VA people----- anyone?

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
StevieDTDI said:
I live in Manassas Park, I filed up with B5 in leesburg for 2.89 last thursday.
Hey I'm in the Park, too, in the Belmont Station neighborhood! :eek: What color is your Jetta? My Beetle and Jetta have TDIClub plate frames and biodiesel stickers in the windows. :D

Wish I could've made IMPEX Fest, but end of grad school semester was just too busy.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I'm in Moyock but travel everyday to Norfolk, Chesapeake and Va Beach. If you ever need work in this neck of the woods I can recomend you to a dealer with reputable techs that are mod friendly or somebody that can do the work on the side that knows TDIs;)

BTW I saw diesel for $2.61 and $2.63 on route 460

Last edited:

buelldude

TDI
2011 TDI GOLF
?

that is getting back down where it should be!!!!!!! I'm glad these things get the mpg they do! I have to make a trip up north and its well over 3 a gal where I'm going.

SoMDTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE BRM/JCR
Quarters K

VT-TDI said:
Hello all,
02 TDI in Alexandria. However, I work in Germantown, MD. I've seen prices as low as 2.70 but this was at a Hess in Annandale, and it was garbage lol. I think I barely got 35 mpg with that junk in my car. I have been considering hitting up the BioDiesel at the station next to the Pentagon. Anyone ever tried it?

Also, I am always up for a GTG. I have just about finished troubleshooting/repairing everything on my car and would love to compare it to other stocks and vag-com it before I start upgrading.
I am on my 5th tank from the Quarters K gas station (next to the Pentagon and Arlington Cemetary). I have been getting between 37 - 42 mpg on my 06.5 Jetta on those tanks.

They are pumping B20. Unfortunately, the pump says 40 cetane.:( I have not noticed any problems when fueling there. My breaking in TDI (5330 mi.) seems to run fine on what they are pumping.:) This week they are up to $3.019.

Can't tell if it gives good/bad mileage because I frequently get stuck in very long backups for the Wilson Bridge.:(

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
SoMDTDI said:
Can't tell if it gives good/bad mileage because I frequently get stuck in very long backups for the Wilson Bridge.:(
Yeah, getting stuck in traffic kills the fuel economy :(. So is speeding, for that matter :eek:.

I was playing with VAG-COM the other day - I used it to log some data while I was driving, and then I started to play with the data when I got home. For my round-trip commute to work with no traffic delays, I can average 55mpg - at least according to the data from the ECU. On an actual tank I tend to get ~48 or so. Hard to say for sure, but I suspect that getting stuck in traffic is the killer.

The one thing that became crystal clear to me when I was playing with the thing is that if you take your foot off the go pedal and use the engine to slow you down, that the fuel consumed drops to zero. The engine is "running", but no fuel is being used. Contrast that to the usual way of stopping (push in the clutch and press the brake). You cannot do this sort of thing every time of course, but if you are 1/4 mile away from a red light, you can let off the go pedal and gradually slow down instead of waiting until you get closer and using the brake.

I am playing with a modified version of VagScope - adding extra dials to show things like an averaged fuel economy, a trip odometer, fuel consumed for the current trip, etc. Once I get a few more things ironed out, I might put it up somewhere that other people can play with it. I suppose I could have just bought a ScanGauge, but since I already have VagCom that seemed redundant.

No Exit

Veteran Member
Herndon, VA here

There's a Sunoco that just opened next to the Target on Sunset Hills off of the 7100 that has 40 cetane for $2.79. It's gotta be relatively fresh stuff cuz the place only opened up last month. I think it's technically in Reston, but close enough

TheDPR

TDI
2001 Beetle
Premium Diesel (45 cetane) is inching up in Wytheville. Currently at $2.539 at the truck stops. Still a quarter less than gasoline.

Crazy Jetta TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
know this thread is old but hah I am in VA too. In Colonial Beach which is near Fredericksburg. Are there any TDI M&G's that are local? I go to a few with my Charger and learn lots and would love to find out about some local ones for the tdi. ANYWAY hey to all VA!! BTW is there a good local trusted mechanic that does good work and doesn't try to rape you in the end? I am willing to drive a little ways to get a good job done btw.

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Springfield, over here!

How ever said a dead tread is a dead tread. Ok look at some of the first posts from 2007 fuel prices reported are so cheap. Gone re the days.

JPR

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS,2003,Alaska Green (son's now),GL 2003,white (mine), GLS 2003 wagon (daughter's now)
Virginia tdi folks

Just stumbled on this thread. I am located in Goochland County and work in the west end of Henrico county (drive I-64). I have been busy in the past month parting out our '01 tdi that my wife wrecked in late June (she is fine). Meanwhile I purchased another '03 as a replacement, but the car needs a lot of work (coolant migration and needs catch-up maintenance work), so I have swapped some parts into that car and am moving selected mods over too. I occasionally see other tdi drivers on I-64 so I would be happy to meet some local enthusiasts at an area GTG.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Shenandoah county here. Commute to DC twice a week.

Eric

Daekar

Veteran Member
In a Holler next to A Cow Field, Virginia, USA
TDI
White 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm over in Blacksburg, VA, and would be interested in a GTG... sounds like most of you guys are in NoVa or Richmond/Norfolk/etc. areas though, so it'll be a longer trip for me. Oh well, it's only a few more ounces of fuel! :D

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Blacksburg has lot of neat roads to tear up on... but VA troopers kow all of them. Still that is far coming from N. Springfield over here.

buelldude

TDI
2011 TDI GOLF
So this thread is a few years old but wanted to give it a kick in the butt. Who is still here?
As for me I have lost my 05 Golf tdi, it seems that a person down here in the HR area wanted to park his truck in my trunk. It is now gone but a new one is in its place. 2011 Golf 2dr tdi, nice car but I don't think that it will get the MPG's that the old one did. I hope it gets close. So how about the rest of the people in VA, whats new and do you still have the same car when you posted on here the first time?

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
I still am here in Springfield, VA. I have my money pit 2006 TDI jetta and just replaced the cams, clutch and a few other things... Now if I could just win the ottery so I can get a new suspension as I have some bad creeking going on in the front. Just got a new bumper as my old (OEM) has cracked from a truck tire and again need some money to get it painted. Its all about the money now. Pays long gone but maintaining her is expensive. But I do love my car.

Good for you on the new golf. My cousin helped designed parts on that car. He tells me to get a new VW once they are made in Tenn. and no sooner unless for Germany. I told him of all my problems and he assures me that VW is working hard to correct alot of build issues.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Still here in Shenandoah county. Getting ready to put a 6 speed in along with a few other items.......

Eric

buelldude

TDI
2011 TDI GOLF
has anyone ever did a VA TDI gathering? That would be cool.

my car did come from Germany, where else do they make them?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
has anyone ever did a VA TDI gathering? That would be cool.

my car did come from Germany, where else do they make them?

Mine was hand made in Osnabrück Germany and then asembled with the correct parts in Moyock NC.