better. Either way they all break in time.

Ichance405

TDI
2012 tdi GOLF 2009 silverado 1500 6.0
sure glad i got a golf after reading this! i was debating between a a3 and a golf.. i had no idea the jetta is made in mexico

Dantrona

TDI
2012 CW Golf
They are on the TDI Golf with DSC...
Still not seeing them, on the 3 or 5 door golf with the DSGs. My step-dad has a MKIV r32 so it will be a little awkward to roll up in the TDI golf. Back on topic though, What sort of accessories should I get?

The67beast

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi w/ nav
To answer your question and not try and sway you to another car...

I have the monster mats / protection package. Splash guard & monster mats and the trunk liner.

It was on my car when I bought it. Love the monster mats. Super easy to clean and catches a ton of junk/dirt etc

I changed all my interior lights to led as well.

If you want to alt some of the functions of the car you can do
So. Just search our vcds or vag com for ideas of what you can do.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.187643,-75.982257

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Drive both real hard and look at fit and finish. Mexican made vs German. The Golf is as close to an Audi as you can get. The Jetta close to a Corolla.. Sorry, here comes the flames..Hope I did not hurt anyones feelings. I like the looks of the Jetta Wagon better than the Golf but got the Golf because of the way it drove and how the seats felt.
Here we go again...tell me how you can tell its made in germany or mexico exactly?....Aside from germany made golfs have a 9 percent mark up, Plus golfs arent made in germany they are assembled in germany and all the parts are still made in all the same places as the jetta parts are....Oh and guess what the robotic machines that assemble your golfs in germany are the same machines building jettas in mexico....You really think that beeing assembled in mexico makes that much of a difference? REALLY? because they sell the mexican assembled jettas in germany and around the world so before you go making crap up try thinking about it there is no need for comments like that and if you want to start crap that has no point or reason go over to vortex

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Front glass is insulated in the golf also the trim around the Golf for the window sealing is better as well as the soft touch dash and independent rear. Brakes are better on the TDI vs 2.5 golf. Quality wise, no way Golf. The Germans know detail, in Mexico the tequila gets to them. Yes German standards but second would construction and labor. Just wait on the new Passat. The Golf is VW's leader in Europe not the Jetta. The Jetta is for American's not to say it's not a nice car but Fit, finish is better in the Golf. Even the gauges are different in the Golf.. Sorry but my thoughts. I even think the TDI Golf drives better than my A3 or at least the seat feel better. Either way they all break in time.
I think suggesting that the Golf sells more in Europe than the Jetta just because of where each car is built is over simplifying it - too put it nicely. Here is a list of the 10 best sellers in Europe for 2011.

1. Volkswagen Golf
2. Ford Fiesta
3. Opel/Vauxhall Corsa
4. Volkswagen Polo
5. Ford Focus
6. Opel/Vauxhall Astra
7. Renault Clio
8. Peugeot 207
9. Renault Megane
10. Volkswagen Passat

We could play a little game - one of these things is not like the other. Europeans love their hatchbacks - every car on that list but the Passat can be had in a hatch. (Pretty sweet that that Passat made the list (not at all like the US/China market Passats))If you look at past years the trend continues with hatchbacks. I think that says more than where the car is built.

A Golf/JSW is not for everyone. When we purchased our Jetta we looked at the JSW - but thought the rear seat room wasn't enough. At the time we were expecting a baby and wanted to be sure that either my wife or myself would be comfortable in the back seat without having to push the front passenger seat all the way up. Also possibly making a front seat occupant uncomfortable. It is amazing what an extra three inches of legroom gives you in the Jetta sedan. We came from a Volvo V70 (wagon) and I do miss having a wagon but that will be my next purchase. :) Do I regret getting the Jetta sedan? Not at all and would do it over again in a heartbeat - wouldn't think twice. I am hoping to get the JSW in addition to the sedan.

Going back to the build quality of Germany vs Mexico - the whole thing is getting old. I remember my mom's 2000 New Beetle - made in Mexico. It was a great little car and had only one issue - it was the 2.slow engine but at least it was a 5-speed! Build quality was fine, might say it was great - even compared to our MBs. The older Jetta sedans also have great build quality and they also came out of Mexico. And saying that the plant in Puebla, Mexico does second world construction and has second world labor is racist - not even borderline - just racist and a pointless thing to say.

