www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Closed Thread

Old April 27th, 2018, 13:42   #16
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Well how is the EPA supposed to regulate diesels away now?
Old April 27th, 2018, 23:06   #17
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Because now they can say ok, instead of the standard being 120mg/km, it is now 5mg/km.

Oh, you can't meet that standard? Too bad, so sad...
Old April 28th, 2018, 06:55   #18
soldierguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
All TDIs sold here since 1997 have had liquid cooled EGR. The newer engines employ some very complex cooling system circuits, dual thermostats, additional pumps, etc., to help both get the engine up to temp quickly as well as keep it there. But exhaust temp is very important too, and to pump coolant through the hot parts of the exhaust (as some hybrid gasoline cars do) would help keep the engine warm, but would be detrimental in their cooling effects on the exhaust components that need to be very hot in order to function properly.
Tangent coming....

Your mention of getting both engine and exhaust temperatures up quickly reminded me of something I've noticed a couple of times in my '15 TDI. At least twice now, in the roughly 13,000 miles I've driven mine since buying it at the end of January, I've noticed a regen beginning within just a couple of minutes of leaving the house in the morning. It's happened at the first stoplight I hit, less than a half-mile from my house, after very light throttle and speeds of 25 mph or less. These were cool mornings (mid-40's outside temps) and after the car sat all night, so all systems were cold.

Maybe that's normal for these to get warm enough to support a regen so quickly. But I was surprised by it.

Side note: my daily commute is about 225 miles, so it's pretty close to the roughly 250 miles I think I'm seeing between regens. So I tend to go through cycles of not noticing regens for a while, then a few days in a row where I'll notice them at the beginning or end of my commute.

But back on topic...

I'm very intrigued by this Bosch technology. This could be great for Diesel lovers. If I had to guess, when the Former VW Chairman recently mentioned the possibility of getting back into Diesels, maybe he had knowledge of Bosch's work on this.
Old April 28th, 2018, 07:03   #19
soldierguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Note that my hybrid's exhaust heat exchanger is post-catalytic converter, for precisely that reason. Recover heat to speed warm-up (helping engine durability, emissions, efficiency, and cabin comfort), but only what the cat doesn't need.

(Also, AFAIK the Gen 4 Prius now takes its EGR after that heat exchanger, meaning it doesn't need a separate EGR cooler, and because it's now post-cat, hopefully the intake clogging problems that the Gen 3 is known for will be reduced or eliminated.)
Funny...I traded a '16 Prius with 93,500 miles to get my '15 Jetta TDI.

Just for your info: somewhere around 80K miles, I peeked down inside the intake tube around the throttle plate. I couldn't see any oil puddling up or sludge buildup like the earlier generations had issues with, but I did see a light film of oil on everything. At 90K I had an intake cleaning done...basically they hook up a machine that then provides all the air getting into the engine, pressurize it all with air and a cleaner, then run the car while it's still hooked up to the machine and getting more cleaner. Clouds of gunk coming out of the tailpipe ensued. Made me think of Seafoam, but under pressure. That took care of the oily film I saw, and the car did run noticeably smoother after that.
Old June 29th, 2018, 09:33   #20
Billion003
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 Golf

Ohhhh, Wow...major technology advancement for diesel technology. So 21st century! Now I wonder if they will continue with the technology of...making a 2-door car...and a manual transmission. Or is this technology too difficult now?

Sarcasm...almost.

Last edited by Billion003; June 29th, 2018 at 19:51.
Old June 29th, 2018, 12:28   #21
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Well Bosch doesn't make cars, VW and other car companies do. Kind of missed the mark there.

