Kwik Trip Diesel Info

GearGuy2014

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I just recently filled up at a Kwik Trip on my way back from Northern Wisconsin and I saw that they offered a Premium Diesel. Curiosity got to me and I submitted an inquiry on their website, within a few days a gentlemen from their Corporate location contacted me and shared a ton of info on their diesel that I thought folks might find interesting.

Currently Kwik Trip is 100% Diesel (no bio) in Wisconsin, besides for Mauston, La Crosse, and Sparta. Shortly however they will be going to a Bio % but from the sounds of it just for their #2 Diesel, the Premium would likely stay Bio-Free. It also sounded like in Iowa and Minnesota they are mandated to be B20 (or atleast some Bio %)

Bio Free can contain upto B5 and still be considered Bio-Free. So I had been filling up at Caseys which states Bio Free but it could be upto 5%.

As most IL folks know its hard to find a low Bio Content. This is because Illinois waives fuel tax on diesel containing upto B20. It also sets a minimum Bio content to use that tax at B11.

The Premium Kwik Trip Diesel ranges between 42-46 Cetane.

In Winter (After Oct 1st) - KT sells a Winterized Diesel which is #2 + Winter Additive. As it gets colder they will mix in #1 to keep it free flowing but that % would never get over 20%.

Anyways I was really impressed as this is the first time I heard anything back from a fuel company and I wanted to pass that info along to fellow TDI members.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star has always impressed me with their fuel quality and knowledge (at the corporate level - the people in the stores, not so much). Depending on where you're at, much of their fuel comes from Flint Hills Refinery in Minnesota.

The winter blends also vary depending on your location - some run a mix like you mention, others run the "Gold" winter diesel which is all additized, not blended, and others allow you to blend your own #1/#2.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I buy from Kwik Trip, Mills Fleet Farm, Sam's Club, Holiday or SuperAmerica -- rarely from others but I make exceptions if the price is right.

I wish I could say that one is noticeably better than the others. Maybe Fleet Farm, but if there's a difference then it's really too close to measure.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I buy from Kwik Trip & Mills Fleet & Farm, here both get their fuel from the Flint Hills Refinery so it is just a matter which one has the better price.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
dyed diesel

I tanked up at Platte City Oil just North of MCI (the airport North of Kansas City). I'm more than 100 miles into it and I'm getting expected distance based on fuel level (about an eight down now).

I used a large bore pump, but that was OK at moderate speeds. Filled quickly.

I noticed a pump in the next island that had a sign on it "red dyed diesel"

Is this just taxed differently (agricultural use)?

Does red dyed diesel have the ultra low sulfur compliance?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Red fuel is untaxed road fuel... sometimes off-road diesel as it's called.
At one point it was allowed to have more sulphur, but generally it is pumped out if the same tank...just taxed different. At many truck stops, you can pump red fuel for the reefer unit, then push a button, and go to taxed road fuel for the tractor...the dye is often added at the PUMP. Some have separate pumps and storage tanks, depending on the pump types.
Fines are huge if caught with red fuel in your tanks on the road, and discussions of it are (I'm pretty sure) banned on this site as an illegal activity.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
After having a fuel system get trashed in my Cummins due to a bad batch of diesel I asked the State of Wisconsin tank inspection guy what fuel suggests. He was careful to respond so as to prevent the impression of an endorsement, but he did say the only fuel he uses is BP. They have certainly had their share of PR issues over the years, but the products are solid. He said he will also use Kwik Trip, Fleet Farm, and Speedway. According to him the cetane levels are always higher. He added that the names you think of that usually suggest a better product (IE Mobil, Shell, Citgo, etc) are closer to the minimum level of 40. No matter what fuel I fill up with I add a dose of diesel treatment to increase lubricity, etc.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I asked the State of Wisconsin tank inspection guy what fuel suggests.
Hey, all info is good, my only question here is what does a "Tank Inspection Guy" know about cetane? He just inspects the tanks to make sure the tanks are in compliance not the fuel in them. Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Do you have Cenex available in your area? Has always produced good results for me on trips outside my usual haunts.
I have always wanted to have Cenex Roadmaster fuel within normal driving distance to me but it is always in rural areas and a 50 to 80-mile drive is just not practical. If I am in a rural community that has a Cenex Coop I take advantage and fuel up but unfortunately, it does not happen often enough to make an educated judgment about the fuel. On paper, the stuff looks great!

