TDI winter Fuel Additive - When to Use it.

egh2001

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Can anyone tell me when I should use a fuel additive during winter? I live in Michigan and it gets quit cold at night and was told that an additive may be needed for the fuel. At what temperature does diesel fuel gel? Thanks, and I love my 2002 Jetta.

SilverStreak

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE 6 speed
egh2001,
If you have the winterized #2 diesel already, usually it's mixed (with #1 diesel) to whatever the low temp is in your area. From what I read, diesel won't start to gel until around 0 degrees F. Some people could go either way on this subject but I would have to say start using it once it starts to get in the single digits, especial if you don't know if your fueling station has winterized fuel yet. I just jumped on the VW bandwagen just recently and started using a additive last week. It's gotten down in the 30 already here in Milwaukee but from what I read, an additive like Power Service can help your engine in a lot more ways than just to prevent gelling. Look at the different additive available in your area and look at there websites to see if they fit your needs. Also, do a search for fuel additives or winter additives on the site and you can see what others think about additives and what they recommend. Hoped my 2 cents helped.

-Rob

booty

Veteran Member
The seller of the diesel should know the gell point of the diesel they sell. One local station where I fill up has two grades currently clearly posted on the pumps. +10F and -15F. These will change as the fall turns to winter and temperatures drop with -60F available by mid November. I add a bit of power steering fluid as temps drop to lubricate the injection pump.

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
Where in Michigan are you?

MUCH has been written here about winter fuel additives, Use the "search" function. DON'T rely on a distributor to ensure that your fuel is useable for existing conditions. Lots of diesel drivers were caught by surprise a couple 3 years ago when temps took an early dive. What I do is use Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement. Wal-Mart sells it. The best price I can find is at Tractor Supply Co. Get the 3/4 gal. jug and add some before every fill-up and you'll not have winter start-up problems. Others use other stuff...I use PS/DFS.

It works for me.

If temps are going to be sustained below +40F...I would be adding something...

lance71137

TDI
Jetta,03,Blue
I had the same question. I called Power Service products (The makers of Diesel Kleen). They told me to start using the Winter Fuel additive as soon as the temperture outside is freezing (32F/0C).

Lance

jbagley

If you live in a cold area where the temperatures regularly go below freezing in the winter, the diesel should be sufficiently 'winterized' and you don't need to add any additives. I've been driving diesels for 6 years and have never had to add additives to the fuel (and it regularly goes to -20 deg. Celcius and below here in the winter).

egh2001

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Thanks for the info, I purchased a bottle of PowerSource Diesel additive today and plan to use it thru the winter months. I live in Morenci Michigan, about 70 miles south of Ann Arbor. Thanks again.

BongoBrains

Veteran Member
TDI
01' Golf GLS Silver/Blk
[ QUOTE ]
egh2001 said:
Thanks for the info, I purchased a bottle of PowerSource Diesel additive today and plan to use it thru the winter months. I live in Morenci Michigan, about 70 miles south of Ann Arbor. Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

70 miles South of Ann Arbor?!? That's Ohio last I knew. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Closer to 40 miles south of Jackson, but I digress...
If you haven't checked out Wacker Amoco in Manchester, you're in for a treat. I ran their B20/Premier blend for the last two winters w/o any gelling issues. Tim Wacker tests his fuel religiously, and was confident his B20 was good to -25F. Although I was initially sceptical, I ran it w/o additives last winter and never had a problem. Now that I'm up in Traverse City, I'm forced to blend my own, (although there is a local station selling B5). I'll be running PS 'White bottle' once things start to get frosty. I strongly encourage you to get your fuel at Wacker if you aren't already 'hip' to them...

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well I use Stanadyne Performance Formula every tank all year long. First and formost I use it for how it enhances the lubricity of the fuel for the injection pump. Then it lowers the gel point of the fuel, increases Cetane, emulsifies water...you can tell I like it. I buy it at http://www.dieselpage.com/add1.htm it is cheaper for me to buy it from them then to buy it locally.

You can also read all about it at http://www.stanadyne.com/dsg/showfile.asp?id=1295 VWoA has a TSB recommending the use of Stanadyne's Lubricity Formula for the reasons I stated above.

I get the pint bottles, poke a hole in the foil seal and squirt in 4 oz's every time I fill up. I want my injection pump to be happy with me for a long time.