www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old June 21st, 2018, 18:24   #1
torc_sst_873

Fuel Economy: 49.xx
Default My $600 '03 Jetta TDI "Vicki"

Picked her up from Traverse City, MI a few weeks ago for $600 with "electrical issues" stated in the Craigslist ad.

After calling, I found out these electrical issues had gone away after they installed a new battery , but she was still only asking $600. Reasons being:

-Front and Rear Fascia scrapes
-2 windows would not roll down
-check engine light (she didn't know why, but said they looked at another Jetta with a CEL on, and said it was thermostat, so it was probably the reason on this car......)
-230,000 miles is a lot of miles for a car in her opinion

After having a buddy look at it, he said it was in great shape, it appeared to have the VW rocker warranty fix, so I went ahead and sent him the money to pick it up. He even talked her into a set of Nokian winter tires to go with the car!

My drive back to my parents, it was obvious the turbo wasn't spooling, and it had a terrible vibration when I hit the brakes, but other than that it seemed solid! It then made the 3 hour drive back to my house slowly, but with no issues.

I haven't had a lot of time to work on it, but so far it has received front brakes and a new tie rod end. I put the passenger front window back on the track, the left rear window motor is dead. The 2 codes it is throwing is 0128 and 0299. I've traced the source of 0128 to a broken plug on the thermostat. The 0299 has proven more frustrating. Looking at service records, it has a new Turbo as of 6 months ago. I've not found any vacuum leaks. I'm in the process of getting a new N75, I took this one apart to clean it, and it was disastrous inside. Hopefully that resolves that code.

In the near future, I'll be taking it to get a new timing belt (I don't have access to a VAGCOM for injection pump retiming). I will put a new serpentine belt on her. I would also like to get the wheels sandblasted and powdercoated white, and add Rally Armour mud flaps to giver her a bit of a rally look.

Anyways, I think I scored a good deal!

CYS Motorsports: TORC Super Stock Truck #873
Current: 2003 Jetta TDI ALH "Vicki"
Gone: 1997 Jetta TDI AHU "Joan" aka the winter beater
torc_sst_873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2018, 03:57   #2
torc_sst_873

Went ahead and replaced the N75 valve. Took Vicki out for a test drive, no luck, still have no boost and 0299 code. Decided to go ahead and take the EGR and manifold off for a cleaning. EGR valve was disgustingly dirty, so that got a good bath.

EGR:

During this process, I found that one of the bolt that holds the EGR flex tube to the cooler had a stripped hex head, so I couldn't completely remove the tube. Had my buddy weld a bolt to the hex head, put a wrench on it, it started to come out, and then snapped flush in the cooler.

Trying to decide what my next move is, either going ahead and delete the EGR+cooler, or remove it all to fix.

Old June 27th, 2018, 07:08   #3
Dieselmonkey02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 jetta
Fuel Economy: 48-50 avg. 44 lowest 54.6 highest

Anti seize, anti seize, anti seize! ��
Dieselmonkey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2018, 10:11   #4
torc_sst_873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmonkey02 View Post
Anti seize, anti seize, anti seize! ��
Absolutely. It appears whoever did the repairs for the previous owner, did not use the stock bolt, and they did not anti-seize. That bolt was not fully seated so I suspect the flex pipe was not fully seated against the cooler, which could contribute to some of my issues.
Old June 29th, 2018, 09:08   #5
ALHalltheway

TDI(s): 2001 jetta

I have a spare race pipe and EgR block off plate that I could sell you if you would be interested for an ALH

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
ALHalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote