Turning in with a dead battery

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
My 2012's battery failed last month and my buy back appointment is in 10 days.
I'm using a nearly new Odyssey battery to get around but that goes in my 'fun' car.
Do you think I can turn it in with the OEM battery which runs but won't start the car?
Any ideas on a cheap new battery that will actually start the car? TIA.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Didn't work for me. Tried to turn in a T-reg with a flat battery. The process is now videotaped and they demanded that the car START and run under its own power, even though they couldn't show me that requirement in writing.

Here's what I would do. Speak to the person doing the turn in. Ask them if you can do the process with your good battery and then swap to the flat battery after the video process is complete. Explains that it works, just needs a jump to get going. The gal that did mine certainly would have allowed this, unfortunately the Treg battery is under the seat and a real PITA. I ended up spending $60 and put a new battery in it.

Good luck.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I am sure the requirement for cars to be able to start and run on their own came from the fact that dealers don't want to deal with cars that they have to boost every time they move them in their yard.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I am sure the requirement for cars to be able to start and run on their own came from the fact that dealers don't want to deal with cars that they have to boost every time they move them in their yard.
That's just it, there is NO written requirement that they be able to START on their own. Just operate...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Man some of the people here can really split some hairs. Look on CL for a used battery or find one somewhere for cheap, maybe a junkyard. Walmart has a new one for $40. It doesn't have to be the right one. Have you tried charging your old one for a day or two?

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Just clamp a jumper pack on under the hood before you pull in to the lot. Cheap, easy, done. They won't make you open the hood.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
You MUST start the car while being on video. Dead battery is a NO GO.

If you put a battery jumper box under the hood, the hood MUST close or they will ask the dealer rep to close it.

Just buy a used battery for $50 and call it a day.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Man some of the people here can really split some hairs. Look on CL for a used battery or find one somewhere for cheap, maybe a junkyard. Walmart has a new one for $40. It doesn't have to be the right one. Have you tried charging your old one for a day or two?
Yup, tried charging it and NG. The $40 option works for me, though.