Sarcasm...almost.
Old June 29th, 2018, 19:52   #22
Billion003
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 Golf

Understood and point taken. Just talking more broadly about the automotive industry as a whole.
Old July 10th, 2018, 14:02   #23
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 300hp

If you wanna stop pollution start by eating less meat, use less milk and less food waste. the no1 cause of whats happening to the weather.
it's all a fking joke
Old July 11th, 2018, 05:50   #24
MidwestMafioso

Fuel Economy: Best: 46.6 mpg, Avg: 41 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macradiators.com View Post
If you wanna stop pollution start by eating less meat, use less milk and less food waste. the no1 cause of whats happening to the weather.
it's all a fking joke

Cow farts and diesel emissions = the end of the world as we know it
Old July 11th, 2018, 13:39   #25
CWyatt

TDI(s): A4 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Sounds promising. Too bad they didn't develop this approach 10 years ago rather than looking for ways to game the system- or look the other way while VW did.
My thoughts exactly.
Old July 11th, 2018, 23:08   #26
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macradiators.com View Post
it's all a fking joke
Stop making more kids. The world did just fine when it only had 2 billion people on it. Now we're at what, 8 billion and growing? Even with highly efficient lives, the sheer numbers overwhelm the savings
Old July 12th, 2018, 04:27   #27
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicDoc View Post
Stop making more kids. The world did just fine when it only had 2 billion people on it. Now we're at what, 8 billion and growing? Even with highly efficient lives, the sheer numbers overwhelm the savings

That has been my point all along. But nobody seems to want to talk about it.

A friend of ours who is a nurse used to go to Africa every year for volunteer work through various organizations. She helped work with the AIDS epidemic there, especially working with prevention but also doing a lot with medication. AIDS is no longer a death sentence, as there are medications that if taken correctly can allow someone afflicted to live out a relatively normal life span. This is easy here in the USA, as taking medication daily is quite common for a lot of us for a lot of reasons. But in much of Africa, that is difficult. She worked to help people manage this, but as years went on, she realized that while they were able to help a lot of people live longer... in many cases helping them to live period... they ended up causing more issues with overcrowding and malnourishment. And when a particularly poor harvest happens one year, which it does from time to time, people starve. Especially children. So her task slowly but surely transformed from helping to keep people from dying from one thing, to helping to keep MORE people from dying from something else. Yet all along, the usually church-based (mostly Catholic) organizations she worked with didn't (and still don't) seem interested in trying to educate and prevent so many children from "happening" in the first place.
Old July 12th, 2018, 15:18   #28
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
That has been my point all along. But nobody seems to want to talk about it.

A friend of ours who is a nurse used to go to Africa every year for volunteer work through various organizations. She helped work with the AIDS epidemic there, especially working with prevention but also doing a lot with medication. AIDS is no longer a death sentence, as there are medications that if taken correctly can allow someone afflicted to live out a relatively normal life span. This is easy here in the USA, as taking medication daily is quite common for a lot of us for a lot of reasons. But in much of Africa, that is difficult. She worked to help people manage this, but as years went on, she realized that while they were able to help a lot of people live longer... in many cases helping them to live period... they ended up causing more issues with overcrowding and malnourishment. And when a particularly poor harvest happens one year, which it does from time to time, people starve. Especially children. So her task slowly but surely transformed from helping to keep people from dying from one thing, to helping to keep MORE people from dying from something else. Yet all along, the usually church-based (mostly Catholic) organizations she worked with didn't (and still don't) seem interested in trying to educate and prevent so many children from "happening" in the first place.
Let's not get started on the religion thing. So many have policies against birth control or the beliefs that more kids = better, quiver-full, fruitful and multiply, no concern about a limited planet because divine intervention will protect us. All I can say is educate, educate, educate. More education and better economic livelihood typically reduces the birth rate.
Old July 12th, 2018, 15:24   #29
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Not sure how we got into this but...

Capitalism relies on economic growth, which also relies on population growth. The economic issues that some European have are directly related to too-slow or shrinking populations. Our whole system relies on the next generation being bigger than the one before it.

If we were to talk about slowing population growth, we'd also have to look in the mirror and have a hard conversation about the things that Americans value. You'd have to move to planned economy...
Old July 12th, 2018, 15:41   #30
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevans View Post
Not sure how we got into this but...

Capitalism relies on economic growth, which also relies on population growth. The economic issues that some European have are directly related to too-slow or shrinking populations. Our whole system relies on the next generation being bigger than the one before it.

If we were to talk about slowing population growth, we'd also have to look in the mirror and have a hard conversation about the things that Americans value. You'd have to move to planned economy...
We don't need growth to live decently. Once we attained a certain level of technology, life wasn't very hard - lights, heat/AC, reliable food supply. We have it made if we can avoid destroying ourselves.
Closed Thread