Muffler delete? or dpf delete and remap?

j4gg4

TDI
A3 2015
Has anyone here removed the rear silencer (backbox/muffler) and replaced it with just straight pipes?

If yes, has it made any extra grunt on acceleration?

If no, what do you recommend to remove/replace/do to release some extra grunt?.

I have been advised the following:

1. Removed rear silencer and replace with just pipes.
2. Gut the DPF and remap.

Obviously all costs quite a bit to do, and im opting towards the rear muffler delete more than anything at this moment in time. Thoughts?

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
In an era when engines are tightly controlled by computers controlling fuel injection pulse volume and timing along with turbo boost removing a portion of the exhaust system could cause a loss of power rather than an increase.

Reduction of back pressure would theoretically increase exhaust flow which could alter turbo boost and possibly confuse the ECM.

Would removal of exhaust parts violate federal emissions regulations and cause your car to fail the next mandated annual inspection?

I was a teenage hot rodder long ago. The first thing we did when we bought a car was add dual exhausts and free flow mufflers. I gave it up many years ago. Can't win a battle against the EPA.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I have the tune without any exhaust modifications and it's a big improvement. If you shift it into sport mode you won't have any issues pulling away from most vehicles. The Porsche Boxster trying to cut me off last night got left behind.