Last edited:

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Hey, all info is good, my only question here is what does a "Tank Inspection Guy" know about cetane? He just inspects the tanks to make sure the tanks are in compliance not the fuel in them. Or am I missing something?
I only asked for his opinion not a professional recommendation. Any number of factors could influence his reply. He spoke about cetane and additive levels right off the bat. Made me have a bit more confidence in his response than the station attendant that will only give you a "deer in the headlights" look when you ask about it.

Have a nice day.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I have always wanted to have Cenex Roadmaster fuel within normal driving distance to me but it is always in rural areas and a 50 to 80-mile drive is just not practical.
Ditto. My ALH loves the stuff so I fill with it when I can, but that's rarely practical. Maybe this weekend (out in Hutchinson; gotta see if there's a Cenex on the way). The Flint Hills stuff is a good stand-in, but IMHO Roadmaster is the stuff...

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Ditto. My ALH loves the stuff so I fill with it when I can, but that's rarely practical. Maybe this weekend (out in Hutchinson; gotta see if there's a Cenex on the way). The Flint Hills stuff is a good stand-in, but IMHO Roadmaster is the stuff...

Is that Hutchinson KS ? I grew up out there...

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
There is a Cenex on 169 in Belle plain that I will get roadmaster at when I am in the area. I will go to kwik trip/fleet farm if that is not available as they get the fuel from the same place as far as I know. I avoid truck stops, but also avoid stations with low use. I always add ps diesel kleen anyways

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
At least in Iowa (or when I lived there about 30 years back), NC, and SC, the tank inspection guy is also the one pulling samples for testing. Some state vehicles have a testing lab in the back. You really don't need much, just a flash cup, a hygrometer, and a GC should do it. Takes up about as much room as a medium sized suitcase. If you can test at the source, you don't have to haul all those samples back to a lab and you can also shut the station down if there's a major issue. Like gas in the diesel.

javijavit

TDI
Touareg
I saw this thread a thought I should ask. I have been using kwik trip for a while now and I know that the Verona, WI store now has a bioblended diesel. However it is clearly labeled and next to it is the premium option which is not a bio blend.

However I was running low on fuel and stopped at the Monona, WI store on the corner of Broadway st and the pump just said a #2. No signs of being biodiesel or anything. So I filled up. I got curious because the pump did not have the typical ULSD label on it and just had a "#2". Aren't they supposed by federal regulations to indicate the ULSD? Searching online for Diesel #2 it says it is 500ppm diesel, LSD. Do they sell LSD instead of ULSD??? I filled my Touareg with it. Should I be concerned?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

javijavit

TDI
Touareg
Well guys, I guess I answered my question looking a bit more. Seems like the #2 is a carryover from the old days when #2 was LSD but now if its sold for road use its ULSD when it says #2. In any case, do be careful when filling up at the kwik trip stores that carry the biodiesel. They apparently only sell the biodiesel or the premium diesel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I run Cenex Roadmaster XL it contains bio. I love bio. Also i use Kwik Trip that has semi fueling islands cause of high turnover of fuel and its bio.

moon1234

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI DSG
I run Cenex Roadmaster XL it contains bio. I love bio. Also i use Kwik Trip that has semi fueling islands cause of high turnover of fuel and its bio.

Wanted to correct this. I called Cenex corporate and Roadmaster XL DOES NOT have any Bio in it. They have separate products called Roadmaster B2 and Roadmaster B5. Those have Bio in this indicated percentages. Normal Roadmaster Xl does NOT have any bio in it.

I also called the station in Middleton, WI and the one in Cottage Grove, WI and they both said there is no Bio in Roadmaster XL.

Promo for Cenex Roadmaster XL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUfHDTnvoUY

Also, I got a spec sheet back from Fleet Farm that says in Wisconsin their Diesel comes from Flint Hills - Pine Bend Refinery and is the "S15 Gold Diesel" product. No additives are mentioned. Lubricity is listed as 520 and Cetane of 42-45. There is no Bio added in Wisconsin. In MN there is 5% in winter and 10% in summer.

Last edited: