question about aftermarket stereo install

olemiss36

TDI
03 Jetta
So I'm installing a double din radio and the steering wheel controls. I plan to run the power to that far left screw (yellow 75) for both. Is it ok to take the power wire from the radio and the steering wheel control interface and twist them together into one single ring connector? Or do i need to keep them separate and do two ring connectors?

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Question: Why with the power wire? If you're replacing a factory double-DIN HU (which is a CAN bus radio), AND you want to retain the steering wheel controls, then you NEED a CAN interface adapter.
AFAIK, none of those need a dedicated ignition power feed. They do provide an ignition power output, though (which is switched on/off depending on appropriate CAN signals.)

If you didn't care about (or didn't have) steering wheel controls, then, yes, you could just use a simple (wire only) adapter harness, and grab switched power at the 75X lug.

olemiss36

TDI
03 Jetta
thanks for the reply. i used the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 which required power. I ended up putting them both on the 75X and works just fine...couldnt quite get the radio to snap in at the bottom, oh well.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Hmm, there is a wire at the cluster that makes the A/M radio turn on and off just like factory. I always did it from there.

Jason

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
It's on the left-hand side of the steering column - can't remember exactly which one it is, though.
(Yeah, I know - big freakin' help I am, right?)

Just wanted to confirm that there is a good source for switched power on the steering column...and I'm sure I found the how-to here on TDIclub, so more search. :)

Last edited:

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
ive been searching off and on today. i dont know where 75x is. found some other forums and one mentioned fuse #25 as it is switch power. someone mentioned key sense but i really dont want to mess with that circuit. just a switch 12v power from something is good enough.

even yet i apparently have the rear cd changer harness but i dont have the changer in the car. anyone know if any of those wires are switch power?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The brown/red wire on the left side of the steering wheel harness. Pretty sure it's the one being pointed to.
(Be sure to verify with a voltmeter - should get +12V when turn key, and keep +12V when key is turned off, and then 0V when key is removed.)

I've done this on three cars - no issues. I just put a 3M T-tap connector on it, and it's worked fine. Can't remember if I used a relay inline with that, or if it doesn't draw much power and isn't necessary.

Last edited:

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
ive been searching off and on today. i dont know where 75x is.
On the relay plate (behind the dash, left side), there are several studs, each labelled with what power bus they're on.
even yet i apparently have the rear cd changer harness but i dont have the changer in the car. anyone know if any of those wires are switch power?
Nope - CD changer is on Terminal 30 ('always hot.')

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
i ended up tapping on 75x for the radio and radar detector. but i might move the radar to a constant cause it double boots when i turn the key on and crank. my batt drain that i had from a constant on radio ended lol.

SteelyTed

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 800mile club
The brown/red wire on the left side of the steering wheel harness. Pretty sure it's the one being pointed to.
(Be sure to verify with a voltmeter - should get +12V when turn key, and keep +12V when key is turned off, and then 0V when key is removed.)

I've done this on three cars - no issues. I just put a 3M T-tap connector on it, and it's worked fine. Can't remember if I used a relay inline with that, or if it doesn't draw much power and isn't necessary.

Thanks Nuje, just the bit of info I needed for my stereo install!