CR140 Big Turbo Build

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Storx...I always look forward to your posts. Keep'em coming. Semper Fi.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
That's nice to hear from you guys. ... I've not change anything to my tune since I don't have the tuner currently. .. Some shop had there's go down so I sent mine for them to barrow tell they get it repaired

kyle_h

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI Execline R-Line
Not enough people care or think I do anything correct so I doubt it will ever happen. .... I get probably 2-3 complainers or trolls to every 1 honest person who cares

Haters gonna hate! Hah

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app, so that explains the typos...

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
This threads full of great info. Ive read it over 10 times i think throughout the 57 pages.
Constantly debating in going this route, or just waiting for the right gti(pp gti possibly) to arrive at work to make up my mind. Its pretty nuts with just a tune, how much more power they are getting on the new platform

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
Just an update so people don't think I'm giving up. .. i am waiting on parts from diesel dubs to install the cp4.2 fueling and I'm still waiting for response on receiving my tuner back from Mark Malone, I know he has been out of the country so that has been on hold I guess. ... Have the 2nd turbo for the compound setup in the near future also in the garage. .. waiting on more parts for that install

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
What LP turbo? With the GTB2260VK as HP or changing that to something more suited?

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to use the gtb2260 as the hp turbo. .. I don't see nearly as much bottom end lag as I do pd and alh cars I've rode in. .. Not going to crazy big but it's roughly the size of a gt30 turbo

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
What turbo exactly?
Your persistent.. haha
Its a turbo i got for FREE from buddy who upgraded it on his Dodge Cummins pickup.. It looks ruff, but it held 40psi via his boost controller daily and has near 0 shaft play.. about as much play as my stock GTB2260VK had out of the box..

I figured it wouldn't be to difficult to toss it on and try it out.. the MAIN reason i want to install it is the fact that during the day here in FLORIDA summer heat, i get on it more than 50% throttle the EGT's bounce off of the safety line set in the software and then i run back and forth off the defueling line.. once the sun drops and temps drop below 95ish i can WOT on it multiple times over and over before EGT's smack this safety line.. so i am hopeing that the extra turbo will allow the smaller 2260 to not work as hard during driving and also drop my EGT overall due to less work by each turbo...from talking to multiple truck guys who have experience with compound turbo setup.. they are estimating that it may increase the lagg of my GTB2260vk by 200-300rpms... but they said it would be hardly noticeable due to the narrow range between the two turbo's...they tried to talk me into going up to a larger turbo.. but i told them i wasnt looking for that much of an upgrade..

The other reason i am wanting to try compounds is that i tow things ALL the time with my jetta.. dirt bike/atv to the trails for riding, Jetski to the coast for water fun and occasional random stuff and my EGT's get soooo high on the highway with the trailer behind me just cruising with the cruise control on.. I also hope that the wastegate use can help us in further tuning with the issues of not being able to fully maximise bottom end response without the boost spiking over requested to easily.. so i am not really looking to make a TON of extra power out of this install.. its more of a safety upgrade to me with the benefit of more power potentially if need be..

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
That's a Holset HY35W with a 54mm comp inducer, 58mm turbine exducer and a 9cm turbine housing, am I right? ;)

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
What injector are you running again? How close are you to running out of injector? I know you maxed out the hpfp but that shouldn't be an issue with the cp4.2

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a Holset HY35W with a 54mm comp inducer, 58mm turbine exducer and a 9cm turbine housing, am I right? ;)
Honestly i dont know... there is no tag on the turbo.. there is numbers on the actuator.. but when i googled them.. they came up with nothing

What injector are you running again? How close are you to running out of injector? I know you maxed out the hpfp but that shouldn't be an issue with the cp4.2
They are the stock injectors.. i am unsure how close they are to maxed out.. honestly.. the only numbers i have been paying attention to is the pump..

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
how did you figure that all out based on the picture?i ask because when i asked friends who own dodges.. they told me hx35

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Injecters will shift the pcp/egt trade off to the bottom left slightly but there are limits as with everything. Also there comes a price and in this case I think the main effort will be to tune it so the engine behaves like stock again without a good duration map to start with..

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
Injecters will shift the pcp/egt trade off to the bottom left slightly but there are limits as with everything. Also there comes a price and in this case I think the main effort will be to tune it so the engine behaves like stock again without a good duration map to start with..
Could you please elaborate on this.. i am not as educated on all the technical as you are and would love to understand what your talking about more..

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
how did you figure that all out based on the picture?i ask because when i asked friends who own dodges.. they told me hx35
It is a HY35W for sure, from a Dodge with an Automatic transmission right?

HX35W always has a twin scroll turbine housing, turbine housing is bolted vs the v-band clamp used on HY. HX35W has actuator mounted on a bracket bolted to the turbine housing and is running a hose to the comp housing, the comp housing fixed actuator with the o-ringed steel line also gives away that this is a HY35W

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
It is a HY35W for sure, from a Dodge with an Automatic transmission right?

HX35W always has a twin scroll turbine housing, turbine housing is bolted vs the v-band clamp used on HY. HX35W has actuator mounted on a bracket bolted to the turbine housing and is running a hose to the comp housing, the comp housing fixed actuator with the o-ringed steel line also gives away that this is a HY35W
His said his truck had an Allison Transmission when he bought it.. so we are unsure of the history of the truck..

I had the turbo checked out today, they said the balance was spot on and the play was within normal range.. so hope to start getting stuff together to mount this thing under the car.. plan to mount it in an easy spot first due to the MASSIVE amount of room under the car, which would allow me to shoot straight up to the air inlet easy with minimal fabrication.. kinda a test install to reduce cost to see if the lag is to much or not with the turbo combo'd...

The turbo shop showed me a catalog of like 20 different turbine housing available for this turbo.. with even smaller turbine housings for quicker spool... should one of these be used possibly for increased spool??

I had the car up on the lift to do oil change over the weekend and i swore i took some pictures, but i cant seem to find them on my phone.. so ill have to do it again to show yall.. but i put some spare peaces of pipe i had laying around with some silicone couplings to ruff test if there is enough room and if i position the turbo facing directly forward and place the compressor cover either to the left or right of the tunnel hiding part of it behind the opening of the tunnel.. there is SOOOO much room to position piping through the tunnel and still have INCHES between them.. This would allow for minor pipework and just a oil pump to pump the oil back to the engine.. The turbo sits right over the support bracket down there and would allow me to mount it directly to this with a supporting bracket of some sort also..

I placed 2 x 2.25 inch peaces of pipe across the top of the tunnel roughly with tape and then a random 3 inch pvc pipe to visually look at home much room between them.. and there is over 8 inches between them if i placed the downpipe so it routed into the turbo from the far left or far right bottom area and angled it into the turbine with like 2 x 45 degree bends..or even a single 1 x 90 degree bend..

If turbo is mounted on the cross support.. there is enough room to run oil return from the turbo and over the support and back to the engine via a inline pump..

I swear that giant hole down there is just singing.. "turbo me"...

Last edited:

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
20 different turbine housings for HY35W? That would have been the sign for me to run away from that shop and never return as they do not know anything about your turbo. If anything I would have put on a bigger turbine housing as the choke flow of that 9cm will give you EMP problems as it is.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
I didnt mean they were ALL smaller.. they were just telling me that alot of the DSM guys run smaller turbine housing or.. one of their housing with double vband and such... it wasnt all about sizes.. it was just a mixture of different ones..

Stuff like this.. just example... of what i am talking about..