MN Chat Thread

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I was thinking closer to $3000. I'll cost me another $2000 on top of that for the full billet 47rh, manual valve body, converter

I'm not sure how many miles I have on this trans. maybe 15,000-ish.

4x4 app too. So depending on your truck it may need the output shaft changed.

And my time frame was closer to February to do any swaps.

If I do the swap tho, the truck's going to be another whole level of freaking fast. :) 11's! :)
Chevy with a cummins swap. 5th gear went out on the NV4500, and was contemplating the swap to the 5600, but now I think I might just stick with the 4500 for now. Easy bolt in replacement. Would need a bunch of parts along with the 5600 to get it in there.

Sorry to fill this with non-tdi stuff haha

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Chevy with a cummins swap. 5th gear went out on the NV4500, and was contemplating the swap to the 5600, but now I think I might just stick with the 4500 for now. Easy bolt in replacement. Would need a bunch of parts along with the 5600 to get it in there.

Sorry to fill this with non-tdi stuff haha
Zumbrota gear in Zumbrota,mn. Get a quote and I may be able to help you get a better deal with a few contacts I have.

TurboM700

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
Ford

Zumbrota gear in Zumbrota,mn. Get a quote and I may be able to help you get a better deal with a few contacts I have.
Does this work for ZF6 for Fords. I'm wanting to convert mine over to a 6sp as all I do with it is tow and I hate Autos and I really don't want to sink a 4 grand auto into it also.

I also apologize for those who thought I was coming to the GTG. I had a car come in Saturday that need my attention and I had Turkey day number 2 that night. I sound like a good time and hopefully I can make the next one.

Mike

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
It is looking right now like next Saturday will be round two. Isonic's clutch and maybe Jon can get his done.
December 4th will be the day. Anyone is welcome to come.
If I get my parts early, I'm going to start with the rear main seal and see how far I get by myself. I'm feeling pretty confident that at this time next week I'll be driving mine:)

Jon

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Does this work for ZF6 for Fords. I'm wanting to convert mine over to a 6sp as all I do with it is tow and I hate Autos and I really don't want to sink a 4 grand auto into it also.

I also apologize for those who thought I was coming to the GTG. I had a car come in Saturday that need my attention and I had Turkey day number 2 that night. I sound like a good time and hopefully I can make the next one.

Mike
i believe they do the ZF as well

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Starting Question

Question for you guys. I have noticed that my Jetta will start right up if it has been sitting out in the cold. Glow plug light stays on for a bit and off we go. However, if I leave it in the garage (heated) it takes a few tries before she starts, not to mention the clouds of gray smoke... The glow plug light just stays on for a few seconds..
Is there a way to adjust the temp that the glow plugs operate at, or should I be looking elsewhere? :confused:
Thanks!

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
Question for you guys. I have noticed that my Jetta will start right up if it has been sitting out in the cold. Glow plug light stays on for a bit and off we go. However, if I leave it in the garage (heated) it takes a few tries before she starts, not to mention the clouds of gray smoke... The glow plug light just stays on for a few seconds..
Is there a way to adjust the temp that the glow plugs operate at, or should I be looking elsewhere? :confused:
Thanks!
Is it possible that your intake is clogged up? I.E. The times when the glow plugs fire it warms the cylinders up enough to fire right away, but the times when it is not using the glow plugs the cylinders aren't quite as warm and has a hard time sucking enough air (due to the clogged intake) long enough to fire the engine? I know my intake is getting bad and I smoke a lot more when I start up than I used to. I am also noticing that it stutters a little on start up and it never used to do that. - Just a guess though.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Thanks!
I know on a ALH which is 1999.5-2003 that this VCDS trick works:

1. Open engine controller
2. Log in using 12233
3. Adaptation Group 12
4. Change 32768 to 32700

This alters the temperature that the glow plugs turn on, which in turn lengthens all the glow plug on times.

