www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old July 3rd, 2018, 19:02   #16
NoSmoke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2K2 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock-Mckoy View Post
My fuel injection pump has been ruined by the low sul diesel fuel. I replaced the top 2 large seals, all good. However, the bottom is now leaking profusely, won't start since it loses prime immediately, and that requires more money/time than the car is worth to me. .....
Do a search on injection pump seal replacement. There's a v good DIY here that many have followed. I replaced the three typically leaking seals myself and if I can do it, most everyone could. It's not that hard and the $ cost is minimal. Turfing a 120K car because of a leaking IP doesn't make sense IMO. BTW, no specialty tools are required.
Old July 7th, 2018, 12:35   #17
4JimmyVee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1700 ltr yr 45Mpg 5.3L/100k

Yes replace it the prices for this part in Toronto have come way down $4-600. btw my car has 372k miles and yes 400k is coming this year.
4JimmyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2018, 07:43   #18
goodmonkey
Veteran Member

Spock-Mckoy, did we scare you off with our opinions? Good luck with whatever you decide.
Previous TDI's: 1996 Passat TDI- totaled at 394k miles, 1998 Passat TDI - 175k miles, 2012 Passat TDI SE - 41k, 1996 Passat TDI Variant - 327k, 2014 Jetta SportWagon TDI 6MT - 29k, 2015 Passat TDI SEL - 18k, 2006 Jetta TDI 5MT - 261k
goodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2018, 09:03   #19

TDI(s): tdi less

The engines used in the 'new' TDI until the first change ('05?) are irreplaceable jewels, in the Jetta/manual one could easily acheive 57 mpg-US-and with just a bit of restraint 62 was doable. Yes we did have to keep it at 2k or so but back then it was a big game, imagine a 16 hour drive with almost 1/4 tank left.

But for a strut bushing only scheduled maint was required on the three versions we had, it was a huge mistake selling them however we were not faced with the repair that the op is looking at.

Still I believe that selling this car similarly will be regretted-big time.

How about bone yard parts?
1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2018, 15:42   #20
NoSmoke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2K2 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.8 View Post

How about bone yard parts?
Maybe I'm missing something here but why would bone yard parts be required? All I can gather here is that three IP seals were leaking. The OP apparently fixed the upper two but the leaking head seal remains. Now, replacing the upper seals is easier than replacing the head seal (O-ring) but the DIYs here explain how to do it w/o removing the pump and the procedure is pretty straightforward if the instructions are carefully followed. And the price is right (10 bucks for a new O-ring?). Why not do it?? It would be a shame to see a TDI with only 120K on it go to the crusher.
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:08   #21
Miser_TDI
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Heck, if you're donating it to them, I might be able to talk the wife into letting me drive up and get it from you. Better than the crusher, which is where a non-running car will go if donated.

Jason

*raises hand*

What Jason said.

How much you want for it?
Miser_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 06:03   #22

TDI(s): tdi less

NoSmoke, -I- interpreted the op as suspecting that the pump has been significantly damaged due to the lack of lubricity in ulsd AND an unwillingness to obtain the required tools for repair hence the suggestion that perhaps a complete unit from a salvage yard might be a consideration.
1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 02:03   #23
suchshutterfly

Fuel Economy: 44.8 avg 52.2 best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
If you are worried about insurance, just park it and take it off insurance until you need a car
In PA, we're supposed to turn in the plates the day the insurance is gone.
On the hunt for MKIV #2. Got a 2000-2003 Golf you'd like to see go to a good home? Email or PM me. Nowhere is too far as long as I can drive it back to NJ.
My Golf is my business partner. Acquired March 2, 2017. Cute but tough.
suchshutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 11:25   #24
Spock-Mckoy

TDI(s): 2002 Golf GL
Fuel Economy: 35 city/50 hi

Thanks for the comments. I asked a W guy if he wanted to buy it cheap and flip it. He has a shop. He said the resale is not going to recover his costs. I researched the value of the Golf as it sat. Not one offer covered the price of the new pump. For those who say replace the $1500 pump [plus specialty tools I'd need to purchase, plus find someone with the software to tune FI} to me are making an emotional decision and not a wise financial decision. I have 4 used tires on black painted steel wheels, 2 bottles of diesel purge, several new oil filters, repair manual for sale cheap. If anyone is in SW PA, and interested, contact me. As far as the donation to the Viet Vets, here is the latest. I got no email receipt yet. I DID get a call from the guy who bought it. From SW PA. He called my cell. I asked how he got my name/cell number. He said the tow truck company that towed it away left my name/address/cell number inside the car when it went to auction. Great.
Spock-Mckoy is offline   Reply With Quote