And finally my last point - why come into the Jetta section and tell a prospective buyer they should not even consider a Jetta and go for the Golf? I haven't read any threads in the MkVI Golf section where us Jetta guys tell them not to buy a Golf. Sure if you want to argue the better interior material (soft dash - hahaha - I like to kid that my '67 Fairlane has a soft dash - but I still don't stroke it), but really it is "to each their own!". One car will suit someone better than it would have suited you.

So to the OP - just get what you like the most. Either way, I think and hope that you will enjoy the new ride - whatever you choose.

Last edited:

kevlartdi

TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
I think the Golf is a GREAT-looking car and I would love to have one. However, it's impractical for what we needed. My wife is a massage therapist and often carries her table and the kids at the same time. Have you seen the trunk on the Jetta? Nicky Santoro wiuld give it two-thumbs up! As cool as the Golf is, it's just not a good fit for us and we just could not afford a Passat but also wanted brand new.

Dantrona

TDI
2012 CW Golf
Seems like Kevlartdi is in the exact same position as I am. I just like the looks of the Jetta a bit better than the golf.

deucelee

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI 6MT ___ Plat Gray on Black
ditto, love the way the jetta looks.

i didn't go with the monster mats, i went with weathertech's digital fit mats and love them.

if u got the manual i'd say get dieselgeek's short shifter. i'd get their panzar plate too.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
IAnd saying that the plant in Puebla, Mexico does second world construction and has second world labor is racist - not even borderline - just racist and a pointless thing to say.
Yeah, and Chinese products are perfectly equal, too. If one suggests otherwise, one is racist, eh?

Sometimes people get what they pay for. When people buy a car full of Chinese parts that's assembled in Mexico, sometimes they end up with what they paid for.

This isn't about race. This is about economics. Sometimes workers do a better job when they're paid better, working in better conditions, and regulations for production are stronger. I am not specifically addressing VW's Mexican plant. But, the vast number of substandard products that come from China support my point.

As for the Beetle, my sister has one and it's not a very good car. The front window glass is cheap and distorted. It has engine problems. Et cetera. And, as for Europe, I've known many young Austrian university students and many of them are too much into drinking, smoking, and not getting adequate sleep. So, a lot will come down to how well a factory is run and how carefully parts are created in line with design specs. Sometimes, though, corners will be cut in an effort to make things "cheaper". Sometimes that cheapness costs more in the long-run.

Last edited:

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Well maybe I shouldn't have said racist - *maybe calling it an ignorant remark would have been a better. Keep in mind that I didn't call anyone racist, but what they said was - at least that's how it came off to me. *I don't think it is appropriate to call the Mexican workers in VW's factory second world laborers doing second rate work. Like someone before said, most of the work is done by robots anyways.

Products made in China - some are great and some are inferior just like anything made anywhere on this globe. Is it the skill of the worker? Trying to make too many parts during shift? *Materials used for a part? *Not all parts or merchandise made in China is bad - I mostly fear what materials went into that product but that could be the media fueling it. I understand the economics of pooling things from around the world to make the most profit.

Sometimes people get what they pay for. When people buy a car full of Chinese parts that's assembled in Mexico, sometimes they end up with what they paid for.
Was that referring to VW's plant and the cars built there? *Later on you said you weren't talking about the plant, but couldn't decipher if that was for something else as it was a different paragraph. *Parts content of Jetta according to window sticker 9% USA/Canada, 40% Mexico, 20% Germany and the other 31% is from who knows where - google might know. I tried doing a quick search and didn't find much.

Why didn't your sister get the front windshield replaced? Maybe she tried and had no luck at the dealer and that's a shame *I read that a member on here had a distorted windshield and got it fixed under warranty. Same thing with the engine, that part was probably made in Germany (just a guess). Not sure if the Mexican plant has a casting plant for engines. As with any mass-produced item there will be a percentage of issues no matter where it's made.*

So far my car has been excellent, build quality is great - I know others can't say the same. What has also been said is that any forum following a certain make or model is skewed when it comes to problems - seems like the percentage of issues is sky high compared to the amount of cars produced. When every thing is working fine no one writes about it - but when anything goes wrong, big or small, they all hop on google (myself included) do a search and find a forum that has seen the same issue.

Sorry to the OP for going so far off-topic - the post I had initially replied to just struck a nerve with me - it would have even if I owned a Golf.