RNS315 vs. RNS510

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
What are the differences in these units. I see threads of people wanting to switch these things out.

My 2012 Golf w/ Tech has the RNS315 (I think), but what VWs have the RNS510?

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
In simple terms, the RNS315 is about the same as having a $100 portable nav unit + base factory radio...if that really as you probably still get more nav features in even the cheap portable units. RNS510 on the other hand is a more fully featured unit, which besides a larger screen and built in hard drive for music as well as nav data, has a good bit more functionality as well.

My thoughts on which way to go is this:

If all you want is a basic nav solution, pass on factory nav all together and just use a portable unit. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain (you can buy an entirely new portable GPS with money to spare vs the cost of just map updates alone on the factory units, nevermind just updating the maps alone on the portable), and will still probably net you some features you wont get with the 315. As far as convenience goes....throwing the portable up on the dash every now and then shouldnt be a big deal. I mean for most people, they dont need nav to tell them where to go each and every time the drive doing their daily routine, so it's not much of a hassle setting it up for the times you do need it.

If you do really want/need a good in dash unit....buy the car with the base audio, pick up an RNS510 off the internet, and do the swap. You probably could recoupe a few bucks selling the old radio as well. End result is you probably will spend pretty close to the same amount in the end, but have a much better unit for the little bit of work involved.

You already have the 315 so it's probably not worth messing with at all at this point, unless you happen to be able to sell it for good money. As for myself, I went with the first option. I have had factory nav in the last 2 cars, and between the cost, the frequency I actually need to use the nav, and the annoyance of having to clear the disclaimer every single time I started the car weather I was going to use the nav or not (I hear VW isnt like that or at least easily defeatable), I figured keeping a portable unit in the glove box I could pull out when needed was the best route to go.

Last edited:

Narcoleptic724

TDI
2011 4D UG Golf TDI DGS
I have little experience with the RNS315 other than playing around with it in the show room while waiting for service. But, the little time I spent with it turned me off. It has a small screen, weird controlls, low resolution, and limited functionality.

When I purchased my old 06 Jetta TDI Pkg 3, it has the old nav. After about two years dealing with that, I bought the RNS-510 and swapped them out. It was a good choice for me. It has better resoultion, larger screen, hard drive for music, better bluetooth functionality (on screen phone books and dial pad), can play DVD movies, and just performs better.

It should be mentioned that my car is like my office, and I have appointments throughout the day, sometimes 30-50 miles apart. So, an in dash nav is the best solution for me. It might not be for you. If you will only be casually using your nav, you're better off with a portable nav system that you can move from car to car and not have in the car when you don't need it (and save yourself $1,000+).

I was able to update the software / firmware on my older RNS 510 and now have the speed limits desplayed on screen and all the other newer features. When we bought my wife's Tiguan, they had two in our color choice: One with the big roof that looks like it will definately break, or, one without the roof, but with the RNS-510 (with back-up camera). We took the one with the RNS-510 and she loves it (along with the iPod functionality).

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't played too much with the RNS510, but the RNS315 isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. Yes, it has a small low-res screen which is probably its achilles heel but it does have a rather fast interface. I do wish that the US 315 unit came with HD Radio and Traffic which is something the Euro-spec version gets; not sure why VW decided to omit that from NA.

Apart from that, the RNS315 has been a decent performer for the price.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I haven't played too much with the RNS510, but the RNS315 isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. Yes, it has a small low-res screen which is probably its achilles heel but it does have a rather fast interface. I do wish that the US 315 unit came with HD Radio and Traffic which is something the Euro-spec version gets; not sure why VW decided to omit that from NA.

Apart from that, the RNS315 has been a decent performer for the price.
This is my first navagation (and Bluetooth system), besides using my mapquest app on my iPhone. I think the RNS315 unit is actually OK for what it is. Doesn't it have HD radio, because the song and artist playing appears on the screen?

I wish I had the 6 disk in-dash changer and the hard drive, but then again, I have the iPod in the car at all times (and the car comes with the MDI connector) and/or the music on my iphone (via bluetooth or MDI cable), Maybe the bigger screen might be nice, but to be able to play DVDs seems a little dangerous to me with all the distracted driving I see.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
This is my first navagation (and Bluetooth system), besides using my mapquest app on my iPhone. I think the RNS315 unit is actually OK for what it is. Doesn't it have HD radio, because the song and artist playing appears on the screen?

I wish I had the 6 disk in-dash changer and the hard drive, but then again, I have the iPod in the car at all times (and the car comes with the MDI connector) and/or the music on my iphone (via bluetooth or MDI cable), Maybe the bigger screen might be nice, but to be able to play DVDs seems a little dangerous to me with all the distracted driving I see.
Put it this way, the navigation, phone, and entertainment features in the RNS315 all do exactly what they're supposed to, and quite well might I add. I've used other factory nav and BT systems that didn't work quite as well. I've also used standalone GPS units with BT built in that has proven problematic. For example, I've used other systems where BT phone connectivity was flaky and intermittent. Sometimes my phone would connect, sync, and remain so and then other times would drop, freeze, or not even connect at all.

For a factory installed system, the RNS315 does what its supposed to at a cheaper price point than the RNS510. While I wished VW would have given us the option to choose, I don't feel too bad having gone with the RNS315. It's also integrated into the vehicle which I find more convenient than having an external GPS unit.

FWIW, I have a top of the line TomTom 2535 Go LIVE with HD Traffic. It's garbage compared to the VW system. As for traffic? I've found using my iPad and Google Maps with traffic to be far more accurate then relying on a built-in traffic avoidance system in factory or external navigation units.

CalAltaDubber

TDI
2012 Golf Wagen
My car came with the RNS 310. I wasn't particular since I have a TomTom GPS.In the end I am quite happy with the RNS 310. The nave works well, Blue tooth works well. as does the AM, FM and satellite radio. I haven't put a CD in it yet but have tried the iPod connector and MP3 external connection. I also don't use them much because I have my music loaded on an SD card in in the front panel.I don't see the need to play movies on it since you are supposed to pay attention to the traffic. The low res is OK for the same reason.The touch screen selections are great. So what's the problem?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have the RNS510. It is awesome and I love it for function and for appearance, but I think I would live without it if I moved to a newer Golf or GTI in the future. It is too bad VW removed it as an option after 2010 and also that it is even harder to swap with the bluetooth now integrated into the RNS315.

Just look at that pretty thing!