P0102 fault code on Vag Com

jrip

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Blue, TOTALED, Jetta, 2002, Green
I have a 2002 Jetta TDI, and today I had the check engine light come on. So I came back to the house and hooked up my Vag-Com to see what codes are showing. P0102 is the only code showing. So I opened up the air filter box and the filter looked real dirty, so I replaced it. I also replaced all the 5MM vacuum lines I found. They looked pretty sad from the outside, but none seemed to be leaking. The MAF did not seem to be dirty, but without truly disassembling it I can't be sure. I cleared the code, and it came back immediately. It seems to start and run just fine. I took it out for a short run to check acceleration etc and it ran great. I'm at a loss. I know there are some other smaller vacuum lines that I did not replace because I don't have the right size vacuum line although they seemed to be fine. I have several questions. 1. What size are the smaller vacuum lines. 2. What size are the torx(safety) screws that fasten the actual MAF sensor to the housing? I have 15, 20, 25, 27, 30, and a couple more both larger and smaller sizes, but none of them seem to fit. My MAF is an original Bosch.

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Isn't the P0102 related to the EGR system? I have had this same check engine code pop up on my car for the past 8 months or so. Had the EGR filter cleaned but only made it go away for a while.

jrip

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I have it all fixed. I had another MAF that I had removed from a previous car when it had a MAF problem and I simply replaced the MAF. So I managed to open it with a small pair of vise grips since none of my safety torx drivers would fit. Once I got it opened I sprayed the hell out of it with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner several times. Letting it dry between each application. Put it back together, swapped it with the dirty one, cleared the code, and voila. Check engine light is not returning.

jrip

Veteran Member
TDI
Latest update. The check engine light did come back on and when I hooked up my Vag Com I got a P0101(implausible signal). So I took that MAF out and put the original MAF back in after cleaning it completely. Went for a drive and got the P0102 code again. Getting tired of messing with it, I bit the bullet and bought a new MAF from my local dealer. Have not had the problem since. Hate to say I knuckled under, but my frustration level is so much better now.