www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old October 14th, 2018, 22:00   #16
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

That is understood but makes no difference to a customer, as the dealer is essentially the face of VW to them. A customer never sees VW only the dealer. It means little to the customer with a legitimate claim to be told VW won't approve of the fix. VW puts the dealer and the customer in a bad position when they do this. It isn't just VW either as all dealers do this to some extent.
Old October 15th, 2018, 04:49   #17
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
So your dealing with one local dealer and having to return twice, you determine from your one dealer experience with them, most are bad? That is a pretty broad brush you are painting with there. You even admit that there are dealers 50-60 miles away that you have had "great success" with, yet most are bad. From your example at least 2 are good and one local is bad. That is 2/3 good or mostly good.

Sure, but your statement was "Not everyone's dealer sucks." that implies an owners local dealer, I have one local dealer IE the dealer closet to where I live. Now if you said "Not all dealers suck", I'd prob agree with you

The memory of a sour experience does outweigh previous service that was adequate. Dealer bashing is not a new past time for VW owners, sorry for perpetuating the sigma.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 04:55   #18
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
That is understood but makes no difference to a customer, as the dealer is essentially the face of VW to them. A customer never sees VW only the dealer. It means little to the customer with a legitimate claim to be told VW won't approve of the fix. VW puts the dealer and the customer in a bad position when they do this. It isn't just VW either as all dealers do this to some extent.

But the same could be said that the service techs feeds GFF, if they give GFF bad input, it could be chasing down the wrong rabbit hole. This is more for something that doesn't toss a code. Agreed once a code is popped up the dealers hands are tied to GFF. How many EGR filters have been replaced due to VWoA not identifying cracked DPF as the true cause?

Mk7 GSW have a rash of leaking pano roofs for example (bunch of '18 have water stains sitting on dealer lots unsold!). There are 3-4 failure modes, many dealers only look for one issue say they "fix it" but overlook the other potential 3 other failure modes and bam! next rain storm customer is back at the dealer complaining of a sieve of car that has sub 2K miles on it.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 12:43   #19
Demo3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_h View Post
Iíd like to chime in as a former vw dealer technician. When it comes to warranty, techs and dealers are often limited by vw policies and procedures. Sometimes we canít do what we think we need to, because if we do, warranty will decline payment of the claim and then the dealers and techs would be screwed out of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the techs position... I am a tech also but not on cars. I am pretty sure it is the failing part and not the installation. If it were up to me I would just install the valve and apply a little super glue around the area that leaks... let it seep in. I know the tech can't do that because when the part gets turned back in there would be hell to pay. The engineers don't like techs fixing things, that's how they protect there jobs.
Old October 15th, 2018, 12:51   #20
tdiinsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_h View Post
I’d like to chime in as a former vw dealer technician. When it comes to warranty, techs and dealers are often limited by vw policies and procedures. Sometimes we can’t do what we think we need to, because if we do, warranty will decline payment of the claim and then the dealers and techs would be screwed out of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep this is what our salesman told us. They've had many people schedule warranty work and dealer ordered parts only to have the folks not show up. The dealer cant get reimbursed if they never installed the parts.
tdiinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2018, 06:54   #21
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Part of the reason they take your car in and then tell you they have to wait a week for the parts to come in. Prevents no shows but causes other unhappiness.
Old October 17th, 2018, 07:33   #22
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

There are now 4 dealers in the Charlotte area. One I have no experience with. The other 3 have all had at least one failing on service over the last 18 years I've been driving VW tdis. Some minor, like putting the wrong new tire on to replace a blown one. Some were major, like not telling me that I was already eating into the rear disks on my beetle at 25k miles when I had it in for an oil change and state safety inspection. Oh, and the oil change included a tire rotation. The dealer got bought out and relocated, which is where I've done most of my service since 2010. With all that went on when we had the jsw fixed, I will probably not go back there. No so much the extra $3000 of work but more the attitude. "You don't need to worry about how much this is going to cost because VW is giving you $5000"