IIRC this was method was developed by Wingnut.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Thanks Guys, I cleaned the manifold less than 10k miles ago, and used Farm Boys computer to adjust the egr closed. I have the AHU engine.... got me scratching my noggin on this one...
I also have replaced all of the vacuum lines including the one in the ECU.

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
Jon, We'll see you 8 AM Saturday. Between Chris and I, I think we have everything to knock out my clutch. Of course we will help with yours as well.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Jon, We'll see you 8 AM Saturday. Between Chris and I, I think we have everything to knock out my clutch. Of course we will help with yours as well.
Sounds good! Hopefully a few others brave the messy roads that are forecasted.

I will attempt to clear the snow from my driveway by then.

Jon

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Sounds good! Hopefully a few others brave the messy roads that are forecasted.
I will attempt to clear the snow from my driveway by then.
Jon
I'll be watching the weather. I'll have to make my call on the trip on Sat morning.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I'll be watching the weather. I'll have to make my call on the trip on Sat morning.
Snow tires snow tires snow tires! Wurdle would make this big. But they are great to have on your car as it is better than all wheel drive for stopping and not sliding. Of course with all wheel drive and snow tires you could do anything.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Snow tires snow tires snow tires! Wurdle would make this big. But they are great to have on your car as it is better than all wheel drive for stopping and not sliding. Of course with all wheel drive and snow tires you could do anything.
I've got my Blizzaks on now. I've got bigger ones for my Dodge & chains for all four to boot but I still don't like driving on ice.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta

I've been having plenty of fun with the 4motion this past week ;)
Who needs to stop when you can stomp on the gas and go around any obstacle?

My pilot bearing is not coming out(I tried), I'm re-using it, wish me luck!
Rear main seal is installed.

Jon

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yes, I tried the grease trick, I made a delrin tool that is .005" under the input shaft on the tranny and hammered on it for about 10 minutes.
I haven't tried a blind hole puller - not a cheap tool.

Jon

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Call O'Reilly or Autozone, they might have a loaner tool. I have a cheap puller from Harbor Freight, but unfortunately won't be able to make it down there.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I think it would work okay on a pilot bearing, though I've never tried it for that. I used mine to try and remove the selector shaft bearing on the top of the trans, but failed for reasons other than the tool I think.

I'd be glad to let you try it, but I am busy all weekend.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Jfettig, I hope to stop by sometime after lunch, brining my son to see Santa in the morning :)
Having such a close GTG is nice, sucks I wasn't able to make it last weekend.
See everyone tomorrow.

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
Want to thank Curious Chris and JFettig for all their help yesterday. It was a marathon but we got my clutch done yesterday (early this morning).

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Well, The timing advance didn't fix the hard starts. however, even more glow plug time did.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=123304

I moved that to 32650 with coolant temp at -0.9C in the garage. fired right up and idled perfectly.. so I re-adjusted it to 32700 and we'll see how a non-block heated start does in the morning and go from there.

And I figured out that 195/65/15's are stock wheels. I have 195/60/15's. I gota see if the ECU was corrected (most likely not) and figure out how much my MPG really is ;-)

Also, I have yet to figure out exactly how I'm going to adjust that stop screw with out removing the turbo. I think it's worth the effort now.

Last edited:

TurboM700

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
OK need a little help.

Just got done running to the store and put the Golf in the garage. Got out and the cooling fan was on. Waited about 5 mins to see if it would shut it self off and it didnt so I unplugged it. The coolant temp on the dash was reading about 170 and lately this car has been taking for ever to warm up even when driving.

For instance I drove down to my parents house Friday in the middle of the snow storm which is 6.5 miles of all 40mph/stop and go roads. It still wasn't complete warmed up then.

I also noticed the other day while wait at the stop light that the car actually cooled down from its normal 180 to 140.

Any ideas on what would cause this? Relay? Coolant Temp Sensor?

Any common issues with these doing this?

I'm going to be doing a t-stat soon on it but I don't see this causing the cooling fan to stick on.

Its unplugged for now as I dont see the car needed in when the high for the next week is under 20.

Thanks
MIke