modifying engine mounts

orion2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf tdi
I was just curious if anyone here has tried modifying their stock engine and trans mounts to make them stiffer...and how was it done.

Last year I installed 1/2 of a stiff poly dogbone mount... as a result, my transmission mount seemed to take the force and now is really soft and worn out.

Rather that just replace it, I am doing an experiment with it. I took he bottom rubber block piece that supports the engine weight...it has 9 small hole through it for flexability...I drilled them out larger and filled them with polyurethane construction adhesive.

I did a similar thing to the top rubber piece. Then I inserted the rubber pieces into the metal pieces and filled the loose slop areas with more PL adhesive. This may end up being too stiff...i'm not sure. When I get the car running and test it I will post the results.

J double R

Fail Train Conductor
TDI
'00 Golf 4 door
majesty78 said:
I used some polyurethane rest material i cut of from my no more used powerflex bushes...then made a sheet metal casing to prevent them sticks to walk out of the spacings...

Greets, Alex
this found in another thread

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
In my last car (gen 1 FWD turbo eclipse), the mounts were so bad that the engine could move nearly a foot back and forth.

A common DSM trick I learned was to fill the gaps in the rubber mount isolators with 3-M windo-weld (made for installing windshields). It worked great, and only 12 bucks or so. Not sure if the TDI mount geometry allows for this.

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
A common DSM trick I learned was to fill the gaps in the rubber mount isolators with 3-M windo-weld
Did that - it works! :D

If you want to go off the deep end:

The cushion is an aftermarket 2nd generation DSM motor mount. There are more pics on my conversion thread.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend going there. It rattles everything in the truck. :p

orion2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf tdi
hmmm... I wonder if I should have used a different adhesive. The stuff I used is still really soft and seems to be curing too slowly.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Last night I filled every nook and cranny of the engine mounts with Souldal Fix All polyurethane based stuff. The window glue was recomended to me but couldnt find any so I used the Fix All instead. I know its very durable but still somewhat flexible so I think its going to work well. I know more when the engine is back in the car tough :D

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Have you tried to adjust the 1X16 map for N75 aswell? That combined with the regular N75 map make alot of it. That and the smoke map.

BTW are you running MAP based smokemap this time?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I made some H/D mounts for my Mk2, they are the same on a Mk3 too. Ive used a passat crossmember so i can use one of these mounts at the front

Standard Rubber mounts

Hockey puck

I used regular hockey pucks, they are exactly the correct size! I'm making up the gearbox side mount using a similar method.

Ry

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
are the mounts in a skoda that different then the mk4?

i have to one end figured out but the other i haven't the faintess unless it comes with more bits?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
devonutopia said:
I fitted a special dogbone mount to mine. I still use stock top engine mounts though.

I'm suprised you still use stock upper mounts, they tend to go bad frequently on ibiza PD130's.. both gearbox and timing belt side..

orion2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf tdi
REDNECKDZL said:
are the mounts in a skoda that different then the mk4?

i have to one end figured out but the other i haven't the faintess unless it comes with more bits?
I believe vw's and skodas are generally the same...just slightly different exterior design.

orion2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf tdi
I just went out to install the mount I had modded.... I was tightening down the 2 big bolts that hold it to the frame and one of them snapped off down in the frame! Now I'm screwed.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
they are stretch bolts and should only be used once then replaced!

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
yes, there are updates. many people sell stiffer engine mounts for the mk4 (for quite some time, and less hacked up). but they suck for the tdi, so stop lookin. or buy them and them sell them on vortex because you're teeth rattle out